Page 1 of 2
So I'm getting one of these babies for graduation and was curious if there was anything I would need to do, or could do to get a better performance. I play dark shit ala The Black Dahlia Murder, shitty Deathcore, Metalcore, and I play in my church band. What would be some good tubes to run for a dark sound that is still somewhat appeasing? Is the speaker ok? Is the 112 extension very helpful?

Btw, I have a Line 6 Uber Metal pedal for all my serious overdrive, in case someone thought that would be an issue.
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
Last edited by Dimefan69 at May 24, 2011,
Quote by Khaosdogg
You play in a church band, yet you play death metal.

Alright.

So do I and I don't see any issue with this.

on topic: I've herd JJ brand preamp tubes can darken your tone some.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Define dark? I can't say that those tones are SUPER dark. They can be somewhat dark, but nothing that you can't achieve by turning some knobs. I honestly think that the HT-40's own distortion with a slight boost from a light overdrive pedal (if need be) would sound loads better than that pedal.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Actually come to think of it, the tone I'm going for is probably somewhat bright. And I was thinking of getting a Line 6 M5 for the lighter overdrive, plus all the other stuff it has, the Uber Metal just picks up all the punch I like.
get the amp and test it out before you go worrying about it doing this or that.

it's got a decent gain structure on it's own.

perfect for deathpraise actually.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^praisecore?

You could try swapping out the 70/80 speaker.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
All i use with my ht-40 is a tube screamer type pedal as a boost. You'll wanna use the modern voicing on the OD channel, which is nice and heavy and you can tweak the EQ to darken it nicely but keep it clear and articulate. The amp alone has plenty of gain, but backing it off about halfway and boosting it keeps everything tight, fat, and punchy. Using a Line 6 Uber Metal pedal for distortion when you have a Blackstar amp is a disservice to society.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT1XzOoZ1ZY&feature=related

That is a really close approximation of the tone I've been shooting for, and boosting my ht-40 gets me damn close.
Last edited by jon.peebles at May 25, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020
get the amp and test it out before you go worrying about it doing this or that.

I agree. If you don't know what is lacking from the amp, how will you know what to change to get you the tone you want?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I have one and it pretty much covers all bases brilliantly. I'm really struggling with my conscience to plug any effect into it as the tone and variation is soooo good. Like jon peebles I may consider a boost but thats all!
My brother actually bought the Blackstar HT-60 Soloist about a week ago. Its amazing, i'd recommend it to anyone....

Going off of the basis of him owning a Blackstar (and me playing it quite frequently)...i would say that you wouldnt have to do much to get a good modern metal tone. All i have to do to get a good modern distortion tone with his Blackstar is turn the ISF switch on the American setting...and then EQ it right (generally scooped mid's or something like that)

Im assuming the same can be done for the HT-40...maybe buy a metal pedal like this:
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/electro-harmonix-xo-metal-muff-with-top-boost-distortion-guitar-effects-pedal/153339000000000

I have one of those and its pretty much the perfect "Metal" pedal for me...it NAILS modern distortion and overdrive, damn near perfectly (atleast to my ears)

But anyway, overall...maybe just some EQ and a metal pedal or something of the like (possibly a boost pedal) will get you the tone your looking for. Have fun with the amp, i'm actually debating on whether or not buying one lol...the Carvin V3m is good, but maaaan the tones from that Blackstar are great.

EDIT: I dunno about the speaker though...his seems pretty good, its a 12' Celestion speaker (I dont know what type exactly)....he mentioned swapping it out for a better speaker (probably a Celestion V30 or something) but at the moment (in his own words) he is "Happily Content with everything the amp has to offer"
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at May 25, 2011,
I'm actually considering buying an HT-60 off of a guy for $575, is the Soloist pretty much the same or an improvement? The only reason I ask is because I've done a lot of researching on the 40 and don't want to start from scratch, but the 60 is really a deal.

Tone wise, what I'm going for is something that really locks up when I palm mute but has a nice smooth high gain, not a lot of break up, just nice and clear. If you know what I mean. More punch than bass really. And when I go up high I want it to be nice and searing, not dry.
Last edited by Dimefan69 at May 25, 2011,
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
Im assuming the same can be done for the HT-40...maybe buy a metal pedal like this:
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/electro-harmonix-xo-metal-muff-with-top-boost-distortion-guitar-effects-pedal/153339000000000

I have one of those and its pretty much the perfect "Metal" pedal for me...it NAILS modern distortion and overdrive, damn near perfectly (atleast to my ears)

I've had one of these and there was way too much treble, the low notes were very weak, and not punchy.
He honestly won't need to buy a metal distortion pedal. The amp has enough gain that if he just backed the amp gain off and gave it a light boost, he would get a tight and fat distortion right then and there (again provided he EQs it correctly). It seems like a nice amp for the price and I was going to get one, but I had second thoughts.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
What is a good boost pedal to really push it to the limit? I know everybody praises the tube screamer but is there one more fitted for my goal? Maybe one with a 3 band?
Quote by Dimefan69
What is a good boost pedal to really push it to the limit? I know everybody praises the tube screamer but is there one more fitted for my goal? Maybe one with a 3 band?

yeah, there is one... its call the amps' EQ.

Dude, why stack one EQ on top of another? Wouldn't that just mess up your amp's EQ settings?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
It just allows me more tweaking, makes me feel better.
Quote by Dimefan69
It just allows me more tweaking, makes me feel better.

Sometimes, less is more. If you want that much tweaking power, get the MXR 10 band EQ. Generally speaking, dist pedals are usually the ones with a 3 band EQ, not so much ODs.

If you want to make drastic changes, do it on the amp's tone stack, it'd be a more powerful tone shaping tool as compared to a OD's tone stack.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at May 25, 2011,
I've considered the 10 band, I'll look into it later. Still trying to figure out the boost.
Fulltone OCD, in 18V mode, one of the better "booteek" OD pedals around these days.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Does anybody ever demo these things over a dirty channel? All I ever find is some guy running it over his clean chords, that doesn't help me in the slightest.
If you OD your dirty channel, you'd end up saturating it even more, unless your gain is set low. Unlike the TS9, the OCD doesn't do the whole "tighten" your bass thing from what I can hear on mine.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
So you're saying the OCD doesn't do what I'd want it to do? All I'm saying is I don't want a little saturation. I go hard, like, over the top some would say. But I want something that CAN back off for when I'm in a mood. So I need a boost that can send me to some nasty depth of hell when I'm jamming out.
I'll say that after getting my 40, I've taken my distortion (Damage Control Solid Metal), boost (Blackstar HT-Boost) and overdrive (Blackstar HT-Drive) pedals off my board - the gain channel sounds good enough by itself I felt I just didn't need them.
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by Dimefan69
So you're saying the OCD doesn't do what I'd want it to do? All I'm saying is I don't want a little saturation. I go hard, like, over the top some would say. But I want something that CAN back off for when I'm in a mood. So I need a boost that can send me to some nasty depth of hell when I'm jamming out.

O.o

Either our understandings of OTT distorted signal is completely misaligned or your tone is in serious need of work.

The OCD is not called an obsessive compulsive drive for nothing. It's got more gain than most people will need. I usually don't put it past 12 o'clock on my MkV, and I play melo-death.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
But you said it doesn't tighten up, which, honestly is my main concern.
Quote by Dimefan69
But you said it doesn't tighten up, which, honestly is my main concern.

The Tubescreamer pedals ground some of the bass frequencies, which make the mids more prominent, hence "tightening" your tone.

The OCD doesn't do that.

in comparison, the TS is a moderate gain pedal. Whereas the OCD is tonnes more gain on tap.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Dimefan69
I'm actually considering buying an HT-60 off of a guy for $575, is the Soloist pretty much the same or an improvement? The only reason I ask is because I've done a lot of researching on the 40 and don't want to start from scratch, but the 60 is really a deal.

Tone wise, what I'm going for is something that really locks up when I palm mute but has a nice smooth high gain, not a lot of break up, just nice and clear. If you know what I mean. More punch than bass really. And when I go up high I want it to be nice and searing, not dry.

From what i can tell, the HT-60 Soloists only upgrades over the HT-40 is the Solo Boost that is built in (allows for 10db of boost and is footswitchable) and a Presence knob. Aside from that, im pretty sure they have the same exact tubes, speaker and tones (I've heard the Soloist is higher gained, but from my time with it and the HT-40, i couldnt tell much of a difference)
I just know some of the things were like the Line Out, which it probably has. And the ability to be a monitor when Lined Out by having the standby on or off. Can the 60 do those thing?
Quote by Dimefan69
I've had one of these and there was way too much treble, the low notes were very weak, and not punchy.

The Metal Muff is ALRIGHT....for a budget its pretty good. I've tried a few of the signature Blackstar Gain Pedals and they're really good, i dont know if they're what your looking for but you might as well take a peek at them.

Theres the Dual Tube Gain, High Gain, HT DIST X....theres several, but i've only tried the Dual Tube gain, which was actually really good (just at the time i couldnt afford it)
Quote by Dimefan69
I just know some of the things were like the Line Out, which it probably has. And the ability to be a monitor when Lined Out by having the standby on or off. Can the 60 do those thing?

I dunno...I dont want to say yes, then be wrong. I do know that if your into higher gain music and good cleans, the 60 SHOULD NOT disappoint. If the 40 can be monitered while having the standby on or off....im sure the 60 can too.

All i can say is that i've played both, and both are really good....if i had to choose i would pick the 60 because of the built in solo boost and presence knobs...for 100$ you might as well upgrade to it.

Honestly....seeing as your name is Dimefan69...if you wanted a Pantera type tone, i would recommend a 6505 or a Krank Krankenstein Jr. to you...i've tried both of those, and the Krank has good cleans and distortion on tap (i cant say the 6505 has the best cleans WHATSOEVER, but it does have insane distortion on tap).

The Blackstar HT-60 is still probably the best (and true) recommendation i can give to you though. I've spent ALOT of time with it and i can honestly say that its a REALLY good amp. It has UH-MAZING cleans and damn good distortion on tap (not insane amounts, but it gets the job done). Especially if you play at a church and a metal band...with a pedal you could probably nail both tones on the head.

feel free to ask another question if need be
Yea, the 6505 has crossed my mind, but I played one and was just not impressed, plus, I don't want to have a balls out amp and then have just that, always. I like to be able to back off and get something smooth, which is why the 60 is drawing me. I can get one for $600 so I'll definitely be buying that instead of the 40.
Quote by Dimefan69
Yea, the 6505 has crossed my mind, but I played one and was just not impressed, plus, I don't want to have a balls out amp and then have just that, always. I like to be able to back off and get something smooth, which is why the 60 is drawing me. I can get one for $600 so I'll definitely be buying that instead of the 40.

Trust me, you wont be dissapointed. It really is a good amp, well worth the money

EDIT: And ya, the 6505 is pretty much a one trick pony....but it does what its meant to do very well....
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at May 25, 2011,
I think I'll be plenty happy with the amp, and then anything else I want I'll take it up to Guitar Center and just put stuff in front of it til I find what I like.
Is the emulated output on the back of the HT 60 like a line out to go straight into a PA?
I believe so...yes. I know people say this alot (and it essentially makes forums like this pointless)...but i would resort to Google. Possibly go to the Blackstar webpage/homepage and look up some of their stuff...thats where i learned about the speakers and stuff
Quote by Dimefan69
So I'm getting one of these babies for graduation and was curious if there was anything I would need to do, or could do to get a better performance. I play dark shit ala The Black Dahlia Murder, shitty Deathcore, Metalcore, and I play in my church band. What would be some good tubes to run for a dark sound that is still somewhat appeasing? Is the speaker ok? Is the 112 extension very helpful?

Btw, I have a Line 6 Uber Metal pedal for all my serious overdrive, in case someone thought that would be an issue.

You don't want this amp. You want a peavey 6505, triple x or ultra.
I'd go for the ultra if you want the versatility to play in your church band

Bin the pedal. Its rubbish.

blackstar ht40 isnt all tube as advertised either. SOLID STATE SHENANIGANS.

(yes i went there)

Its probably ok though from what i've heard from people. I just hate there advertising

but yeah line 6 uber metal dont turn it into any less of a tube amp.
Dont turn it into a line 6 spider 2's insane channel

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Last edited by coolstoryangus at May 25, 2011,
You don't want this amp. You want a peavey 6505, triple x or ultra.
I'd go for the ultra if you want the versatility to play in your church band

Bin the pedal. Its rubbish.

blackstar ht40 isnt all tube as advertised either. SOLID STATE SHENANIGANS.

(yes i went there)

Its probably ok though from what i've heard from people.

Please don't start hating on an amp that you've never tried, and definitely don't flat out tell someone that "You don't want this amp." If you go out and try an HT-40 maybe you'll decide it's not for you. Hell, maybe you'll hate it. Which is fine. But knocking an amp (with virtually unanimous positive feedback, no less) without playing it yourself is just ignorant. Also, Blackstar doesn't market these as 'all tube amps'. They DO market them as 'valve amps', which they very much are. In an article on Blackstar's website there is a section about the HT-5 where the guys who designed it discuss how they came up with some "clever op amp circuits" to get the amp to sound the way it does. It seems pretty logical to assume similar circuitry is used in the rest of the HT series. If they were trying to market these as "all tube" they would likely leave out the part where they explicitly say they use solid state circuitry.
Page 1 of 2