Page 1 of 2
Read Last Few Posts In This Thread!!! Need Quick Advice!!!
Last edited by HookedOnHifonic at May 25, 2011,
It's a decent starter guitar. You could have done much worse. The only thing is that at that price point, there are much better Les Paul copies...namely anything Agile Al-2000+ from Rondo Music.

http://rondomusic.com/

You could get an Agile Al-3000 for about the same price and the quality rivals that of Gibson Studios and some might even argue Gibson Les Paul Standards. In any case, they're much better than Epiphone.

Still, my first electric guitar was MUCH worse than that one. It'll work great for you while you learn on it.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
considering my first guitar was an acurian strat buyed on radioshack, I think it's awesome, I don't think that you need sticker on your frets, sure it will be a little harder, but it won't do any damage to you to learn where to play without need of seeing the fret inlays.
Quote by Våd Hamster
Fuck yes you are the best poster ever

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
Just noticed I have an hour to cancel my order. Should I take a look at a few other buying options? I was also looking at the Epiphone Nightfall, but nothing really beyond epiphone.

I would love a few suggestions. I have definitely decided on a black finish, and a LP. So if there are others out there that are better quality, are les pauls, and are black, I will look into it!
I don't know what the nightfall is, but you have a couple decent guitars picked out, especially for a first guitar.

I tend to recommend people buy a used guitar, especially the older, made in Japan Ibanezes, but since it's your first guitar I don't expect you to spend hours on craigslist/ebay/guitar center looking for the best deal.
that a good beginning guitar, mine was a epi SG 400. About the same level of guitar.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
I think you did rather well for a first. Are there better out there? Hell Yeah there is! But that's not the point. As your just starting out you want to have an instrument that you like(if not love!) and while a nicer one would play better, whats the point of buying a $1000 guitar if you may not stay committed. Starting out is the hardest and most frustrating part. That guitar is way better than my first. I started out on a Epiphone Les Paul Special II. Had a hell of a run getting started on it too. Never really got committed until I got a fairly decent amp myself. Great pick for your first and hopefully not your last!
My Rig: Gibson SG Menace
Gibson Les Paul Menace (Heavy Modded Project)
PRS Mike Mushok Baritone
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone Dot Deluxe
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Epiphone Worn '66 Wilshire
Egnater 15W Tweaker, 112 Cab
I personally would have gone with an Epiphone Goth Explorer or a Goth V(which I have an love) but LP's good too. If anything, I'd first change the tuners. Get some grovers in there. Other than that, I actually like the pickups that Goth series Epi's have. Also Ernie ball strings would be good replacements.
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Hmm...May 27th to May 20th? Either you meant 30th or you're some kind of time traveler.

Choose your steel. Be the hero or die the fool.
Just face me on this burning bridge and show me
which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<
i started on an encore. bad times. the epi is a great guitar for a begginer. best thing really would have been to go to a store though and actually try a couple out to find your favourite sound and feel.
Gear :
Blackstar HT Soloist 60
Blackstar HT212 Extension Cabinet
G&L ASAT Special Tribute
Cort KX5
Tanlgewood TD8 Acoustic
Kustom Practice Amp 10W Dart.
Boss DD7 Pedal
Korg Pitch Black
Mapex QR Series Drum Kit
It's a great guitar! Don't worry about the lack of fret inlay, the number of frets is displayed on the side of the fretboard. I still have mine, few years old and still doing perfect. Great durability and sound ranging from jazzy riffs to deathcore breakdowns. DO take good care of the fretboard, it tends to get rough after playing for a few hours and could crack if you dont clean it. Be careful with the varnish, its mat and does scratch easily. I used to have a wristband with spikes and it scratched a bit. Hard to see from a distance, but when you look closely it looks a bit strange :P The humbuckers are excelent quality, no changes needed. Do note: The headstock is pretty big and has a chance not to fit in some bags.

The price seems to be good enough, overall excellent guitar (for every experience level). Epiphone is great quality, unlike what most people say. I don't know, maybe some models are sh*t, but this one isn't
someone here told me once:

Buying in a hurry is never a good idea. You'll regret it.

So, don't buy in a hurry man
Gear:
LTD EC-50
Vypyr 30

Sanpera II funds: $206

Quote by JKHC
I know....in dumpsters, closets....what next? I'm going to stand outside for the rest of the day. Maybe a guitar will fall out of the sky and I can catch it.
My advice is dont get a first guitar with a floyd rose tremolo, it is only going to be a huge hassle.
My gear:
Ibanez RG 570 w. Irongear pickups
Tokai EX-55 Korina Explorer
Laney VC50 w. Eminence speakers
Digitech Bad Monkey
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
ISP Decimator
Roland Cube 20X
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Completly agree, also the fact that low end guitars have horrible tremolo's on them.
Quote by x_trivium_x
That should be a pretty decent guitar

I agree.

On another note, this is a very difficult process lol

I ran across this PRS so its these 2 I will be choosing from.

Agile AL-3100 Black

OR

This PRS

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/productDetail/productDetail.jsp?src=3WFRWXX&entProductId=H70031

Which one would you buy???
Last edited by HookedOnHifonic at May 25, 2011,
Stop increasing your budget, impulse buying is one of the worst things newbie can do
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by megano28
Stop increasing your budget, impulse buying is one of the worst things newbie can do

Your probably right. There will always be a nicer guitar, and I need to stop looking for that nice"r" one lol
Quote by HookedOnHifonic
I agree.

On another note, this is a very difficult process lol

I ran across this PRS so its these 2 I will be choosing from.

Agile AL-3100 Black

OR

This PRS

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/productDetail/productDetail.jsp?src=3WFRWXX&entProductId=H70031

Which one would you buy???

The PRS, though I'm a bit biased.
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
I'd go with agile. That will be MORE than good enough for your starter guitar. It'd be a bit silly to spend even that much on your first guitar, who knows if you'll keep playing?
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Yeah don't spend 500 on your first guitar. You don't even know if your going to go through the hard work of learning to play.
2010 Epiphone Dot
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
2009 Taylor 110 acoustic
Quote by HookedOnHifonic
The PRS will hold most of it's value if I sold, correct?

nope. as soon as a guitar is used, its worth between 2/3 and 1/2 of what it was new, regardless of condition.

guitars are kinda like a car. you buy them to use, not to sell at a later date for a profit (or to even get your money back)
Neither holds their value.

Get the prs.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The PRS. On the record though, I think it's unwise to spend more than $200 on your very first guitar that you plan to learn on. Some people stick it out. A lot don't. Which is why there's a plethora of used starter pack guitar & amps littering craigslist.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it.

Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
Quote by gregs1020
Neither holds their value.

Get the prs.

This.

The PRS is the much nicer guitar and if its the one you wanted first time round, its the one you will want to play.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Output
someone here told me once:

Buying in a hurry is never a good idea. You'll regret it.

So, don't buy in a hurry man

Yeeahhh...looks at sig.

Love em all tho aha
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
canceled my order on the Agile, and went ahead and ordered the PRS Tremonti SE for 525 free ship no tax.

Now it's time to let it ship here, and start playing
Shew....this floppage is pretty insane. I made an impulse buy once....*shudders* "MG100 HDFX" and now I am regretting it. I would seriously suggest taking your time.
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
Quote by HookedOnHifonic
What makes a singlecut more expensive???

And is it worth that extra 80-100 bucks they charge for it???
Many guitars are singlecut, the PRS too. Its the cut on the bottom of the guitar to give you access to higher frets. Most electric guitars (especially les paul shaped ones) have it. You are probably paying a little bit extra for the PRS on the headstock......happens with many expensive brands: PRS, Gibson, Fender, Godin etc.

Anyway, I would get the PRS. The problem is that if you give up on playing guitar, then thats a $100 dollars you could have saved. Not that there's any reason not to play guitar
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by HookedOnHifonic
What makes a singlecut more expensive???

they aren't.

the tremonte is a sig guitar, and barely more than the custom 24. (about the same i believe) and it's cheaper than most PRS SE signature models.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
they aren't.

the tremonte is a sig guitar, and barely more than the custom 24. (about the same i believe) and it's cheaper than most PRS SE signature models.

So what does the tremonte have that a custom 24 doesn't?
Page 1 of 2