Whats the first thing I should teach a friend who wants to learn to play guitar? I want to make the teaching session professional and 'proper' so that it may spark something in them to want to self teach like I did and maybe pick up guitar properly. As I self taught I can not remember where I started. What should I do for like the first day?
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

'The dusty end, is not my friend.'
Quote by Rich EpiWildkat
Whats the first thing I should teach a friend who wants to learn to play guitar? I want to make the teaching session professional and 'proper' so that it may spark something in them to want to self teach like I did and maybe pick up guitar properly. As I self taught I can not remember where I started. What should I do for like the first day?

first day.

I'd say focus on the proper way to hold the guitar. What everything is called (bridge, tuners, headstock, neck, etc..). Tell them what the strings are called, low E, a, d g, b, high e. How to use an electric tuner.

I'd say start at the high e string and have them play the open e, the f, and the g. Have them tap their foot and play quarter notes. Real simple stuff but a good place to start I think.
Quote by mh1986
first day.

I'd say focus on the proper way to hold the guitar. What everything is called (bridge, tuners, headstock, neck, etc..). Tell them what the strings are called, low E, a, d g, b, high e. How to use an electric tuner.

I'd say start at the high e string and have them play the open e, the f, and the g. Have them tap their foot and play quarter notes. Real simple stuff but a good place to start I think.

Like that advice - might be worth E G and A? Just cos then that lead to the classic blues sort of thing - it shows some early advancement and can maybe show off how quickly progression can be made if you stick with it. A lot of times something that causes new players to put down the guitar is a feeling of frustration if they're not making progress.

Something to maybe point towards working on once mh's first point is taken care of is looking at playing open E F F# G G# A on the bottom string and then Bb B C C# D on the A string etc. etc. with individual fingers, slowly to start with, and to work on moving up the fret board using one finger per fret (i.e. going first middle ring pinky, first middle ring pinky, up to the 12th fret). One of the first things I used to teach once my students got this sort of thing down was the riff to sunshine of your love. Classic riff, dead easy, sounds impressive when it's nailed early on in learning.

If they stay with it up to here, next port of call I used was teaching A C G (finish off sunshine) D and E, so then there would be a host of other songs that the student could learn and feel like they were getting better with each new thing they learnt. Of course first thing I EVER learnt to play on guitar was Wonderwall. Might also be a first port of call if chords ever come up.

I appreciate I've maybe gone slightly further than you asked, but really mh's advice is solid - show how to play comfortably and just generally introduce the instrument to them!
My first lesson was an E chord and an A chord. My teacher also showed me the bass notes for each chord on the 5th and 6th string.

He got us (it was a group lesson) to alternate bass notes with 1 down strum, so we did-

----------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------
------1----------1-----------1----------------
------2----------2-----------2---------------
------2----2----2-----------2------2----------
-0--------------------0------------------------ repeat for a few bars

then

------------------------------
-------2--------2---------------
-------2--------2--------------
-------2--------2-----------------
-0------------------------------
-----------0------------------

then toward the end of the lesson we joined the two together

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------2--------2-----------
------1----------1-----------1-------------------2--------2-----------
------2----------2-----------2-------------------2--------2-----------
------2----2----2-----------2------2-----0---------------------------
-0--------------------0--------------------------------0------------ etc etc

He finished by telling us that in our first lesson we had learned notes AND chords...which as a beginner I thought was way cool

Over subsequent lessons we did D, C, G...etc...all the open chords... added alternate strumming (bass and two and bass and three and).... strum muting etc... eventually ending up on barre chords. The chord progressions got more complex each lesson.

It was a good intorduction to playing. He is a great teacher and a great guy. That group stayed together for about 2 or 3 years under him. We all loved it.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Teach em some Paul Gilbert.

Nah start with a couple notes on low e, get him/her playing in time with a metronome.
Teach all the basic guitar info...tuning, name of parts...
Then teach him/her a simple song. A full song like maybe smells like teen spirit or pride of san jacinto (reverend horton heat) (very easy, my first full song)
Not because learning this will accelerate learning, but it will get a few techniques flowing and it will keep them interested.
Quote by mh1986
first day.

This^

first lesson should be

proper way to hole the guitar

parts of the guitar

names of the strings (1-6)

tuning (EADGBE)

tuning with a tuner, and by ear

the only thing I would change is some simple riffs that the student would like. if they are into metalica teach them the intro to enter sandman, if they are a sublime fan theach em santaria. you know there are hundreds of others.

I would start on the notes and stuff the very next lesson.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.