'lo all

I recently made the move to 7-string with my RG1527. The guitar itself is of spectacular quality- it makes my RG350 feel like a kiddies toy! My ONLY gripe is with the stock pickups as I don't feel either of them are hot enough for my liking the neck pickup sounds a little thin on the higher frets and the bridge is not crunchy enough and has muddy lows. I'd read a lot of reviews and comments that warned of the pickups.. but I feel the guitar itself is a great match for me it has a solid basswood body, rosewood fretboard and a double-locking trem. The pickups are both humbuckers.

I don't have any particular budget but for the sake of the thread I'll say £200 for the 2, most Dimarzio's cost around £70 each. I haven't used active pickups extensively but enough to prefer passives, especially Dimarzio's. I like them raised very high so that they're very close to the strings.

I play a lot of metal (ofc!) such as Trivium and I'm making a start on some Outworld and Nevermore. I'm a huge fan of Paul Gilbert as well as Rusty Cooley, Andy James, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani. Cleans and coil-splitting aren't especially important to me, as I'll simply switch to a different guitar for that.

I'll be using my Peavey Vypyr 75 for the most part- in particular the 6505 model for metal/shred attempts and the Fender Twin /w Tubescreamer for those Blue Powder-esque moments.

tl;dr
RG1527
Neck pickup problem- thin highs
Bridge pickup problem- muddy & low crunch
Basswood body
Double-locking trem
Rosewood fretboard

Want to sound like-
Paul Gilbert
Rusty Cooley
Steve Vai
Andy James

Budget- £200
well, i got a dimarzio evolution 7 in the bridge and an air norton 7 in the neck position (on my 1527).
works great for me.
should also solve your problems
What?
Quote by jesus3000
well, i got a dimarzio evolution 7 in the bridge and an air norton 7 in the neck position (on my 1527)

This. This is the pairing recommended by tons of 7-string Ibanez players out there who don't care for the stocks. Hope to do this to my 7421 one of these days when a little more cash comes my way
Musical things I do
http://www.youtube.com/user/CGuitar2112

GEAR
Ibanez RG 7421
Ibanez S470DXQM - Viking Red
Agile Intrepid Pro Dual 828 RN
Greg Bennet Custom
Peavey Raptor I
Atomic Reactor 112 Amp
Line 6 POD HD w/ MkII Express
Evolution 7 bridge, PAF 7 Neck (vai)
tone Zone 7 bridge, PAF 7 Neck (Gilbert)
Dactivator neck and bridge (trivium)
D sonic 7 bridge Air Norton 7 neck (Petrucci)
Blaze neck and bridge (Vai's Universe sounds)
Blaze 2 bridge, Blaze neck (hotter Blaze sound, like a Steve's Special)
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Yeah, most Ibanez stock pups are really muddy.
I went with an evo 7 in the bridge and it it amazing. Improved clarity and it is bright but still usable for solos.
Although I haven't tried them yet, you might want to look into bareknuckle pickups. I have heard nothing but praise for them but they are pricey at £220 for an uncovered pair. But you still might want to consider them.
Quote by jesus3000
well, i got a dimarzio evolution 7 in the bridge and an air norton 7 in the neck position (on my 1527).
works great for me.
should also solve your problems

I was actually considering those exact two! I have the Air Norton S in my SAS and I love it but was unsure because of the different wood types
Bla~a~a~a~a~a~aze!!!!
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by stonyman65
Evolution 7 bridge, PAF 7 Neck (vai)
tone Zone 7 bridge, PAF 7 Neck (Gilbert)
Dactivator neck and bridge (trivium)
D sonic 7 bridge Air Norton 7 neck (Petrucci)
Blaze neck and bridge (Vai's Universe sounds)
Blaze 2 bridge, Blaze neck (hotter Blaze sound, like a Steve's Special)

This is a pretty neat list, thanks! Given me a good few to check out there
Agreed with the other suggestions but wanted to add if you stretched your budget out a bit you should check out Bareknuckle pickups as well.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
Agreed with the other suggestions but wanted to add if you stretched your budget out a bit you should check out Bareknuckle pickups as well.

I disagree, I think he should just ignore the other mass market pups and just save a little more for BKP. He only needs to stretch a little more for pups which are of significantly higher quality than DiMarzios.

However, he shoudl really first look at upgrading his amp.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
I disagree, I think he should just ignore the other mass market pups and just save a little more for BKP. He only needs to stretch a little more for pups which are of significantly higher quality than DiMarzios.

However, he shoudl really first look at upgrading his amp.

no. also BKP are around twice the price of dimarzio if you're in the US, so dimarzios should do the trick tbh. i'm a fan of the d sonic 7 in the bridge since it gets really good definition/tight bottom end. i think you would like it for your style
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
no. also BKP are around twice the price of dimarzio if you're in the US, so dimarzios should do the trick tbh. i'm a fan of the d sonic 7 in the bridge since it gets really good definition/tight bottom end. i think you would like it for your style

I think you should look at the currency he stated in his op thread first.

£

Kinda throws your "if you're in the US" argument out the window doesn't it?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
I think you should look at the currency he stated in his op thread first.

£

Kinda throws your "if you're in the US" argument out the window doesn't it?

not sure how i didn't notice that haha

in that case, i stand corrected, if you're in the UK bareknuckles might be worth it, i'm not very knowledgeable on the different models but hopefully someone else will suggest some, or ts could even email tim from bkp apparently he gives good suggestions
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Crunchlab/liquifire set is worth a look for dimarzios

BKP is only slightly dearer in the uk due to the massive inflation of american mass produced pickups so definitely worth looking at them
Is it the INF1 your replacing?
I swapped mine out for BKP. sounds demonic now
Sorry i'm late, but my walk has got terribly silly today
Quote by stig354
Is it the INF1 your replacing?
I swapped mine out for BKP. sounds demonic now

These are the V87/V77 pickups. I think the INF pickups are only used on the lower/mid range RG's, like my RG350
Mine was s470 so mid range. Wait! The low end ones come with pickups? I though the lowest guitars were just a string taped to either side of a meter ruler. Meh, either way id recommend BKP dude
Sorry i'm late, but my walk has got terribly silly today
I can tell you DO NOT get a Duncan Distortion... I have the same guitar and play through a real 5150 (6505) and it is just as weak as the stock pickup, though it sounds more balanced and less muddy. I have to use a boost to get any kind of decent tone and crunch from it.
Quote by SilverSpurs616
I can't see myself going for those BKP's.. £40 more than the Dimarzio's EACH?

There is a significant difference in tone and playing dynamics between BKPs and DiMarzios. Well worth the additional 40 quid.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I know this thread is a fortnight old, but just a few more questions-

I don't understand the "output" all that well, and there's a big difference between the Air Norton 7 and the Evolution 7. Will this be a problem?

Air Norton 7 - 260
Evolution 7 - 420

I'm decided on the Evolution for the bridge, my neck choice is between the Air Norton and Tone Zone
If you were to have identical pickups at the neck and bridge you would find the neck to be far louder than the bridge. This is because the signal generated by a pickup is produced by the stings vibrations interacting with the magnetic field generated by the pickup. the more vibration the more signal.

Since the sting can have wider vibrations at the neck position its only natural that a pickup here would produce a hotter signal than the bridge position.

This is why bridge pickups have to have higher output than the neck otherwise you will have major volume issues between positions.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by halikus
If you were to have identical pickups at the neck and bridge you would find the neck to be far louder than the bridge. This is because the signal generated by a pickup is produced by the stings vibrations interacting with the magnetic field generated by the pickup. the more vibration the more signal.

Since the sting can have wider vibrations at the neck position its only natural that a pickup here would produce a hotter signal than the bridge position.

This is why bridge pickups have to have higher output than the neck otherwise you will have major volume issues between positions.

Ahh.. that's a great explanation, thank you!
i'm not familiar with 7 strings, but certainly if you were looking at 6-strings, i'd be a bit concerned that the evo might be using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut... the evo is very, very bright, and ibanez stock pickups are pretty mediocre. most name-brand pickups are going to be a pretty big step up, and may solve your problem without having to go out of your way to get a very bright, super-tight pickup. I'm not saying you shouldn't do that... I'm just saying you may not have to. Of course, you may, or you may want things to be as surgically tight as possible, which is fair enough.

also bareknuckle aren't the only handwinders around- you could consider bulldog (dude used to work for bareknuckle), catswhisker, rockmonkey, wizard... certainly the first two are a fair bit cheaper than BKPs (I haven't checked rockmonkey's or wizard's prices for a while, they may be too), and might be worth considering if you want handwound but not BKP prices... I haven't tried them, though, but I hear generally good things about them.

just to point out regarding the coil-splitting... just get them with 4-conductor leads and you'll be able to split them. Unless you meant that you didn't care about the tone of the coil-split tones, in which case no problem Just pointing out that you can have coil splits if you want without affecting the other non-split tones of the pickups.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 6, 2011,
i have bare knuckle painkillers in my 7.

it's worth it. what else are you gonna do with 40 quid.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
i have a pair of Bareknuckle Cold Sweats in my RG1527

they are VERY VERY clear, not as high output as most other Bareknuckles and with a boosted high end. i havent tried the Painkillers but honestly im in love with the Cold Sweats that i dont think i would be happy with anything else
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.