Well the title pretty much sums it up. I've had my vh140c for almost 2 years now and it's an awesome amp but I'm not sure it's really what I'm looking for. While I can nail that old school death metal tone I haven't been able to really get any really modern sounding metal tones to it. In addition, maybe it's just me, but I think it sounds a bit digital, and the 5150 sounds more organic I guess.

I love the tone of the 5150, but I also love my vh140c, and I don't want to make a decision I will regret later. Thoughts?

I would try to find a 5150 212 combo, and I play mostly in my bedroom...it's really a pain having a halfstack in your room lol
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
I would recommend a 5150 II rather than the original for what you described.

As for space, Theres 2x12 cabs.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

As for space, Theres 2x12 cabs.

Yeah I wish I could get a 212 man but I'm not trying to deal out like 400 for a nice 212 when a 5150 combo costs like 500 used

I've always heard that the 5150 combo sounds more like the 5150-ii head than the original anyways

Any other opinions on if this would be a good trade for me?
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
Quote by Offworld92

I wouldn't.

The 5150 II/6505+ is much smoother and more muddy. More versatile, but lacks the oomph the 5150/6505 has. To each their own though, I much prefer the original for modern metal
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I wouldn't.

The 5150 II/6505+ is much smoother and more muddy. More versatile, but lacks the oomph the 5150/6505 has. To each their own though, I much prefer the original for modern metal

The II does lack balls, and it is smoother. That's what makes it sounds more modern to me.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Dude Peavey sucks save a little more and buy an Orange Rockerverb or VHT Deliverance.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by maddnotez
Dude Peavey sucks save a little more and buy an Orange Rockerverb or VHT Deliverance.

Hahaha no thanks

Quote by MatrixClaw
I wouldn't.

Hey man I know you used to have both of these amps, would you say it's a good idea for me to get the 5150?
Quote by wolvenrick
Last edited by chrisg7 at May 24, 2011,
Quote by maddnotez

Trollololol ignorance.
peavey sux you should buy a dumble

seriously though

TS the decision is totally up to you..
It sounds like you want to change to tube so i'd go for it personally.
Quote by coolstoryangus
peavey sux you should buy a dumble

seriously though

TS the decision is totally up to you..
It sounds like you want to change to tube so i'd go for it personally.

Yeah that's probably true, like I said though I just don't want to do something I'll regret later
Quote by wolvenrick
Quote by maddnotez

modern metal

modern metal, the genre in which every band uses or has used a 5150/6505, XXX or JSX for at one point or another

TS, if you regret it later you can always sell the Peavey and get another Ampeg, or maybe even something else.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Yeah I think I've pretty much made up my mind on the 5150, good points guys thanks for the help.

Anyone know How loud will it be compared to my vh140c?
Quote by wolvenrick
Quote by chrisg7
Hahaha no thanks

Hey man I know you used to have both of these amps, would you say it's a good idea for me to get the 5150?

I really don't like the 2x12 combo, so I wouldn't suggest buying that one. It's like a cross between the 5150/6505 and the 5150 II/6505+, which is a bad thing IMO

The 5150 is probably a bit louder than the VH-140C, though it really wouldn't matter, I don't think you'll ever turn either up all the way
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com