Hi guys, I'm hopefully soon going to get a 7 string (changed my mind again!), and I'm very interested in the Ibanez RG1527. The only problemm I see with it is the floating tremolo. I've never owned one before, and heared they're a pain, especially if you don't use them too much. This lead me to the RG7621/7421, but after a few weeks of waiting, I haven't found anything. So, I was just wondering, if I got the 1527 and installed a tremel-no, would the Edge Pro bridge still be a pain to ghange tunings/ strings, or is it basicly now a hardtail? If its still a pain, I will just watch and wait for a 76/421...

Oh, and if anyone has a 7621 or 7421 in the UK they don't want... I'd be eternally greatful!!!
Check out my band! Blues mixed with Indie/Alternative from the UK.
Badlands UK
Buying a guitar with a great trem then paying more money for a system to block it makes no sense to me, wait and get a fixed bridge.
You would still have all the normal string change hassle - just with additional block to negotiate.

as far as I understand it the tremol-no is there to increase resonance and add to tuning stability on guitars where their owners thought a trem would be "cool" but then never used it as they didn't quite get it...
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by Shredding 4Life
Right. Sounds like I should brobably wait to get a fixed bridge...

atta boy.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at May 25, 2011,
Any opinions on the Apex 2? Will be quite a lot easier to get my hands on. Or even just the RG7321.

And cheers greg
Badlands UK
Quote by sstony
Buying a guitar with a great trem then paying more money for a system to block it makes no sense to me, wait and get a fixed bridge.

Your normally right but that bollocks. Some guitars only come with trems and the 1527 is an awesome 7 string guitar and I would say its a better guitar than the fixed bridge versions they made before it.

TS the tremel-no is a great system, I had it funnily enough, on my old 1527. Just make sure its installed properly and it works just as advertised.

It is a great piece of kit.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Your normally right but that bollocks. Some guitars only come with trems and the 1527 is an awesome 7 string guitar and I would say its a better guitar than the fixed bridge versions they made before it.

TS the tremel-no is a great system, I had it funnily enough, on my old 1527. Just make sure its installed properly and it works just as advertised.

It is a great piece of kit.

i have to agree with stony here. it makes no sense to him, or me for that matter.

i will admit to being no expert on 7s. but to spend more for something you have to spend more to negate, is spending for the sake of having to spend more.

sounds very obama...
They cost like £30? Its hardly a great expense Greg.

there are no other good 7s in the UK that are as well built or spec'd as a 1527, we dont get things like Agile or fairly priced LTDs I mean a 7621 goes for more than 1527 ( they are not very common and hold their value ) so he would work out spending less going for a 1527+tremel-no ( or bit of wood ).

The fact he wants the tremel-no suggests he will also want to use the trem at some point too.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at May 25, 2011,
Oh cheers Tom. I didn't realise the 7621 were quite so expensive. I thought they were more like £400...

It's now between a 1527 or just a 7321 or Apex 2. All will have a pickup replacement (probably some aftermaths or Crunch Lab/ LiquiFire), so will it be worth it getting the 1527, or shall I not go through the hastle and just get a fixed bridge option. BTW I'll be using it for djenty type stuff. It will probably be in Drop A, A# or Ab. Need to decide which.
Badlands UK
Are you ever going to use the trem? Like ever?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
The Tremol-no doesn't fully block the bridge, although it can be set to lock it if you want. Its main purpose is to restrict the bridge from tipping backwards, raising pitch. This makes it easier to restring. The hard part of restringing and tuning any kind of floating trem isn't the locking nut or locking saddles, its getting the damn thing to balance. As you tune one string up the others go flat, lowering string tension and so the bridge tips backwards and becomes unbalanced. With a Tremol-no you can set the bridge to only dive, meaning it won't pull backwards as strings go flat. It makes restringing and tuning a lot easier.

Though if you don't intend to use the bridge at all, blocking it fully is your best option.
If I had a guitar with a trem, I probably would occasionally use it. Not much, but I would. Especially for solos and stuff. However, if I got a guitar without one, I really wouldn't mind. I'd probably slightly rathaer not tbh, but if the RG1527 is much better I'd probably still go for it.
Badlands UK
Your going to have more luck finding 1527 or 7620 in the UK than a 7621 ( thats my experience at least ) so I would say that if you are going to want to use a trem ( I mean you wont want to play Djent forever ) you are best off getting one and using the tremelno.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Tremolos, especially locking ones are pretty awesome. The locks keep it in tune pretty well, and the tremolo can be fun to mess with.

As for strings changes...really? I find tremolos to be just as easy (i think they designed them so they aren't a pain in the ass) as a fixed bridge. I personally like them better because you don't have to be flipping the guitar around or running strings around and through stuff. It's just drop in, lock, go. They're no hassle at all once you get somewhat used to it
Music must be honest to be timeless.
Right, cheers for the input. I'm almost definately going for a RG1527. I won't only use it for djent now anyway, as if I tune it to Drop A it will be my standerd tuning 6 string as well, and I'll use my Cort for Drop C. And if I'm playing Satch/Vai, the trem will definately be useful. Just for referance, what would be a good price for and Ex Demo/ used 1527?
Badlands UK
You looking at the one on flea bay for £499?

IMO thats over priced, I got my mint RG1527 about 6 months ago for £400.

If your patient I reckon you could get one for closer to that, but if they will supply you with decent pictures of the guitar and HSC and warranty, then £499 still isnt that great a price IMO

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by grohl1987
The Tremol-no doesn't fully block the bridge, although it can be set to lock it if you want. Its main purpose is to restrict the bridge from tipping backwards, raising pitch. This makes it easier to restring. The hard part of restringing and tuning any kind of floating trem isn't the locking nut or locking saddles, its getting the damn thing to balance. As you tune one string up the others go flat, lowering string tension and so the bridge tips backwards and becomes unbalanced. With a Tremol-no you can set the bridge to only dive, meaning it won't pull backwards as strings go flat. It makes restringing and tuning a lot easier.

Though if you don't intend to use the bridge at all, blocking it fully is your best option.

Actually the main purpose is to block the bridge. It was only a year or 2 ago that they added the ability to dive only, with the smaller separate locking block.

Really, floating trems aren't hard to tune/restring. You just have to get used to it, and do it properly (using a ruler or something similar under the string locking screws to keep the trem level)

Tremol-No's aren't that good. I had one, it managed to screw itself up after a week. The shaft that the locking screws lock onto is quite soft, and just tightening the thumbscrews wore into the shaft, meaning the outer piece wouldn't slide over it smoothly, and that made the trem unstable as it would catch on the burrs where the thumbscrews were.
Quote by Tom 1.0
You looking at the one on flea bay for £499?

IMO thats over priced, I got my mint RG1527 about 6 months ago for £400.

If your patient I reckon you could get one for closer to that, but if they will supply you with decent pictures of the guitar and HSC and warranty, then £499 still isnt that great a price IMO

Yea I'm looking at the one on eBay. Not sure I quite understood that last bit btw...

It's actually relatively near me, so I might go and try it out, and then wait for a while.
Badlands UK
If its close enough to go try it...

give them the whole..

"well if I pay cash now you can close it on ebay and not pay sellers fees... etc etc etc"

Then see how much closer to £400 you can get them, it wont sell for £499 on ebay, thats silly money for an advert with that little detail and photography.

The end was confusing

It is well over priced.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by grohl1987
The Tremol-no doesn't fully block the bridge,

wut

EDIT: i agree with phil though- mine didn't die or anything but i found mine very, very fiddly. You know how people complain how awkward floyds are to set up perfectly? floyds are a breeze to set up compared to how finicky the tremol-no was. if you didn't have everything lined up 100% perfectly you could "feel" it was there when using the trem.

i would generally say that getting a trem guitar only to block the trem is a bit of an ass-backwards way of doing it... however tom has a point in that 7s are a lot rarer, and if that's the only decent 7 available over here for sensible money...

it's really up to you.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 25, 2011,
Quote by Tom 1.0
They cost like £30? Its hardly a great expense Greg.

there are no other good 7s in the UK that are as well built or spec'd as a 1527, we dont get things like Agile or fairly priced LTDs I mean a 7621 goes for more than 1527 ( they are not very common and hold their value ) so he would work out spending less going for a 1527+tremel-no ( or bit of wood ).

The fact he wants the tremel-no suggests he will also want to use the trem at some point too.

i wouldn't have guessed that a decent hardtail 7 would be that rare honestly.

in my defense i did say that i wasn't an expert on 7s.
yeah i don't know anything about 7s either, I'm willing to take tom's word on it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gregs1020
i wouldn't have guessed that a decent hardtail 7 would be that rare honestly.

in my defense i did say that i wasn't an expert on 7s.

They aren't. But a decent hardtail ibanez or really any high end 7 that's comparable to the 1527 is much rarer here Greg.

But the 2nd hand markets are so radically different I'll let this one slide

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Any opinions on the Apex 2? I'm almost definately going to get a 1527, but just as a comparison...

Also, I'm not so worried about the tremel-no for using the trem. I wount use the trem very often at all.
Badlands UK
tremel-no put them the other way around and you get no tremel. or no tremolo, pretty clear on google if you'd search it.