o after 10 years of being away from music I have decided that I want to go back to it. So as such I have been on the hunt for a guitar and after much looking I have narrowed my options to 3 different ones.

First one is the Ibanez ART100.
Pros: I just love the simplicity of that guitar and it's got a great neck in true fashion of all the Ibanez guitars. I really like the location of the pickup selector as I always felt that it standard LP location felt obtrusive.
Cons: The simple clean neck can get a bit tedious as there are issues with under/over shooting as the only visible dots are on the top of the neck. The stock pickups do a good job but they sound a bit dry and it's not something I would go for long before switching it to a pair of Seymour Duncan's so further investment is in order.

Second one is ESP EC-256.
Pros: FIrst thing I noticed about it is the paint job. I really like it's distressed finish. It ads a lot of personality to the guitar. It's got a beautiful neck and it runs smoothly and I extremely like jumbo frets. It sound great even with it's stock pickup and I really like the Push/Pull master tune. The stock pickups (while not being of the highest grade) do sound great and it's very versatile, suits for almost any genre.
Cons: As I've mentioned earlier, I do find the location of the pickup selector to be obtrusive but it's not something I can't change myself. I did find the action to be higher at factory setting and it's not something I won't be able to change myself but dealing with string action is not something I would like to do on a new guitar.

And lastly The Epiphone Les Paul standard. Pros: Sound quality single to none save for Gibson Les Paul. Insane amount of sustain. Get the feel of playing a les paul with almost a third of the price.
Cons: While it's Gibson cousin have an impeccable build quality Epiphone have been know to come with problems and defects right off of the factory line. People have been reporting of defective pickup selectors, cracked headstock and necks, volume and tune knobs falling off the pot shaft and defects in the finish, and difficulties keeping the stings in tune (which points to defective tuners).

I do plan to buy it around fall so the price of some might vary.

Thanks.
Last edited by SuperJew66 at May 24, 2011,
My epi dot came perfect with no flaws, but then neither did my Gibson LP.
2010 Epiphone Dot
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
2009 Taylor 110 acoustic
try all before you buy. Try as many of each model as you can to find the one you like the most. No two guitars are ever the same sound and playability-wise, so playing what you're willing to actually buy is vital
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
try all before you buy. Try as many of each model as you can to find the one you like the most. No two guitars are ever the same sound and playability-wise, so playing what you're willing to actually buy is vital

this. also, if you can pony up for a 400 series LTD, it will be significantly better than the 256 you listed there
Quote by krehzeekid
this. also, if you can pony up for a 400 series LTD, it will be significantly better than the 256 you listed there

THe only noticeable difference between the tow is the Seymour Duncan PUS and the belly curvature on the back. I can always pick up a par of SD's during the holiday season when shops have mad sales on inventory and not pay $200-300 more for it.
Quote by SuperJew66
THe only noticeable difference between the tow is the Seymour Duncan PUS and the belly curvature on the back. I can always pick up a par of SD's during the holiday season when shops have mad sales on inventory and not pay $200-300 more for it.

not quite. the 400 also features a better set of tuners, a better bridge, better electrical components, as well as the SD pickups. it is worth the money

that being said, the 256 isn't a terrible guitar. the pickups are pretty average, but otherwise its decent for the money
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

Thanks for the additional info. Will check them out next time I am in the store.