Does anyone know any good pedals for shredding? I would like anything that sounds like Avenged Sevenfold, Children of Bodom, or Michael Angelo. Pretty much anything that sounds good when alternate and sweep picking without a weak sound.

Thanks
I hate to use such a cliche answer, but I'd say that's more to do with your technique than your effects.

A lot of shredders use distortion and a touch of delay for a bit of ambience, but neither of those things are going to make your picking technique any better.
Maybe a Wah Wah Pedal or a delay/echo effect could make you sound better than you are. Kirk Hammett is a good example.
Try the magical Shread Ped of BR00tlZZZZZZZ!!!! It will increase your shredding power by 400 Beat per minutes!!!!! Holy SHITZ!!!! That's more brootlz than Metallica!! Pantera!!!! Trivum!!!! And those other lamer metal bands that are not mainstream!!!

So buy it now!!!!

What the hell are you specifically asking about dude??
Quote by coolstoryangus
What you really need is a new amp.

Probably
It won't make you play like paul gilbert though.

This is just plain stupid the TS didn't state what kind of amp they have.

The TS might have first rate gear. If you have horrible technique from being sloppy and lazy your tone is going to be rubbish.

EDIT
$5000 worth of gear will sound like crap if you can't play.

Meanwhile hand a good player with a squire strat and Line 6 Spider 15. Is going to sound pretty good even with crap gear...
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at May 24, 2011,
Tubescreamer sounds like a good place to start, but if your technique is weak then your br00tz will be. I'd start with more practice if I were you dude.
I know Alexi Laiho uses very few effects, if any. He does have a preamp booster installed on his guitar though, which is meant to boost the signal coming from the guitar to drive his amp more. You could always get an overdrive pedal to do something similar (although you'll get different sounds).
Quote by Willowthewitch
This is just plain stupid the TS didn't state what kind of amp they have.

The TS might have first rate gear. If you have horrible technique from being sloppy and lazy your tone is going to be rubbish.

EDIT
$5000 worth of gear will sound like crap if you can't play.

Meanwhile hand a good player with a squire strat and Line 6 Spider 15. Is going to sound pretty good even with crap gear...

Someone that wants
"an effects pedal for shredding"
will have a crap amp
its almost guaranteed.
And its a GG&A joke as said
so basically
suck it up
A wah is common. I don't personally like/use them, but a lot of people do. I think a compressor really helps.

Other than that, it's really going to come down to your skill level first and foremost, and then your gear (guitar/pickups & amp).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Wah is used a lot like people have said. I personally like delay. Idk you just gotta have good technique or all the effects in the world wont help.

I like the new amp suggestion.

get a 6505 112 combo.

/thread
Quote by markphillips91
Does anyone know what synyster gates uses??

i dont think he uses a pedal

and +1 to everyone saying its all about TECHNIQUE
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Synyster Gates uses the Boss MT-2 with a Digitech Grunge. Put them together and you'll be shredding like him in no time.

I also suggest getting a Line6 Spider stack (150w) and putting Dimebuckers in your guitar.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
if your technique is down, then all you really need is a reverb and delay
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by coolstoryangus
All that needs is a penis size control knob and it'd be perfect..

That's done via an internal trim pot.
Quote by shadow__666
Synyster Gates uses the Boss MT-2 with a Digitech Grunge. Put them together and you'll be shredding like him in no time.

I also suggest getting a Line6 Spider stack (150w) and putting Dimebuckers in your guitar.

Please be joking.

TS, tell us what gear you have. Different pedals work differently with different amps etc.

On topic, I use a combination of wah and delay for shredding, depending on the solo. Also (depending on your guitar) varying the pickup selection can give very different sounds.
You highlight the Spider stack and not the Metalzone run into a grunge?
I just use distortion and reverb.
if it sounds muddy and like crap, turn down your gain.
If it still does, then practice because it'd YOU.
Shred is easy to make sound like shit if you don't have the technique down. When playin 5 NPS, you don't necessarily have to get every note 100% perfect. When playing 10 NPS, you need to be dead on and perfect with every note.
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Jun 18, 2011,
A rather random necro on a pointless thread, but hey... another thead to spam out.

Quote by CodeMonk
That's done via an internal trim pot.

You're talking about V1 Monk, V2 has the wang width, length and flaccidity as adjustable parameters on the pedal. Only an additional $150 on the RRP to ensure the user can love long time.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by coolstoryangus
All that needs is a penis size control knob and it'd be perfect..

Yeah, one that goes to 11.