hey thanks for the help in advance. I'm checkin out a bassman head and some cab tommorow from some guy on craigslist.. not sure the specific year or anything. But I' getting a really good deal. He happens to collect coins, and I'm moving and getting rid of some coins. I'm getting the better end of the deal.

However, there is one thing wrong with the amp. The standby switch broke, and is stuck in on so its usable. I'm just wondering how hard of a fix is that? And is it still worth it. How much would that cost? I'm moderately adaquete in electronics and should be able to do it, I just am wondering if its worth it.

Thanks guys.
If you don't know the specific year or anything then how do you know you're getting a really good deal? How could we help without any details whatsoever?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
easy fix all you need is a on-off switch of the same value/type and soldier it on.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by tubetime86
If you don't know the specific year or anything then how do you know you're getting a really good deal? How could we help without any details whatsoever?

What? I am trading coins i don't need for an amp I want. To me its a good deal. But thats irrelevant to the question.
Quote by Robbgnarly
easy fix all you need is a on-off switch of the same value/type and soldier it on.

Alright thanks a lot dude. I figured as much but thanks a lot man !
If it's not tweed, I'd pass, but I'm an amp distortion fan.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
If it's not tweed, I'd pass, but I'm an amp distortion fan.

Oh really? I've never actually tried a bassman surprisingly it will be my first. I mean I'm ok with throwing a tube screamer or two in front of it when I can't crank it, but is it as bad as you're making me think lol?
impossible to say.

what coins? what value?

what model bassman? judging from the standby switch i'd bet it hasn't been serviced in forever.

speculative thread is speculative.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
There are many different versions of bassmen. That is why everyone is asking you so many questions. If you can get any info/pictures of the bassman, you'll get WAY more help.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
There are many different versions of bassmen. That is why everyone is asking you so many questions. If you can get any info/pictures of the bassman, you'll get WAY more help.

I'm fairly certain its a silverface. I know they're not as good as the tweeds... But is it still a decent amp I man considering I'm not trading that much?
i see silverfaces usually go for around 500-700 around here. So if you have around that or less in coins, go for it
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Is it possible that he knows something abut your coins that you don't?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I would definitely do it but I'm not a coin collector but as has been said before if your coins are less valuable than its typical sale price I would say go for it. Oh and though someone suggested all you need is a switch soldered in make sure that you have someone experienced with amps do it. You can kill yourself with the voltage your amplifier can retain even when unplugged and turned off.
Quote by InanezGuitars44
i see silverfaces usually go for around 500-700 around here. So if you have around that or less in coins, go for it

Yeah I was thinking that. I mean if I'm not perfectly happy with it the resale is pretty good, I could flip it for more on craigslist. Not to mention hes doin a loaded cab to so.
beat up silverface bassman can go for as low as $250-400 here depending.

i'd say $500-700 is pretty high considering the current condition. a cap job and tubes/bias can run close to $200-300 from a good tech. i'd keep that in mind.

good luck.
I bought a silverface Bassman for $200 2 years ago... As gregs said; if the standby isn't working it likely has more issues with it. At the very least it will need retubed and recapped, which will run you a couple hundred, plus whatever other issues the tech may find.

I don't think you're getting as good a deal as you think you are... Which was my initial point.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Yeah. Well As far as the actual amp and cab goes vs. the coins, I am getting the better end of the deal there. However, I am in this situation in the first place because I don't have any money to spend but could trade the coins for it. Would the fact that it could need re capped make it a bad idea to purchase? I mean the tubes are relatively knew and unused which is good, but I'm not sure about the caps. At the current time I don't have the money for that, but untill I get my paycheck(s) would it be OK to buy and play assuming theres no obvious signs of bad caps..
Why do you not understand that you cannot possibly know that you're gettting the better end of the deal without knowing more about the amp? (Unless the coins are counterfeit, which I'm starting to think is likely.)

Did I mention that the Bassman I bought for $200 blew smoke out the back of it and cost me $420 to fix, literally the first time I played it?

Stop being so vague. If you want help we need more info, otherwise you're on your own.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at May 25, 2011,
Quote by tubetime86
Why do you not understand that you cannot possibly know that you're gettting the better end of the deal without knowing more about the amp? (Unless the coins are counterfeit, which I'm starting to think is likely.)

Did I mention that the Bassman I bought for $200 blew smoke out the back of it and cost me $420 to fix, literally the first time I played it?

Stop being so vague. If you want help we need more info, otherwise you're on your own.

Hahahah yeah I'm totally running a counterfeit coin scam.. But no like realistically I'm just wondering, is it worth it to take a good deal on an amp, knowing that at the current time you can't afford to recap it but there are no obvious signs of bad caps. I know its not cut and dry, just asking opinions.
i didn't know there were "obvious" signs of bad caps but i'm no amp tech. i mean noise probably, but if you haven't heard the amp that's impossible to know.

i'd pass unless i had the funds to have it properly serviced. otherwise you could be opening a huge can of worms. maybe not, who knows.

"bassman" amps are just like "gibson" on the headstock. everyone immediately assumes they have a high value when in fact, only a small small small percentage of them really do.

but i guess if you are moderatly good at electronics and careful, maybe you could fix it yourself.
old caps leak, old tubes sound bad or die, and theirs a lot of voltage in those old probably busted caps. We don't know coins, but you can't even say what they are. and you won't even say if it's a bassman 50 or 100 or anything, what cab, If this is craigslist, this guy must have an email or phone number, and most likely a camera. You seem to want this thing, and want us to say yea it's a treasure you're getting a steal. but in all likely hood you're getting a fixer upper with a fender nameplate. a lot of the newer old bassmans are designed to stay clean at high volumes to cater to well basses, some people use dirt pedals. These amps are old, and old amps use oil caps, which leak and fail, and at 50 - 100 watts theres going to be like 6-10 tubes in there.

Summary, If you want this amp, get it, maybe you won't be getting a steal, but with repair, mods, and servicing, you'll most likely have an amp that will be good in any size gig and in the long run might be worth some serious coin :p