I've been playing guitar for a good couple of years now so i know my way around the fretboard, i can shred pretty well and i know how to write reasonably good melodies, the only trouble is, i cant riff.

Most of the riffs i use end up being on one or 2 strings or use the power chord shape in some way.

Can anyone help me get out of this habit?
A riff only has to sound good, it doesn't have to be complicated.
Arguing on the Internet is a lot like being in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded
I know, but i keep finding myself in the same pattern with all my riffs sounding exactly the same :L it can get very annoying.
Stop trying to write stuff with the guitar in your hand.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Learn some cool riffs that use more than just two strings from popular bands you like, then you know what to do more (without copying them) and you can come up with your own ideas.
Quote by steven seagull

this^

try to write it on paper or on guitar pro. this should allow you to do whatever since you don't have to work with your own muscle memory habits...
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by steven seagull

I agree with Seagull. From experience, I see that good song ideas come easier when you "try to make the sound" in your head (as strange as that sounds), and not try to write the song with the guitar in your hands.

Also, try to use a mix of several different ideas, such as open strings, arpeggios, chords, slides, bends, hammer-ons and pull-offs, etc, in your riffs. Most of these techniques are used in lead guitar, but help make for exciting sounding licks as well.