I'm just starting out singing cleans because we fired our singer. I found out yesterday (When my band were talking about cleans) that I have a naturally good clean voice. I've been doing low growls with lead playing for my band since we started. My bassist told me I sound a bit like the Killswitch Engage singer with cleans (But obviously i'm not anywhere near his skill level). And before you ask, I am NOT black. I am Caucasian. Anyone who does opera, I am interested in learning cleans with that opera sound like Rob Halford and Bruce Dickinson so also give me some pointers.

FYI - I can go down to an E1 without sounding like a dead goat and I can go up to a G5 with falsetto. I am 17, male, large frame and 6'2 ft.

Is there anything I can do to help improve my voice?
Is there any warm-up and practices I should do?
What range would I best be suited to?
Well I've taken lyrical singing lessons (opera basically), but I'm female :/

The biggest things that my teacher picked on me for was making sure I had my mouth open, was singing from the diaphragm and breathing exercises.

It's really physical, but once you find it.. a lyrical voice is VERY powerful. (My husband is blown away by my power if he is near me when I sing)

I suggest starting with breathing exercises, it is the best foundation. There's also a link floating around here in this forum about "Bel Canto" see if you can find it
^ here are those links:

www.thebelcantotechnique.com
www.brianvollmer.com

I really do recommend lessons, though. You wouldn't learn to drive a car, or swim, or to do karate on line, would you?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I'd reccomend a teacher that works from this style, as well.

Once you have the right guide, just sing sing sing. Takes time to develop the power that this style needs.
Quote by Naruto00121
And before you ask, I am NOT black. I am Caucasian.

Umm... WTF does that have to do with anything?
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Only thing I can think of is that Howard is black, so we might get the idea that if he sounds like Howard he might be black. Dunno.
Quote by Naruto00121
And before you ask, I am NOT black. I am Caucasian.

Heh.... funny you should mention, because before YOU ask, I am not Caucasian. I am black. And before you ask, I am not straight. I am gay. And before you ask, I may or may not be an honest man.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
The world does know. I'm not either of those things. Well, I am doing some breathing and scale exersises at the moment and I can hold notes for slightly longer now which is good. Thanks for all the recommendations. Keep 'em coming!!!
It would be quite a phenonemal combination, mixing death growls with opera.
Can you please give me a PM when your band releases their debeut album featuring your opera growling.
Thankyou, Ultraussie.

I'd get vocal lessons if you were going to truly perfect! it.
You can't learn to sing online.
METAL!
Howard Jones is a phenomenal vocalist, but is by no means an operatic singer. He sings with a powerful voice and a bit of vibrato, and that's where the parallels end. Truly classically trained singers are to pop singers what John Williams is to Kurt Cobain on guitar. They both sound great but there's just so much more precision and technique involved in classical music.

My point is, you don't want people who sing opera. You just want that "operatic" sound that comes from a strong tenor like Dickinson singing with lots of vibrato.

As most people have mentioned, it takes a strong vocalist to pull this vocal style off. I would recommend starting down the bottom of your range, not the very bottom but that little bit up where singing notes is a total piece of cake for you. That's where you should start working on your power. Really support the notes with your diaphragm and feel them resonate in your chest. Read up on vibrato and how to achieve a nice, clean and controlled sound. Once you get the technique down where it's easiest to do, you start applying that to the rest of your range.

Hope this helps.
Man I wish I started with a skill set like yours.

Anyways, Id say you are a baritone probably. As far as technique huge breaths. One technique I learned in wind ensemble is breath as deep and quickly as you can (it should not sound like a gasp) then breathe it out very quicikly. Then once you got that practice singing loud. Very loud. Use lots of air.
Quote by corrda00
Man I wish I started with a skill set like yours.

Anyways, Id say you are a baritone probably. As far as technique huge breaths. One technique I learned in wind ensemble is breath as deep and quickly as you can (it should not sound like a gasp) then breathe it out very quicikly. Then once you got that practice singing loud. Very loud. Use lots of air.

Volume shouldn't really be the goal. Its often a side effect of getting the sound you want, but you don't want to be directly trying for volume. You really want the minimum amount of volume and effort possible.