I have a gig tonight and the other guitar just called to say he turned on my Peavey VTM-60 and noticed one of the tubes weren't lighting up. We both have little knowledge of tube amps so please bare with me. He says that one of the tubes is bent. I think it's a power tube, its one of the two bigger ones.
I'm pretty sure it's a 6L6. He says its bent and not lighting up while the rest of the tubes are. Can I fix this in time for the gig in 5 hours? Or should I be searching for a new amp right now?

Any help that will help me in the long run is greatly appreciated but please tell me at the top whether it's a quick fix or not because I am in a hurry.
Try replacing the 6l6 tubes first. If that doesn't work then you'll have to take it to someone who knows a lot more about tube amps than me. good luck!
well, could be different things. I would first try to take out the tube and reinstall.

BE SURE to watch a you tube vid on it you cant just pull them out and push them in. You have to twist them.

Just take it out to check tube. Make sure the legs arent bent, or broken off and stuck inside the amp...Trouble!!

If the gigs tonight I would start making calls for an amp to borrow.

If tube replacement doesnt work, then do what the others say. Take it to a Pro
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Last edited by maddnotez at May 24, 2011,
Okay, thank you very much. Any suggestions for some good 6l6's?

Edit: Madnotez I will try that. Would it be different for different amps or are they all pretty much the same as long as the tubes are the same? aka. 6L6'S in all amps will come out the same way?
Last edited by 7leafvacation at May 24, 2011,
JJ's probably wont find them over the counter though
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
haha that guy sounds brilliant. Alright thanks a butt load guys. I found an extra amp in case I do need to new tubes which I don't have the money for today. I am going over now to see if I can straighten up the pins and get it working but if not I''m set for tonight. Seriously thank you guys so much and I will let you know how it goes.
Well the gig went fine, the amp was kinda sucky but the Ash Street Saloon in Portland has a pretty good sound tech working there, he was able to keep my sound from getting too shrill with a Fender 212r.

As far as the tube, it got knocked loose from the socket. Not the amp socket but its own socket so there's no longer a vacuum in the tube. I was able to pull it out like you guys said and so I think I'm going to pick up some JJ's tomorrow and replace them myself since the amp is self-biasing.

Thanks for everything guys!
Bent you say? So the valve's not seated in the socket properly? Pull it out and plug it back in again.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You really should have the amp biased when you replace the power tubes. It is not automatic or self-adjusting in that amp.
Bruce Clement
BC Audio Hand Crafted Performance
... You should never twist a tube to try and get it out of a socket...

Just wiggle it around a bit and it'll pop out. Also, tubes are sturdier than you think. They can take a pretty decent beating (well, I mean, not that you'll want to be rough with them, just saying). You'll still want to be gentle with them, but I mean you don't have to like wear giant gloves to touch them.

When you go to pull them out, make sure your hands are clean. Rock them back and forth until they pop out of the socket. Check and see what types are in it. I thought VTMs ran EL34s, not 6L6s. That's something you HAVE to know, obviously; you can't just drop in any type (unless it's an Egnater or another amp designed to take multiple octal tubes).

When you go to put the new ones in, there's a slot on the tube socket and a matching raised rectangle on the plastic base of the new tubes. Line them up, push the tubes in, make sure they're seated properly, and then you're good to go.

That's it really. The only reason I say have clean hands is because there's some controversy on whether or not grease and oils from hands can case blowouts in tubes. I personally don't buy it; I've changed quite a few tubes on stage with no problems. But it never hurts to be careful

EDIT: But yeah. You should have to get it biased. I don't think the VTMs are cathode biased.

but if it's just "bent", then pull it out of the socket and re-seat it. If it still doesn't light up then it's gone.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at May 25, 2011,
Quote by 7leafvacation
I have a gig tonight and the other guitar just called to say he turned on my Peavey VTM-60 and noticed one of the tubes weren't lighting up. We both have little knowledge of tube amps so please bare with me. He says that one of the tubes is bent. I think it's a power tube, its one of the two bigger ones.
I'm pretty sure it's a 6L6. He says its bent and not lighting up while the rest of the tubes are. Can I fix this in time for the gig in 5 hours? Or should I be searching for a new amp right now?

Any help that will help me in the long run is greatly appreciated but please tell me at the top whether it's a quick fix or not because I am in a hurry.

did he try to un-bend it?

Quote by maddnotez
well, could be different things. I would first try to take out the tube and reinstall.

BE SURE to watch a you tube vid on it you cant just pull them out and push them in. You have to twist them.

Just take it out to check tube. Make sure the legs arent bent, or broken off and stuck inside the amp...Trouble!!

If the gigs tonight I would start making calls for an amp to borrow.

If tube replacement doesnt work, then do what the others say. Take it to a Pro

really?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by 7leafvacation
Can I just get tubes of the same power rating and not have to deal with biasing?

You can ask for a matched pair and just pop it in. Ideally you would want to bias it for the best sound, but then you can live without biasing it, and your amp just won't sound ideal.

Its not the best way to do it, but you can just pop in a matched pair of power tubes and go.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Would you buy new tires for your car and not have them balanced?
Bruce Clement
Okay, I've been told both that it has it and it doesn't have it? Is there anybody that has actually owned or owns a VTM-60 or 120 that can tell me? BC if you have experience with it then I'll take your word
I don't have any direct experience with the amp (I think I may have played thru one once), but based on the schematics I found, it is a typical fixed bias output stage configuration, which is not in any way self-adjusting. (Anyway, it would have to be in order to get 60w or 100w out of two or four output tubes, respectively).
Bruce Clement