So I just got hired as a sous chef for a restaurant in my area. I've never worked in a restaurant before, let alone in the kitchen, so I was wondering if any Pit dwellers have any tips for me?

PS it's a small kitchen, so there will be no ejaculating in any foodstuffs, no molesting of attractive waitstaff, or any such debauchery.
Don't screw up.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Thanks man. I was planning on screwing up, but then you said, "Don't screw up." And I thought, "Y'know, maybe I shouldn't screw up...."
Quote by trueamerican
there will be no ejaculating in any foodstuffs

Guys, I will not jizz in any food. Unless I'm going to be eating it, because you know how everyone loves their own brand.
Quote by trueamerican
So I just got hired as a sous chef for a restaurant in my area. I've never worked in a restaurant before, let alone in the kitchen, so I was wondering if any Pit dwellers have any tips for me?

PS it's a small kitchen, so there will be no ejaculating in any foodstuffs, no molesting of attractive waitstaff, or any such debauchery.

???
^ Nah brah. The owner and head chef graduated from the French Culinary Institute. It's pretty legit.
Quote by trueamerican

And you call yourself Don Draper? Psssffst.
My friend used to work as a sous chef last year, he was only 16 and hes an idiot so it couldnt be that hard
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
You've never worked in a restaurant and you got hired as a sous chef? How'd that happen? takes years for most people to get there. That'll look great on you resume in the future.

As for what to do- listen to the chef. Dont argue. When he says "do this", or "Do it this way" dont say why. Just say YES CHEF. Seriously, chefs are serious about that.

Good luck in the kitchen btw. Get yourself some good knives, I suggest Mercer or Shun.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
kill the head chef and make him into chili. then you will be in charge and then you can do whatever you want. plus you'll have all that chili at little to no cost. it's a fool proof plan.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
If you have a customer called suzie, don't jizz in her potatoes.

Yeah, we suzies hate that.
you're gonna be doing pretty much all of the cooking, but its shouldn't be hard once you get everything down, as someone said before just do it and say yes chef
Quote by trueamerican

I have worked in a small resturant kitchen before and I learned a couple of things. it might seems like common sense but it's important none the less.
1. Get organized! If you organize and plan your work process in almost every detail you greatly reduce the chance of people getting in the way of each other.
2. Prepare! It really speed things up. If you store things right, you can prepare vedgetables in almost a week in advance, if do it right.
3. Know how your coworkers work. To move around a small kitchen when it's busy can be a delicate dance - learn it well.

I am sorry, I don't have time to go into detail but this is the headlines
Alright people, Move along - there is nothing to see.
"Or so you think..."
I'm going through "tryouts" first. But I've been cooking for a long time, so I'm not too worried.
Don't get chopped, bro.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Showing up on time is important.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
you know that the cooking business is one of the hardest?

you screw something up you are out. and sous chef is the second highest "rank" right after the chef.

you said you never worked in this type of job? i am wondering you even got this job. you are in a lot of trouble dude
Quote by trueamerican
I'm going through "tryouts" first. But I've been cooking for a long time, so I'm not too worried.

Dude, cooking in a commercial kitchen is a whole other ball game. When you;ve got 10 order of 10 different things that need to go out the window at the same time, that cooking experience doesnt mean sht. Its all about organization, timing, and execution. Cooking skill is oddly enough one of the least necessary things for a cook to have.

Also, I'm a cook, been a chef from time to time, thats why I say this. Working in a kitchen takes a certain attitude as well. You'll learn it, and if you have it you'll probably be fine. Dont take the try outs lightly though, theyll probably have you working your ass off.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Last edited by racman92 at May 24, 2011,
Yeah, english isn't the chef's first language, so I'm thinking he used the wrong word.... I'm assuming I'm starting out as the prep bitch.
Quote by trueamerican
Yeah, english isn't the chef's first language, so I'm thinking he used the wrong word.... I'm assuming I'm starting out as the prep bitch.

Sous is a french term. Is he french? French chefs take the hierarchy VERY seriously.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Ah, then he may have just used the wrong term.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Maybe a commis chef?

That's normally desserts and prep.

This may be it, thats what I started as.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Yeah, probably. I'm really excited though, because I've wanted to work in a restaurant for a long time.
Yeah, I was just walking around the downtown area where all the restaurants are. I walked in everywhere asking if there were any job openings. Got some "we'll call you"s, some nos, some 汉语/漢語, etc.
Quote by trueamerican
Yeah, probably. I'm really excited though, because I've wanted to work in a restaurant for a long time.

Well, I wish you luck. This can be a really fun, lucrative, and enjoyable business for the right kind of person. Its a very stressful business, but you learn to deal with that. In the wrong people, it pretty much just leads to drug use and alcohol abuse. Thats only those who cant handle the pressure though.
The first week or 2 may be really rough, because the chef will want to see how far he can push you. Dont give in, just grin and bare it and do your best. That is one ability that exec chefs love to see, because its a very useful skill for cooks.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
If you're a commis chef you'll probably start on starters, deserts and general food prep. Don't be afraid to ask questions and if you mess up say so and don't send food out that isn't right no matter how embaressing.

Also cleanliness is key clean as you go along and make sure you get all the stuff that you probably wouldn't clean at home like door seals and such.

Then again I was half kitchen porter half commis chef when I worked in a kitchen so it was probably a different experience. It was just me and one chef doing breakfast, lunch and dinner seven days a week. Needless to say I left.

Also don't get in a fluster as it will just make things more difficult. Work out a system with the tickets and stick to it.

If they shout at you don't get annoyed or take it personally as chefs tend to get quite angry. And rule number 1 never walk behind a chef without announcing your presence.
Last edited by Greenie_777 at May 24, 2011,
Considering chef is french for chief, do what they say, without question. Food-wise, evidently.

Erm, just be on your guard really, get your timing sorted, and always use type 44 flour in sauces. It's thinner and mixes easier, creating a smoother sauce. Oh, and don't try and cut things without looking at them.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Will it help that I've been cooking for almost 15 years or no? Because I obviously will not be "engineering" new dishes or anything, and I'll probably just be chopping shit, so I'm wondering if experience actually means anything.
Quote by trueamerican
Will it help that I've been cooking for almost 15 years or no? Because I obviously will not be "engineering" new dishes or anything, and I'll probably just be chopping shit, so I'm wondering if experience actually means anything.

Practice up on your knife skills, and get a chart that has the measurments for all of them. Thats important as a prep chef. Experience probably wont mean a whole lot.

BIG piece of advice- get Anthony Bourdaine's book "Kitchen Confidential." Get it, read it, and take what he says seriously.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Ejaculate in foodstuff.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Pink Floyd

#Ziggy2017
Quote by racman92
Practice up on your knife skills, and get a chart that has the measurments for all of them. Thats important as a prep chef. Experience probably wont mean a whole lot.

BIG piece of advice- get Anthony Bourdaine's book "Kitchen Confidential." Get it, read it, and take what he says seriously.

I second this. Also pratice doing things fast. When you are cooking by yourself at home, time is not an issue but when you have guest waiting for their food, every secound counts.
Alright people, Move along - there is nothing to see.
"Or so you think..."