Page 1 of 2
I've played a lot of tube amps, but I've never really been satisfied. I always feel like there's something missing in anything besides high-gain. I've been experimenting with by GT-10 and found that a Matchless model with everything on 10 is one of my favorite tones. But I find it to be weak and hollow with the amp's volume under 5. That's the problem I've had with tube amps. My question is how do you get that everything on 10 tone with a tube amp without going deaf? The lowest wattage amp I've played was 7 watts and it was still very loud. I never got it up high enough to make it sound really good.
what amp are you using?

its going to be loud no matter what practically, even those little vox ac4's or whatever they are can get loud.

also i think you would be much better off using a tube amp that suits your needs rather than using an effects processor into whatever tube amp you own. shy of Axe-FX, any processor is going to sound hollow and lifeless.

so i don't undestand what you are trying to do.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i don't undestand what you are trying to do.

+1

I really don't understand the point of this thread. You want to dime all your dials to 10 and play? I'm not certain that is going to sound very good.

Plus you mentioned that you have tried a lot of amps, but if that was the case, you should know very well that there is simply no way for you to play ANY tube amp on 10 volume without going deaf. Whether its a 1 watter or a 0.1 watter.

I suppose if you want to try, what you can do is to build a sound proof box and keep you amp in there as you play.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Get an amp with master volume, crank the gain up (channel volume), and master volume to level desired level. A GOOD master volume is meant to get you everything you want tonewise at minimal cost to tone. Or you can get a low wattage amp and crank that.
get an attenuater
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
The GT-10 sounds nothing like the Matchless will in real life and I seriously doubt you'd get a usable tone from almost any amp with everything at 10 (excepting the Marshall Plexi and some others), especially a Matchless.

Another thing is that your ears get used to loudness rather quickly and can adjust themselves. Play a 50 watt tube amp at '1' for 5 minutes, then turn it up to '2', then play for five minutes, etc., until it starts sounding great.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at May 25, 2011,
you pull down your pants and drop a fat load on your tubes. boom, instant success.

but really, any tube amp will be very loud. its a double edged sword man. get one with a good master volume.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by ragingkitty
Plus you mentioned that you have tried a lot of amps, but if that was the case, you should know very well that there is simply no way for you to play ANY tube amp on 10 volume without going deaf. Whether its a 1 watter or a 0.1 watter.

I always play my Champ on 10. If there was room to mount it I'd replace the volume knob with a grid leak choke.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Your only other option is doing it how they do in the studio, put your cab in a sound proof room, mic it up, and listen to it through some monitors.
Quote by Cathbard
I always play my Champ on 10. If there was room to mount it I'd replace the volume knob with a grid leak choke.

Has much hearing left Cath?"

Should put a disclaimer on my original post, ALL dials (incl EQ)
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Hearing is overrated, Beethoven didn't seem to need it.

On a Champ there is only the one knob. We don't need no stinking EQ.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
100 watts isn't that loud. i mean it's loud. it's really loud. but not that loud.

modern high gain is cranking the preamp tubes.

old school is cranking the power tubes.

awesome is cranking 6 preamp stages and the power tubes.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
100 watts isn't that loud. i mean it's loud. it's really loud. but not that loud.

Still loud enough to hurt.

Quote by Cathbard
Hearing is overrated, Beethoven didn't seem to need it.

On a Champ there is only the one knob. We don't need no stinking EQ.

I'd like to not have to shout at everyone in future, thank you very much. Bad enough deal with my tinnitus as it is, I get an attack everytime I hear high pitched sounds.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
well ya. it's gonna hurt. but you won't die. or anything.

i'm not a big fan of power tube distortion anyway.

200watts and a beefy preamp is a-ok for me.

I had constant tinitis for several years following a judo injury, you can get used to anything.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you wanna go boutique, AudioKitchen has it figured out.
If I understand right, they have a headroom control in a way. It isn't that from a technical standpoint, I think. It's more of a wattage control - like a built in variac. But it ends up doing that.
Last edited by Sir Anonymous at May 25, 2011,
I'm talking about getting power amp distortion for more classic tones. I love the harmonics, compression, and dynamics. Anyone know how loud something like a Zvex Nano is?
Quote by JELIFISH19
I'm talking about getting power amp distortion for more classic tones. I love the harmonics, compression, and dynamics. Anyone know how loud something like a Zvex Nano is?

Not much softer than a 1 watt amp. When I tried it, it compressed the signal very significantly, I felt that I didn't have much picking dynamics left and the harmonics sounded a little flat.

I personally think the ZVex Nano is a gimmick of an amp. Works as an amp, if you want a very compressed sound. I couldn't get much of a chimey clean tone. It has its applications, but these applications tend to be limited.

Not good value for money IMO.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
It's not that loud to crank some amps. I can play with mine full out all the time like i do in band practice or on stage and it's pretty damn loud but it won't send you deaf in 10 seconds or anything, it depends on how trebley your tone is aswell though as to how loud it appears to us though, lots of those high mids will be painful.
plus most preamps sound the same but power tube distortion is unique to the tube.

the nano sounds like crap because it's not using a power tube.

you wanna hear what a single ended 12ax7 driven to overdrive sounds like just turn up your preamp gain.

a reason bambino or the red iron lil mo does it right with a 6aq5 which is a proper power tube.

Quote by GODhimself37
get an attenuater

this - i believe some orange heads come with this- you can lower the wattage get that tube break up at low voltage.

new tube amps IMO also need a few hours playing cranked before they really come into their own.
Sorry i'm late, but my walk has got terribly silly today
Quote by Naruto00121
Try a sound compresser. Works for me

i agree with this to a degree.

not knowing what the TS is actually hearing, i can't say it would work for them but yea.
Quote by JELIFISH19

Even if you can find a 1 watt amp that is quiet enough for you to crank, it's still not going to sound like a cranked hi wattage amp.

Look into finding either a good attenuator, or an Iso cab. Other than that the only thing you can do is buy an amp that still sounds good at low volumes, shouldn't be too hard.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by JohnFrusciante6
honestly there is no point of getting a tube amp unless you are in a band. get a really nice solid state and your problems will go away. also i have no idea what this thread is about.

i have no idea what your post is about.

only people actively playing in bands should have tube amps.

i go in and out of bands a lot playing one or two at a time, just moving around, and i also like jamming with musician friends, and have a lot of stuff in my studio.

guess when i am not an active musician i don't need a tube amp, i should just ditch the splawns and '68 bassman and lee jackson, and go buy a SS.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by JohnFrusciante6
honestly there is no point of getting a tube amp unless you are in a band. get a really nice solid state and your problems will go away. also i have no idea what this thread is about.

Somebody has been in the bathtub gin again.

Quote by AcousticMirror
Somebody has been in the bathtub gin again.

White lightnin'!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
White lightnin'!

3 litres from aldi, cheaper then a pint of banks mild in my local
Sorry i'm late, but my walk has got terribly silly today
I can crank my 1 watt Blackheart Killer Ant and it is just above TV level. Sounds cranked. When I crank my 60 watt Vypyr tube it is loud but not blistering loud. Loud enough to gig unmic'd possibly. When I crank my 50 watt Splawn I need to wear earplugs and cranked is 12 noon.

Quote by AcousticMirror
plus most preamps sound the same but power tube distortion is unique to the tube.

I thought it was the other way around?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I can crank my 1 watt Blackheart Killer Ant and it is just above TV level. Sounds cranked. When I crank my 60 watt Vypyr tube it is loud but not blistering loud. Loud enough to gig unmic'd possibly. When I crank my 50 watt Splawn I need to wear earplugs and cranked is 12 noon.

I thought it was the other way around?

90 percent of preamp tubes sound like class A 12ax7s overdriven.

Weber MASS attenuator. You (sort of) get the natural sound of your amp cranked, but can dial down the volume so you and those around you don't go deaf. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by GODhimself37
get an attenuater

This.

But, if you do choose to get it and use it, you're going to be playing your amp at full/ near full volume every time you use your amp, therefore, you're going to be pushing the tubes to their max, which will wear them out like you're gigging the amp everyday and they will need to be changed a lot more often.
Get a amp modded by RAT amps. ~Iv got 2 and they sound awesome. they have a output power reduction knob so you can get tube saturation at low volumes!
I'd say get an attenuator of some sort (I use my Boss Eq.) but like a few have said... It will make your tubes die a bit pre-mature if you max them all the time. You really want to spend $300.00+ every 6 months?
Quote by IbanezBossShred
I'd say get an attenuator of some sort (I use my Boss Eq.) but like a few have said... It will make your tubes die a bit pre-mature if you max them all the time. You really want to spend $300.00+ every 6 months?

The Boss EQ isn't an attenuator. And what are you talking about $300+ every 6 months?
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by IbanezBossShred

A Boss EQ as an attenuator?

You sure your OT hasn't already blown?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by IbanezBossShred

Are you lowering the volume on your eq and raising the volume on your amp? thats not how an attenuator works, and your still not driving your tubes into saturation.
Page 1 of 2