I have been a "guitar player" for about 3 years, but I am honestly pretty terrible. I can play power chords and basic open chords but I really don't know much of anything else. I want to really start building my guitar playing from the ground up and gain knowledge about the instrument. I am starting to learn Barre Chords because I think that might be a good place to start picking up again. Let me know what you think.
Play songs you like. Challenge yourself. If you stumble on a part you can't play, use that as an opportunity to develop your technique. Practice that part in isolation with a metronome and make every note count.
You can study chords until you're blue in the face, but playing an instrument is all about making music.

I dunno, that's what I would suggest.
I am not very good at figuring out how to play songs by ear and it's hard to find good tabs for a lot of the music I like.
learn a Frank Zappa song if you wanna challenge urself. there are some nice beginner songs you can learn out there. practice every day, even if its only for 5 minutes. learning scales also helps a ton and it relatively easy.
you should learn songs you like, then figure out what key and scale your in, start to play/improvise to the music, work on your technique, basically don't just 'do' anything, learn why and what you are doing, it helps 10x as much
Quote by dviv17
"It's just about what i think." - Woody B

THE GREAT WOODY B LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!
yeah I think hes pretty much on with his assessment but definitely get into a little theory also. The "eddie van halen doesnt know anything!!!" line is a little bull. Any knowledge you can acquire for yourself is only going to give you tools to use to express yourself. Once those tools are no longer "tools" but instinctual reflexes then your creativity can be explored on a greater level. But I'm an electrician by day so what the hell do I know!!!!
Quote by durtnasty
also how do i figure out what Key a song is in and what chords are in a key

How about getting a teacher? It's by far the best option.

Personally I have the same problem but i can't afford a teacher right now.

I try finding lessons on the internet. Try finding music you like. Preferrably well known stuff. Top 100 of all times kinda music is ideal. It's usually good music and there's a lot of it around. Youtube is a good source.

Figure out how to read tabs. There's thousands on this website alone. It's not ideal but at least you will be practising and playing music you like. If you do this your technique will improve regardless of your knowledge of theory.

Imho learning theory from reading on the internet is pretty damn hard. Especially if your not a native english speaker like myself. You can always find theory lessons in your own language but then it still isn't easy if you don't have someone to explain.
In my country you can learn music theory in a public school. It's cheap but boring.

Improvising is the most fun I think. But you need some knwoledge of theory for it.
that's my problem right now as well : I wanna improvise but I don't know which notes to play. With (power)chords it's not such a problem but with single notes it is.

Anyway, don't give up and keep practising!
I learned the major scale, and its mechanics, first, and that gave me a huge confidence throught the frets; and gave me ammo to jam solo a bit! And soloing/leading is my ideal for playing...

but the rabbit hole sure is deep. music theory is one hell of a ride for a new musician. both challenging and intriguing!
I'm a begginer like you, but i've been playing for around a month! ^^ So i guess i suck as a beginner. Is there any 'easy' metal songs that you think i could learn?
Blinded by fear by at the gates is pretty easy(first song i learned). Also black sabbath songs are easy. Also a lot of death songs (minus solos of course) aren't too hard if you learn to pick fast. Bloodbath has some easy songs too.
Quote by DanialA
I'm a begginer like you, but i've been playing for around a month! ^^ So i guess i suck as a beginner. Is there any 'easy' metal songs that you think i could learn?

Metallica- For Whom The Bell Tolls
Megadeth- She Wolf ( This might be a lilttle hard for beginners but it's a good challenge)
Black Sabbath- Iron Man

Metallica- Master Of Puppets ( Not really a beginner song but have a shot at this, If you can nail this then you will be able to play most of the other Metallica songs) :P

Good Luck
Quote by MaddMann274
Metallica- For Whom The Bell Tolls
Megadeth- She Wolf ( This might be a lilttle hard for beginners but it's a good challenge)
Black Sabbath- Iron Man

Metallica- Master Of Puppets ( Not really a beginner song but have a shot at this, If you can nail this then you will be able to play most of the other Metallica songs) :P

Good Luck

Cheers mate, i love Metallica and Black Sabbath, i've rarely heard of Megadeth, but i'll look 'em up and give them a go!