...And by difficult I mean difficult relative to your abilities. Something (song/solo/etc) that you have to play at 1/4 speed to to play accurately.

I'm currently learning Nightmare by Avenged Sevenfold, and I have been for quite some time. I don't play full-time per-se, because I get loaded with school work a lot, but now that summer is coming up, I want to learn a bunch of songs while I have time. I've been trying to create a healthy guitar workout to follow daily to create the habit I had 3 years ago.

The solo on this song with the 32nd notes kills me to play any faster than 1/4 speed.
I'm reading from a book and using Guitar Pro 6.

Any tips or experiences you can share to help me?

I'm considering recording my practice for critique as I seem to slowly grow closer to quitting my instrument. It's really hard to give up because I love music, but I get pessimistic when fellow guitarists seem to accelerate past me.
Musicians I Want To See Live

Metallica
Avenged Sevenfold
RHCP
Machine Head
Five Finger Death Punch
Joe Satriani/Chickenfoot
Slipknot

To Be Continued . . .
The question in the title is a tad redundant because it obviously depends on what song you're trying to learn. Something by Spawn of Possesion is going to take me significantly longer than say a Loomis solo.
With the exception of some REALLY talented guitarists, I can learn a rock song and play it well in about 2 or 3 hours. Maybe the solo won't be note for note but I can sure fake it.

I'm big into fingerstyle acoustic stuff now (McKee, Dufour, etc) and those will take me around a month of true practicing before I can play them and it really is depressing. My only tip is to keep at it. Every time you nail one it makes the next one that much more approachable. Some learn faster than others, that's just the way it is but dedication will serve you well in the long run.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Mehtabb
The question in the title is a tad redundant because it obviously depends on what song you're trying to learn. Something by Spawn of Possesion is going to take me significantly longer than say a Loomis solo.

It's not redundant. The word you're thinking of is subjective.

Quote by Artemis Entreri
With the exception of some REALLY talented guitarists, I can learn a rock song and play it well in about 2 or 3 hours. Maybe the solo won't be note for note but I can sure fake it.

I'm big into fingerstyle acoustic stuff now (McKee, Dufour, etc) and those will take me around a month of true practicing before I can play them and it really is depressing. My only tip is to keep at it. Every time you nail one it makes the next one that much more approachable. Some learn faster than others, that's just the way it is but dedication will serve you well in the long run.

Thank you for your comments. The question for me I guess is how long I can keep at it before I give up.

Metallica
Avenged Sevenfold
RHCP
Machine Head
Five Finger Death Punch
Joe Satriani/Chickenfoot
Slipknot

To Be Continued . . .
Quote by AfroGuitarNoob

Thank you for your comments. The question for me I guess is how long I can keep at it before I give up.

I give up frequently, to be honest. But only for a day or two. Maybe a week at most. Sometimes drilling something too hard simply kills it. If you step back from it and work on another project when you return it'll be a little easier, a little cleaner and a little more reasonable of a task. If you find yourself getting REALLY frustrated, go learn a country song.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
if you're good at economy picking that part you're talking about should be exceptionaly easy considering its 3 notes per string. trick is to get it engraved in ur head first so you can play it with no tabs, after this just keep practicing it at the speed your in, i was practicing it gradually bringing up speed then one day i was able to play it full speed no problem, those come to you alot once you start practicing with perfect technique so yeah just keep it at it
Gear
- Synyster Schecter Standard
- Peavey Vyper 15

I'm currently using Cubase 5 for any recording purposes.
I would say if you're having to literally learn a song at 1/4 speed, it means you're learning the wrong song. There's much more benefit to be had from learning and performing songs you can play instead of trying to learn songs you really can't play.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
^ +1 to EBD, much better to learn stuff that you can get up to speed in a week or two and can enjoy jamming through the majority of.

The last thing I had to take down to that kind of slow and bring up... well, it was some Shawn Lane lick and it took me about 18 months to bring it up to the speed I can currently play things. I imagine if I tried to play it up to "full speed" then it would be a couple more decades of woodshedding... and I'd rather do something other than grind a simple lick to mind boggling speed.

It's not subjective. An amount of time is a thing that can be defined quite clearly, it doesn't change based on your opinions or feelings on the subject (no general relativity or quantum physics, please). The word he's looking for is "stupid".

He said it, not me.
I'm trying to learn songs that I can play only at quarter speed too, and I think what I may do instead, is take the part of the song that is too fast and incorporate it into my speed-practice-regimen only, and just learn songs that fall within my own speed limit.
Well to memorize a song it depends.

I have learned songs that are longer than 13 minutes, and its taken about a month to get get all the changes, and solos memorized and on beat.
But, learning a song by, lets say AC/DC...i remember knocking those out in a day or two

Gettin up to full speed...well thats a different story may take a year for faster songs
cause im just not as fast as the players i listen too

just keep practicing, take breaks from playing it. that helps alot

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Depends, I think. For instance I got the solo of Stairway up to full speed within a few days, but it took me much longer to work the solo to Needle and the Spoon by Lynyrd Skynyrd to full speed, despite both being roughly the same level of difficulty. The solo to Ride the Lightning took me about a month, but it's almost 1/3 faster and much longer and more complicated than both the other solos and many parts came to me much easier.
Honestly, I've never tried to 'nail' a song. I rarely practice anymore, I just play songs and sight-read the solos and hope I wing it, then go back and play around until it sounds right.

So if you count that... for a difficult song, it takes takes me about as long as it does to memorise it, so maybe an hour? Probably less if I'm extremely familiar with a song, but it really varies with how long and complex the music is. By the time that hour's up, I'm usually warmed up enough so my hands are in sync and no longer tense that I can play almost anything, so it's just up to how long it takes to memorise.

Besides some sweeps. That's one area I have to devote actual practice to, and if I had to include that to truly 'nail' a song, then I would have to answer 'undefined' hours, because those people have put in far more many years than I have to get that good to truly nail it...
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
For me a couple week's if not more lol. Like I have been working on this one part of a song for a week and a half trying to get it up to speed, it's a slow process but worth it to me.
Quote by Freepower

It's not subjective. An amount of time is a thing that can be defined quite clearly, it doesn't change based on your opinions or feelings on the subject (no general relativity or quantum physics, please). The word he's looking for is "stupid".

He said it, not me.

I liked the first part of your post but...
It IS subjective. That's what he was looking for, it changes from person to person, but thanks for looking the word up in the dictionary anyway. Asshole.

To everyone else: I really appreciate the comments.

Metallica
Avenged Sevenfold
RHCP
Machine Head
Five Finger Death Punch
Joe Satriani/Chickenfoot
Slipknot

To Be Continued . . .
Takes me about 2 hours I think to learn a incredibly difficult song. But I am more of a rhythm guitarist so I don't normally learn the solo's. I just improvise. :P
Quote by AfroGuitarNoob
It IS subjective. That's what he was looking for, it changes from person to person, but thanks for looking the word up in the dictionary anyway. Asshole.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

It's not subjective, it isn't a matter of opinion or interpretation - a length of time is what it is.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by AfroGuitarNoob

I fail to see how a measurement of time is subjective

The question is pretty redundant if you're looking to get a useful answer instead of just some statistics. What someone considers difficult will totally differ to what you consider difficult <<THAT'S subjective but any useful information you'll get from the thread's question is redundant.

Changes from person to person =/= subjective.

And excuse me for knowing what subjective means, perhaps you should try and look it up in a dictionary before flinging the word around. ^_^
I think what the op means is that learning speeds are subjective (there is no set standard for people to learn at. Some are just faster than others.)
However, you guys are right about it in this context. I think the whole debate is a misunderstanding and everything will be OK internet
Ive been playing cliffs of dover for 4 years. It was one Of my first songs to learn and I've given up many times and skipped months learning new bits. So in 3.5 years I learnt the intro up to the rythym bit. Now after a few months of practice and learning new bits every week i've got half the damn song at speed. I think i'll have it down by the end of the year at speed.
Of course ive spent more time getting bits perfect then learning new parts... Still pretty slow.
But im happy and can play half of one of my favorite songs! Four years ago i was playing it on bloody guitar hero! Kick ass.
Takes me like 2 days to learn a tech metal song and completely nail it. But an easier song from a band like tool, system of a down, slipknot etc. only takes me like a half hour to an hour at most.
Takes me about an hour or so to learn a Children of Bodom song up to speed minus the solos. It mostly depends on your skill level and what you're trying to learn. When I was starting out the first song I tried to learn was Master of Puppets, which took me a couple months to learn at half speed. Now I can breeze through just about every Metallica song out there if I care to learn any more.

There's nothing subjective about how long it takes to learn a song, subjective means based on opinion and not on empirical stats. Time is empirical and therefore we can definatively say how long it should take the average player at a certain skill level to learn a song.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Well, I've been playing for about 3 and a half years. I've been trying to get the Sweet Child 'O Mine solo down since January. It's such a bitch. I slowed it down to half time and can play it now at about 80 bpm without much difficulty. I know it off by heart but just can't play it full speed yet. I'm gunna keep at it though. I know I'll get it eventually. What a day that will be