I am going to to buy a new guitar soon, and it will be MIM standard stratocaster, or FSR strat with two humbuckers. Here is the second one. I can buy second guitar on discount, and, judging from few clips I found, it sounds good and looks like a good deal. What do you think about FSR strat? Has anybody played it?
Last edited by spothead at May 24, 2011,
I dont imagine its very different from the standard strat.

Not played it, but all i can spot from the specs is better tuners, and the fact its got routing for a neck pup (obviously, which the standard hasnt, always a plus). No ID on the pickups, not a good thing.

Specs for the neck look the exact same, but you dont know unless you play it really.

If you can find it to play it and prefer it then go for it, but if not and you can live without the neck humbucker then just get a HSS standard IMO.

Better yet, find a used MIM, the early 90s ones are much nicer and go for pittance on ebay, then you have extra cash to swap hardware and pickups, voila, you've got a strat that'll compete with an MIA for cheapz.
no "mexican" guitar can compete with american guitars. its just simply wrong to think that.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by jimihendrix6699
no "mexican" guitar can compete with american guitars. its just simply wrong to think that.

Well, the FSR that TS has picked out is Mexican made.

When will people learn:
FSR's (Factory Special Run) are unique to the dealer.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
Well, the FSR that TS has picked out is Mexican made.

When will people learn:
FSR's (Factory Special Run) are unique to the dealer.

yea, and im saying mexican guitar wont be good as american ones. he should look for a USA strat used instead of the mexican knock-offs
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by jimihendrix6699
yea, and im saying mexican guitar wont be good as american ones. he should look for a USA strat used instead of the mexican knock-offs

I'm sorry, I guess my computer must be messed up cause it's not loading the the part of the Original Post where the TS asked us to suggest him different guitars, becuase to me the OP is just asking about a very specific Fender FSR.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
One more question. What do you think about this guitar - Classic Series 60's Stratocaster? Maybe it would be the best option. Actually, standard strat is the most expensive of those 3 here, FSR costs about 90 euros less.
Quote by jimihendrix6699

They aren't knock offs, just more affordable guitars for the people who can't/don't want to spend over 1000$ for a guitar.
While I agree that American Fenders are "better", MIM Fenders are pretty solid instruments for the money.
Quote by jimihendrix6699

so all of your vast experience with fender guitars has brought you to this conclusion? a MIM strat is every bit a "real" fender and not a knock off. same with the japanese made ones. while it is easier to find a quality american made fender that doesn't automatically make them better all the time. dude my cat is older than you, so try not to look like an idiot spouting the same crap found on many internet boards that have no basis in reality. i bought my first Fender in 82 and i can assure you that many MIMs i've played were way better than that one was even though it was american made.
Thank you for your answers, but let's not turn this into MIM Vs. MIA thread. I won't buy American strat because i can't afford it. MIM strat will be fine. I'm just lookin for some info on that FSR strat, pickups, how close are split humbuckers to single coil sound, how does it sound with jazz/blues/...
It depends play the MIM forst as some of them are crap and I've played others that are better than my american, the FSR could be better but make sure you play it first, I personally would go with the FSR.
i have never owned a fender but i have played a couple in a shop briefly, and let me say this the mexican ones are a load of garbage in my opinion, i read some where that the standards are made of ply-wood. how can you justify spending the money on a piece of ply-wood.

whatever floats your boat i guess
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by spothead
Thank you for your answers, but let's not turn this into MIM Vs. MIA thread. I won't buy American strat because i can't afford it. MIM strat will be fine. I'm just lookin for some info on that FSR strat, pickups, how close are split humbuckers to single coil sound, how does it sound with jazz/blues/...

Split humbuckers sound kinda sterile and just not like a real single coil, but it's close enough for most people and you also have more versatility than with a normal single coil or humbucker. You can split a humbucker and make it sound like a singlecoil (even though it won't sound that authentic), but you can't make a singlecoil sound like a humbucker that easily.

2 humbuckers with coil taps will give you good tone for about any genre you play.
Quote by jimihendrix6699
i have never owned a fender...

So why even post in this thread? Because you have an opinion on the quality of a guitar has that may or may not have even been set up in a shop? Or because you just love to ride the Bandwagon all the way down the Flame War trail?

Honestly, those six words are the only things TS should take out of any of your replies in this thread.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by jimihendrix6699
i have never owned a fender but i have played a couple in a shop briefly, and let me say this the mexican ones are a load of garbage in my opinion, i read some where that the standards are made of ply-wood. how can you justify spending the money on a piece of ply-wood.

If you're trolling, then good job, you're doing well.

If you're serious, then... well... you need a little bit of a reality check.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by jimihendrix6699

you read somewhere . squier bullets have been made of plywood at times not MIM fenders. playing a couple in a shop briefly is all it takes for you to make a definitive statement about their quality? i'll cut you some slack due to your age but i wouldn't chime in on something you have no real experience with or the time in to even make a valid evalution.

OP the guitar you are looking at appears to be the same as the Blacktop fenders. the humbuckers aren't bad but it really depends on what you want out of them. give us an idea of what you are looking for sound wise to get a better answer.
Quote by monwobobbo
you read somewhere . squier bullets have been made of plywood at times not MIM fenders. playing a couple in a shop briefly is all it takes for you to make a definitive statement about their quality? i'll cut you some slack due to your age but i wouldn't chime in on something you have no real experience with or the time in to even make a valid evalution.

OP the guitar you are looking at appears to be the same as the Blacktop fenders. the humbuckers aren't bad but it really depends on what you want out of them. give us an idea of what you are looking for sound wise to get a better answer.

what am i 12? im 17, that's considered older on this forum
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by jimihendrix6699
what am i 12? im 17, that's considered older on this forum

i'm 50 and your still a kid in my book. 12 or 17 either way saying stupid shit is still umm..... stupid. if you want to claim that you are "older " than act like it.
Quote by monwobobbo
i'm 50 and your still a kid in my book. 12 or 17 either way saying stupid shit is still umm..... stupid. if you want to claim that you are "older " than act like it.

im sorry, oh wise one
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by monwobobbo

I need more versatile guitar, I need it for jazz/blues/prog rock... I don't play metal but it looks like it would be good for heavier stuff too.
you could look at the fender FMT telecasters. all mahogany and its got two humbuckers. should be good for whatever you want. les pauls are made of mahogany and they are widely used in jazz and blues, prog rock too.
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by spothead
I need more versatile guitar, I need it for jazz/blues/prog rock... I don't play metal but it looks like it would be good for heavier stuff too.

the blacktop series are very versitle and have coil splitters for both humbuckers. not a true single coil sound but useable. keep in mind that no guitar is a truly great for all those genres so try to deide which are the most important to you when looking at guitars. my strat does a decent job for me (see songs in profile) but of course to each his own. try a few different guitars before making up your mind as you just never know what will be the one.
I tried both guitars, and that FSR strat seems like a very nice guitar, I like it more than standard. I read that blacktop has Hot Vintage Alnico Humbuckers, this strat has Standard Humbucking Bridge/Neck Pickups. Are those the same as in standard fat HSS strat? And also, would you recommend that fsr strat over Ibanez sa260fm?
Quote by spothead
One more question. What do you think about this guitar - Classic Series 60's Stratocaster?

I would also like to hear your opinions on this guitar.