Page 1 of 2
hey guys!!

I realized there isn't a Carvin thread out here. So I thought I could make one..

I myself don't have one but I'm saving up for one.

So, show me your Carvins!! I bet they're sexy :p
Gear:
LTD EC-50
Vypyr 30

Sanpera II funds: $206

Quote by JKHC
I know....in dumpsters, closets....what next? I'm going to stand outside for the rest of the day. Maybe a guitar will fall out of the sky and I can catch it.
Quote by Output
hey guys!!

I realized there isn't a Carvin thread out here. So I thought I could make one..

I myself don't have one but I'm saving up for one.

So, show me your Carvins!! I bet they're sexy :p

Carvin thread or not, I'm in the same boat as you- I want one, BAD!

Actually, since I play in 2 different tunings, I want 2: a SH550 in Spalted Maple w/Biggsby trem...and another one in Claro Walnut.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
That one's been dead for a good while. Here's my CS3:

Love it to pieces and love it more all the time. I'm thinking if I come into some good money later in life I'll expand my collection big time.

Love it to death. Plays beautiful, looks gorgeous, sounds great. My only complaint though is that I don't get much sustain, and I'm not really sure why. It sustains as long as my other guitars acoustically, so I'm not sure what to do?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
(Invalid img)

Love it to death. Plays beautiful, looks gorgeous, sounds great. My only complaint though is that I don't get much sustain, and I'm not really sure why. It sustains as long as my other guitars acoustically, so I'm not sure what to do?

Could it be the pickups? I know some people think Carvin's pickups kinda suck.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Could it be the pickups? I know some people think Carvin's pickups kinda suck.

I've been thinking that may be the case, but I'm saving for a Taylor(I've been writing acoustic stuff, but my only acoustic is an old off-brand $400 beater, which isn't exactly pleasant to play), so I'm hoping there's a cost-free solution.

...That, and since the problem is now output/sustain, I'm going for a Super Distortion in the bridge, and I can't find a neck or mid pickup to balance.

Quote by necrosis1193

Is that the "Dragonburst" finish?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Is that the "Dragonburst" finish?

It is - I was hesitant at first, simply because there were some before the deep triple-stain thing was mandatory with it that I hated the look of, but with that darkening of the wood in-place, it's gorgeous! Even better in-person.

Well, before I fell in love with the SH550s in those woods, Dragonburst was one of my favorite finishes in their catalog. Right now, they're showcasing it on a DC747C.

I'm hoping to save up for a CT or a CS, Not sure which model yet.

How do these play?? I don't really have anywhere to try one as im in Scotland
I will edit this post later with pictures of my Carvin.

Its easily the best guitar I own.

Alright, here's the info:

Carvin ST300
Original Floyd Rose Trem System (w/ locking nut)
Swamp Ash body
Bridge Pickup: M22SD
Neck Pickup: H22N
Active/Passive Electronics
Phase switch for middle pickup
Coil Splitter for both pickups

It plays like a dream and was more than worth every penny (which was about 120,000 pennies). I might do an actual review of the guitar because one of the best parts of buying a Carvin was the excellent customer service. Though the wait was long (around eight weeks), the guitar was even better than I imagined.

Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Last edited by Vecheka at May 25, 2011,
i will own myself a neckthrough carvin once i get hired and get some pretty decent steady income. probably finance it.

thinking maple neck, swamp ash sides, figured walnut top, birdseye fingerboard, reverse headstock, tung oiled finished with hand rubbed back of neck, stainless frets, locking tuners, graphtech nut, straplocks,

and either:

TOM stringthrough bridge with coil split, phase switch, and active electronics

OR

Wilkinson trem with peizo saddles and coil tapping.
phank, please tell me that your spalted beauty sounds somewhere close to as awesome as it looks!

Well the Nazis in our IT have blocked photobucket, so I have to try this from my phone.

Here's my CT624:

Deep orange burst finish on quilted maple. 24 stainless steel frets, original Floyd with locking nut. Standard C22 pickups, ebony fretboard. It's easily the best guitar I've ever played. The only downside to it is that the high E is pretty close to the edge of the fretboard. And it's really not that it's too close, but if I get a little sloppy I sometimes roll the high E off the edge. Nothing wrong with the guitar, I'm just used to a slightly wider neck.

Took about 3 1/2 months from the day I ordered it to get it built and shipped to me. Well worth the wait.

Is that spalted or burled maple? Hard to tell on my phone. Either way it's sexy as hell!
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at May 26, 2011,
I'm sure it's better than most trem setups, but withough a locking nut it's never gonna be as stable as a floyd. I've read a lot of people have very good results with that combo though. Plus IIRC the wilkinson won't let you pitch up unless it's recessed (at least not much).
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
Anyone played a TLB60 3 pickup bolt neck? I'm considering an american strat, but I bet I can get more bang for the buck by getting a bolt.

Really I don't know why I'm even bothering to ask... I have a fair amount of Carvin gear, and it's all prety amazing. Well... except the compressor. Not really a big fan of that, but everything else rocks.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
The guitars are quite well built so you do get value for your money. My first Carvin was a Bolt kit. That's $399 but I had $200 upgrades done to it. I liked it so much That I had a DC127 made with the same upgrades to the fretboard as the Bolt plus more upgrades.

By the way, the Bolt was HSS as built then I changed it to HSH and now SSS.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Last edited by OldRocker at May 26, 2011,
Recently occurred to me that I hadn't taken any new photos of my Carvin since my NGD thread. And as I now have access to a DSLR, that's just plain terrible. So, I took avantage of the timing of this realization(Right at sunset, perfect for lighting), and went out and took a bunch, which, comparing the old to the new, looked much improved.

I thought you guys might enjoy since this is a Carvin-thread, so here's a link to the photo gallery.

Showoff!

I'm thinking about saving up for a Carvin this summer.

ST300C
Right Handed
Floyd Rose Tremolo 1 $919.00

LN - Floyd Rose Locking Nut $30.00
BBE - Natural Body Binding w/ Straight Edges $50.00
MAH - Maple Neck/Mahogany Body $50.00
-CG - Clear Gloss Finish (Standard) $0.00
FTB - Sapphire Blue Flame $180.00
DTS - Deep Triple Step Stain/Color Process $80.00
5MW - 5-Piece Maple Neck w/ 2 Walnut Stripes $100.00
NS - Neck Covered By Optional Top Wood $40.00
-IN - Inline Headstock (Standard) $0.00
FPH - Flamed Maple Headstock Matches Body Color $40.00
-EB - Ebony Fingerboard (Standard) $0.00
NIN - No Top Inlays - Side Dots Only $0.00
STF - Stainless Med-Jumbo Frets .048" H .103" W FREE $0.00
-R12 - 12in Fretboard Radius (Standard) $0.00
-C22B - C22B Bridge Pickup (Standard) $0.00
-C22J - C22J Neck Pickup (Standard) $0.00
-400 - Black Coils w/ Black Bezels (Standard) $0.00
-CH - Chrome Hardware (Standard) $0.00
-46 - Elixir 1046E Light Gauge .010 - .046 (Standard) $0.00
ABL - Abalone Logo $30.00
SL - Dunlop Straplocks $10.00
HC11S - Form-Fitted ABS Hardshell Case FREE $0.00
Custom Shop Total: $1,529.00
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne

ST300C
Right Handed

Basically what I'd go for. Do it!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Showoff!

Guilty as charged. You would too if you had dargonburst and a DSLR.

Quote by OliOsbourne

ST300C
Right Handed

I'm not a floyd fan, though that's because I've never been able to use them well, they're great if you can think of a use. Beyond that though, me likey, though I'd go with quilt over flame personally - Both are gorgeous, but there's just something about a good quilt top that I love.

Quote by CapnKickass
DC400A

*Pics*

Beauty, the quilt almost looks like flames! Not in a corny car-decal type of way, either, as in it looks like real fire! How're the active electronics?

Last edited by necrosis1193 at May 27, 2011,
Quote by OldRocker
Here's my Carvins.

*pics*

hello fellow texan! just wondering what the body of that bolt is made out of? i was pricing out a bolt last year but ended up going with something different. that looks amazing with the white pups and knobs!

Quote by phank

its been a while since the mere image of a guitar actually made me say holy shit. Spalt tops are hit or miss or me, and this is one is definitely hit!!!!

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

quick off topic: should I change the name of the thread to "official carvin lovers thread"? seeing as almost all threads about _____ lovers are named like that
Gear:
LTD EC-50
Vypyr 30

Sanpera II funds: $206

Quote by JKHC
I know....in dumpsters, closets....what next? I'm going to stand outside for the rest of the day. Maybe a guitar will fall out of the sky and I can catch it.
Quote by SYLrules88
hello fellow texan! just wondering what the body of that bolt is made out of? i was pricing out a bolt last year but ended up going with something different. that looks amazing with the white pups and knobs!

its been a while since the mere image of a guitar actually made me say holy shit. Spalt tops are hit or miss or me, and this is one is definitely hit!!!!

Thanks pardner.

It's walnut. The pups are the new set Carvin came out with, the S60As. They're alnico blade types and sweet sounding.

I went for the tuxedo look.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Definitely some nice looking axes in here! Makes mine look quite plain, but I dig the sunburst/wood combo. Plus, I was too poor to afford a maple top... had to cut costs somewhere!

To the guy thinking of ordering the ST300C, I have nothing but great things to say about mine. When I have access to a decent camera I will take some better pictures.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Biggest negative about ordering a Carvin... The waiting.

They estimated mine would take 12 weeks. I ordered it at X-mas, so I was expecting them to be pretty busy. It took every bit of 12 weeks too. It actually took a few days beyond their estimated completion date.

It was torture. I checked my account daily to see if it had shipped. I wish they would give more detailed status on their orders, instead of just saying "processing". Would be nice if it updated status at every step of the build process so you know what's going on with your guitar. I actually told the customer service guy that, and he said that they were working on implementing something like that.

One thing I found out after I ordered is that you can pay like $100 more and put a rush order on it. That guarantees the guitar will be done within 30 days instead of like 3 months, but you have to add it when you place the order, and I'm pretty sure there's no option for it online so it pays to call the order in if you want that option.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
Wel mr.rs just won the thread.

In other news, I'm about to be the proud owner of a Carvin X100B head. Bagged one off eBay for £275
Quote by jpatan
Biggest negative about ordering a Carvin... The waiting.

They estimated mine would take 12 weeks. I ordered it at X-mas, so I was expecting them to be pretty busy. It took every bit of 12 weeks too. It actually took a few days beyond their estimated completion date.

It was torture. I checked my account daily to see if it had shipped. I wish they would give more detailed status on their orders, instead of just saying "processing". Would be nice if it updated status at every step of the build process so you know what's going on with your guitar. I actually told the customer service guy that, and he said that they were working on implementing something like that.

One thing I found out after I ordered is that you can pay like $100 more and put a rush order on it. That guarantees the guitar will be done within 30 days instead of like 3 months, but you have to add it when you place the order, and I'm pretty sure there's no option for it online so it pays to call the order in if you want that option.

I also ordered mine around Christmas and had to wait almost two entire months. Of course it was worth it, but the wait was agonizing.

Regardless, the customer service at Carvin is excellent. When I ordered my guitar I wanted them to setup the guitar with my specific strings because I didn't want to have to set it up when I got it. So, I shipped them a pair of my strings and when my guitar arrived it was perfectly set up to my specifications!
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Page 1 of 2