On James Iron Cross guitar the gold pickups look worn to hell and back and so does the other parts on the guitar. How do you acheive this look? I dont care about the vintage on the paint itself but I like the vintage guitar parts. Know any company that can make pickups such as this but still acheive a metal sound?
Those Pickups are his standard EMG 81/60 combo but with different covers put on them, aged gold ones. Im sure you could find a tech who could do this for you
Quote by Necrotise
Those Pickups are his standard EMG 81/60 combo but with different covers put on them, aged gold ones. Im sure you could find a tech who could do this for you

The thing is, you can't remove the covers on EMGs since they're sealed shut with epoxy and you can't fit new covers over the existing ones.
Quote by Pikka Bird
The thing is, you can't remove the covers on EMGs since they're sealed shut with epoxy and you can't fit new covers over the existing ones.

A quick search has led me to discover you can however buy EMGs in a chrome casing. Then it's just a case of ageing them. I would recommend ageing them naturally, with your own sweat from playing, rather than by artificial means.
I'm sure if you looked hard enough, you could probably find them in a gold casing as well.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Well its only epoxy, they're not welded shut. It makes it more complicated but its still possible, my evidence being that James Hetfield and others have done it, just run a google search for 'replacing emg covers'.

Quote by robhc
I'm sure if you looked hard enough, you could probably find them in a gold casing as well.
You can now get EMG's in Gold and Silver covers however if hes trying to get it exactly the way James has it then its just not the same as they havent got the visible pole peices
Last edited by Necrotise at May 25, 2011,
^Yeah, that's an option. The problem is that you can't successfully submerge the whole pickup like you would with a seperate cover so you'd have to be patient and apply the muriatic acid some other way, for instance draping an acid-soaked dishcloth over the pickup.
Last edited by Pikka Bird at May 25, 2011,
^You're not actually supposed to apply the acid. You just let the fumes corrode the metal. But nonetheless leaving a pick up in the fumes of acid for a few hours my have some other adverse affects on the pickup itself.
^Damn, you're right... I was confusing it with something else. But yeah, if it's the fumes that do it then I'd say good luck and just cross your fingers that it won't mess up anything important (though it might).
Custom made EMG's with aged gold finish simple as it is
"Rise and rise again until lambs become lions!"
Quote by Kalo Hanaka
No, you shouldn't pour beer on your guitar.
theres EMG pickups that you get buy with gold covers on them...as well as silver....

OR just wait and buy the EMG James Hetfeild Signature Set when they come out...they look extremely promising
I hate all of you...my opinion is my own...take it or leave it