So i practice around 5 hours a day. I can practice most things, but i cant learn songs. One i try to transcribe a song, i may not even finish the first riff, because it gets so boring, and the riff songs stops being catchy. I find it a little easyer to play by tab, but it feels like cheating. I have played for 2 years, and play mostly prog metal like btbam, dream theater etc...
Quote by Usernames sucks
So i practice around 5 hours a day. I can practice most things, but i cant learn songs. One i try to transcribe a song, i may not even finish the first riff, because it gets so boring, and the riff songs stops being catchy. I find it a little easyer to play by tab, but it feels like cheating. I have played for 2 years, and play mostly prog metal like btbam, dream theater etc...

You find the learning process boring?

Like anything, that's where discipline comes in. Why are you trying/wanting/needing to learn songs if you don't like the process?

Why is learning in any way "cheating" to you? Do you have this lofty expectation on the way you must learn a song, in such a way that you feel validates you more as a musician. Often times its not the guitar or music that's the issue, its the values and preconceptions that we hold - our own thought patterns that must be overcome to move forward.

Make music fun again and don't think too much. Most people aren't keeping score, and those that do are usually narrow minded and not worth the effort of trying to please.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
Most people aren't keeping score, and those that do are usually narrow minded and not worth the effort of trying to please.

If I ever feel a deep and abiding need for a sig, that will rank very high on the list of potential candidates...
Dont get me wrong, i love playing guitar. I love to jam, improvise, work on my speed/timing and writing songs. The problem whith learning songs, is that i get tierd of how the songs sounds, and i almost start to hate it at times.
Quote by Usernames sucks
Dont get me wrong, i love playing guitar. I love to jam, improvise, work on my speed/timing and writing songs. The problem whith learning songs, is that i get tierd of how the songs sounds, and i almost start to hate it at times.

I find it hard to relate as I sometimes listen to a song A LOT when I am trying to learn it by ear and I love it even more every time I play it. But I suspect that maybe it is the type of songs you are playing? what are some examples of the songs you are trying to play? If they are just songs that are just a few power chords then I understand why you get bored.
Quote by DarrenReeder
I find it hard to relate as I sometimes listen to a song A LOT when I am trying to learn it by ear and I love it even more every time I play it. But I suspect that maybe it is the type of songs you are playing? what are some examples of the songs you are trying to play? If they are just songs that are just a few power chords then I understand why you get bored.

They are not just powerchords.
Last couple of weeks i have been trying prequel to the sequel(btbam), divinations (mastodon) and the great plains (scale the summit).
It may be that the songs are a little bit hard, compared to how fast i can play.
Play along with the original track and see if you still find it boring. Have you ever listened to a song more than twice before? You're going to have to figure out how to get that same pleasure from repeated playing as you do listening.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Sean0913

Make music fun again and don't think too much. Most people aren't keeping score

well said
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 25, 2011,
You must be pretty damn good to be playing BTBAM, especially after only 2 years.

Do you write any of your own stuff? If learning songs is boring then maybe you'd prefer to just write your own stuff? Do you play any other genres other than Prog? It might inspire you to learn some Blues or something different, never hurts to branch out and try new things.
out of curiosity, have you ever trascribed an entire song before? (yes even real simple songs count.)

If not, it may become boring just because what you are trying to figure out is too difficult, just like learning how to play in the first place, you need to start by crawling before you can sprint.

also tabs aren't all that bad, I find that about 85% of good tabs, still have parts that aren't exactly right, so trying to figure out how to play those parts correctly will help with learning by ear....

also about your cheating comment, my response is: you are only cheating if someone (or something) else is playing the guitar for you.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.