Page 1 of 2
syntheticocean
2,295 IQ
A few weeks ago I posted pics of my new body I picked up. Just got the dye today and its about time to start the build thread.

Warmoth Z body - Mahogany with a Quilted Maple top.

Feel free to ask questions. Doing some chores tonight, so can't make this an overly long post.

It actually came out a little darker than the pics are showing.
Last edited by syntheticocean at Jul 4, 2011,
childofbodem
Really hates his username
65 IQ
Loving the look of that body's finish, man.
Gear:
Yamaha RGX620DZ
Ibanez TK999HT
Marshall MG50FX (One that sounds good! :O )
Ibanez RG470
Line 6 Spider II Half-stack (Again, one that sounds good! Oh, wait, maybe it's just because I don't use unnessecary amounts of Gain and Bass. Twats.)
valennic
No longer Adam West.
4,337 IQ
Did you dye it black, sand it back, then dye it blue?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

xadioriderx
Gnome from Wiring Thread
1,565 IQ
wow, got some great color out of that! looking great. what dye did you use?
ironrattlehead
UG Newbie
34 IQ
Yeah you did! That is Fully AWESOME!!! I built a warmoth once upon a time and I love it! It has become my number 1 guitar and I plan to build another. I figure, why settle for someone else's idea when you can make your own? If you like, you can take a look on my blog of my build. Here's The Link Any idea what pickups you are going to use? I put Dimarzio Pickups in mine and I love them.
syntheticocean
2,295 IQ
Quote by xadioriderx
wow, got some great color out of that! looking great. what dye did you use?

I used THIS dye. First started out with black, on the entire body and neck. THen I sanded back the flat surface of the quilted maple. Then on to blue over the entire body.

Quote by ironrattlehead
Yeah you did! That is Fully AWESOME!!! I built a warmoth once upon a time and I love it! It has become my number 1 guitar and I plan to build another. I figure, why settle for someone else's idea when you can make your own? If you like, you can take a look on my blog of my build. Here's The Link Any idea what pickups you are going to use? I put Dimarzio Pickups in mine and I love them.

I plan on putting the new EMG JH's in there.
Last edited by syntheticocean at May 25, 2011,
syntheticocean
2,295 IQ
Quote by ironrattlehead

I absolutely love the black on white there. I can't wait to have this guitar put together. Its gonna be sexy as hellllllll! When this thing is wet the finish is so amazing I actually hear angels sing.About time I got a guitar that is EXACTLY what I want down to the last screw!
syntheticocean
2,295 IQ
Quote by Explorerbuilder
You are going to grainfill AFTER a washcoat of lacquer??... that is going to end in disaster... the lacquer under the grainfille ris going to shrink, and those pores are going to show up through the finish in no time.

I was told by a local guitar builder that if I didn't seal the body prior to grainfilling that the ebony grainfiller would stain the guitar further black. He told me this was the best way to do it.

Edit: How do you feel about not filling the grain? I know it won't be as smooth as glass, and I'm not sure I've ever seen it done that way, but is it an option? Have any good guitars been done that way?
Last edited by syntheticocean at Jun 3, 2011,
syntheticocean
2,295 IQ
Quote by Explorerbuilder
You are going to grainfill AFTER a washcoat of lacquer??... that is going to end in disaster... the lacquer under the grainfille ris going to shrink, and those pores are going to show up through the finish in no time.

Decided to look up a little more info regarding this, and stewmac seems to agree with my schedule as well. http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Finishing/Finishing_schedules/i-nitrocellulose.html

Not tha I'm doubting you at all Explorerbuilder, as I've seen(and envied) some of your stuff so I am sure you have some idea of what you are talking about. I pray that this doesn't end in disaster as right at this very moment this is the most beautiful blue I have ever seen on a guitar. I could not have been any more happy wth the results I've attained so far.

Quote by xadioriderx
all i can say is wow.
but be careful doing anything out in the sun, it will cause blistering as far as ive read

I only did the painting out there. I don't have an inside work area to paint. I did 3x3 washcoats and then took it inside to dry.
Last edited by syntheticocean at Jun 4, 2011,
xadioriderx
Gnome from Wiring Thread
1,565 IQ
ah good to hear, i also would hate to see this end in disaster. it actually inspired me to go ahead with dying my current build. i had thought about it for a while then decided not to. but now im gonna give it a shot. going with green - black burst though i think!
syntheticocean
2,295 IQ
Quote by xadioriderx
ah good to hear, i also would hate to see this end in disaster. it actually inspired me to go ahead with dying my current build. i had thought about it for a while then decided not to. but now im gonna give it a shot. going with green - black burst though i think!

With gold hardware please!
xadioriderx
Gnome from Wiring Thread
1,565 IQ
most of the hardware is black on this one. was going to do black/natural. i plan on doing a gold one soon, ill still have green left for that! green/gold always looks awesome
IMO guitars with gold are pretty "classy" which for me often means bigger or semi-hollow or archtop. this build is pretty small. 12 inch wide body
Last edited by xadioriderx at Jun 4, 2011,
syntheticocean
2,295 IQ
Quote by xadioriderx
most of the hardware is black on this one. was going to do black/natural. i plan on doing a gold one soon, ill still have green left for that! green/gold always looks awesome
IMO guitars with gold are pretty "classy" which for me often means bigger or semi-hollow or archtop. this build is pretty small. 12 inch wide body

Black will work well too especially with a black burst. People were telling me to do gold hardware on this but I don't want classy for it. It's a metal guitar and most metal guitars are black or red. I wanted a blue you only see on high end guitars while still keeping it dark. I think it's coming along awesome. The color is absolutely perfect to me.
syntheticocean
2,295 IQ
Yeah. I'm doing all black hardware with the new emg James hetfield pickups. They are the only exposed pickups I've ever liked the look of. Hopefully they sound as good as the reviews have made them sound
metalhead352
UG's bacon strips
535 IQ
dude, this is BEAUTIFUL. Black hardware's gonna look great.
*insert witty statement here*
jecox13
Strat Lover!
769 IQ
Man that is one sweet build
@jecox ssssoooo ssweeeet that whole set up is so sweet. If I had any distortion/delay setup it would be the akai headrush and BM. Awesome set up.

syntheticocean
2,295 IQ

I've actually got some strings on it right now so I can set the action and whatnot. The pickups which comes with the pots(I have the knobs) and the 3way are due in on the 27th.

the color of the headstock, is the way the entire back looks. Its just very hard to catch the color in the camera. The mahogany is giving me a pearl like effect on the back so at different angles it looks black and you get glimpses of the blue every so often.
Last edited by syntheticocean at Jun 23, 2011,
xadioriderx
Gnome from Wiring Thread
1,565 IQ
Quote by ethan_hanus
That, is really awesome...I wonder if staining and building a guitar like this would be cheaper....hummm.

it can be, or it can be more expensive depending on how you go about it.
but would you be more proud to play a great sounding guitar you bought, or you built?
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy
5,267 IQ
Quote by xadioriderx
it can be, or it can be more expensive depending on how you go about it.
but would you be more proud to play a great sounding guitar you bought, or you built?

True, I just want a simple Strat body guitar that's a mahogany body with a flame maple top. I absolutely love flame maple and mahogany body together.
xadioriderx
Gnome from Wiring Thread
1,565 IQ
also depends how much work you want to do.
warmoth is fairly expensive but you get a great product and you can have a lot of the hard stuff done for you. the more you start from scratch the less money, but the more work.
my guitar isnt near as clean as this one is, at all, but i also only spent like 150 bucks on stuff. lol
syntheticocean
2,295 IQ
Quote by xadioriderx
dude. thats looking sweet!
what color is the warmoth decal? is it gold or?
no fret markers?

http://www.warmoth.com/Warmoth-Metal-Decal-Chrome-P66C219.aspx

The made in usa didn't want to stick entirely so I just took those letters off since they are all individual.

Quote by ethan_hanus
That, is really awesome...I wonder if staining and building a guitar like this would be cheaper....hummm.

Well, it was a learning process. There were headaches and times I wish I could just scrap it for firewood, but when I see you guys appreciate it and tell me it looks awesome I have to stop criticizing myself. It is not at all perfect. I've got sand throughs that aren't too visible in pictures, my final finish is far from scratch free.

Keep in mind, I didn't build the neck and body. I am absolutely not capable of that. I bought it from Warmoth and the unfinished neck and body with the exact specs I wanted came to 680$... lets do a mastercard commercial

Warmoth neck and body: ~680$
Additional hardware including pickups: ~500$
Finishing supplies: ~125$
Having a completely custom guitar that NO ONE ELSE HAS: Priceless... and then some.

So the total for the guitar was about 1300$. I could have went cheaper on some parts, but I wasn't about to. The reason the hardware was so much:

Tuneomatic: 70
Planet Waves Auto Trim Tuners: 68
EMG James Hetfield Signature Pickups: 240.

The rest was tiny stuff. But it added up.
syntheticocean
2,295 IQ
http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Body=2&Shape=1&Type=1&Paint=0&Path=Stratocaster,Standard,Unfinished&lamTop=7

There are the showcase bodies, that they already have built with flamed tops, unfinished.

And here are the finished:
http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Body=2&Shape=1&Type=1&Paint=1&Path=Stratocaster,Standard,Finished&lamTop=7

Granted all of them have alder or swamp ash bodies.

I know the next guitar I'm getting will be from them. Only i'm going to let them do the finish most likely this time.
inkandlead
730 IQ
^Ah man, you should've done it. It has nothing to do with electricity and is actually easier (in my opinion) than building. Could've been all you! But regardless the finish looks great. Good job.