Page 1 of 2
I will be packing my shit up with my bandmates this winter and driving to Los angeles to start a new life. Not exactly sure if we are gonna be in the heart of LA or an outskirt. time to pursue music like ive always wanted too....

thoughts?
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
Last edited by buzzcut at May 24, 2011,
You won't get far calling it Los Angelos.
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
Quote by laid-to-waste
john mayer

You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: The Police

Please excuse my proper spelling and grammar, English is one of my first languages.
where exactly are you coming from?
Other than that be prepared for:

1. Insane rent
2. Very bad neighborhoods(as you'll most likely live there in pursuit of cheaper housing)
3. No one giving an ant's turd about you
4. Rough People
5. Another 5 thousand bands doing what you're trying to do

Otherwise...

Welcome to the jungle
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by stratdud39
Why is John Mayer in all of your posts?

having a mayer night. is there a reason why he shouldn't be?
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by laid-to-waste
having a mayer night. is there a reason why he shouldn't be?

In other words, starting a meme.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: The Police

Please excuse my proper spelling and grammar, English is one of my first languages.
Are you Megadeth? No? Then why are you going to Los Angeles?
In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

╔═══╗
║  ██ ║
╠═══╣
║╬  •• ║
╚═══╝

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

According to the USC Stevens Institute for Innovation, "there are more artists, writers, filmmakers, actors, dancers and musicians living and working in Los Angeles than any other city at any time in the history of civilization."

Now don't take this as me trying to dissuade you, I am a firm believer in pursuing your dreams, but know that to make a name for yourself you must stand out above the rest, and never lose sight of what you're trying to do. Good luck, I hope you deserve it.
Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Yeah, I use a Squier Strat.
Last edited by DecaPodge at May 24, 2011,
Quote by Metallicaxp
Are you Megadeth? No? Then why are you going to Los Angeles?

the music scene is pretty big in LA, I could go to a show like every other day here, I see why he's doing it, but that doesn't mean it was thought out
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Quote by megano28
the music scene is pretty big in LA, I could go to a show like every other day here, I see why he's doing it, but that doesn't mean it was thought out

I can go to a show every other night where I am (Ottawa Ontario Canada), doesn't mean I want to set up my band here. Although I could, but metal isn't the biggest here.

I guess it depends what kind of music he plays. I wouldn't go there without a plan or even a contact to a venue at least. Shit can be hard if you are new to a city and have no clue where to go from there.

╔═══╗
║  ██ ║
╠═══╣
║╬  •• ║
╚═══╝
Quote by Metallicaxp
I can go to a show every other night where I am (Ottawa Ontario Canada), doesn't mean I want to set up my band here. Although I could, but metal isn't the biggest here.

I guess it depends what kind of music he plays. I wouldn't go there without a plan or even a contact to a venue at least. Shit can be hard if you are new to a city and have no clue where to go from there.

hmm...for some reason I don't quite believe that

but either way he's probably has the illusion that shit is like in the movies here and he's gonna be on the fast lane to success, but once that 1100+ rent is due(for a small two bedroom as well) he might start thinking a little different
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Native Californian here.

LA is a shithole.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Native New Yorker here.

La sucks.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by megano28
hmm...for some reason I don't quite believe that

but either way he's probably has the illusion that shit is like in the movies here and he's gonna be on the fast lane to success, but once that 1100+ rent is due(for a small two bedroom as well) he might start thinking a little different

Believe what? I can go to a show just about any night? Didn't say it all had to be in one genre

That and i don't go to many local shows haha

╔═══╗
║  ██ ║
╠═══╣
║╬  •• ║
╚═══╝
Quote by Nelsean
Native New Yorker here.

La sucks.

But we don't have those weird NY accents do we? Just admit it people we are the pinnacle of what a USA citizen should be

Quote by Metallicaxp
Believe what? I can go to a show just about any night? Didn't say it all had to be in one genre

That and i don't go to many local shows haha

The funny thing is that I knew that was going to be your justification
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Last edited by megano28 at May 24, 2011,
I was going to do the same thing ; for music as well. You're gonna wanna live outside of LA/Hollywood dude it's crazy expensive for nothing. I'm steal acquiring all the major pieces of gear I want before I head to LA! Have thick skin. Dream Big.
LA sucks in the general suburbs part of town. Downtown is meh, might find some interesting stuff there at times though. Go hang around sunset, its not as good as it used to be but its still ok. Hollywood is a must, heck even Beverly hills if you got the money. In general, the Burbank area is pretty nice, check it out. The outskirts arent too bad either, if you like the loneliness type of feeling.

Trust me, i live here
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
ltw, if you ran for mayer i'd vote for you

Stop it with the mayer jokes, he suuuuuucks
Dead bull with the life from the low
I'll be massive conquistador
Give me soul and show me the door
Metal heavy, soft at the core
Gimme toro, gimme some more

Steam: Mengsk
MAL
Travelin' Los Ang'les way?

Say hi to The Dude for me.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
LA's music industry is filled with only the best of the best. If you screw up once, no one will ever do business with you again. Whether it's production, business, or performance, I don't see how you'll stand a chance at all unless you are already very skilled and knows how to network.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
I'm steal acquiring all the major pieces of gear I want before I head to LA! Have thick skin. Dream Big.

Purchasing them works just as well.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Seref
My genitals dangle limply in disgust and annoyance.
Here's a tip:

Los Angeles is German for "Whale's vagina."
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Buzz, how well have you planned this out? I really don't want to rag on you if you've got your shit together.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

California is a drowning pool.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by megano28
where exactly are you coming from?
Other than that be prepared for:

1. Insane rent
2. Very bad neighborhoods(as you'll most likely live there in pursuit of cheaper housing)
3. No one giving an ant's turd about you
4. Rough People
5. Another 5 thousand bands doing what you're trying to do

This, this and again, this.

Big cities are tough, especially as musicians. Why are you moving to L.A.? These days with the internet, if you're good, you can create a following without having to move to a crazy place like L.A.
And if you can't even create a decent following on the internet, what makes you think that moving to L.A. will improve your chances?
I have family out there. It's really beautiful, and I MUCH prefer it over NYC, but making a living will be hard. I guarantee it. It's kind of sad, but you won't improve your chances of success much by living there as others have already mentioned the steep competition.

Plus the job market is terrible in the area. Because of that, finding a job should be priority number one.

I will say that there's nowhere quite like it though; it's worth going just to live there and be a part of the culture for a while (or while you can).

^Coreysmonster is right. You might actually be better off living somewhere cheap for a while (though not too far off from a city) and building a following through the internet. It's honestly the easiest and best way to become known.
Last edited by musiclover2399 at May 25, 2011,
Good luck to you. Don't let anyone tell you that the chances of succeeding are slim.

They are, but thinking about it will just make you sad!
Page 1 of 2