a new song that i've written, i have finished recording it today.
a bit different from what i usually write, but im very proud of it.
the guitars and vocals are me, the drums are programmed.
there is a buzz on the vocal channel, but i couldn't get rid of it...
btw, lyrics are on the link as well.
i'de be happy to receive criticism about whatever you feel like - technique, vocals, production.. thanks

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_8798201

c4c ofcourse, just leave a link.

Edit: the link now leads to the re-mixed version, fixed a few parts that lacked the right dynamics.
Last edited by semus at May 29, 2011,
Great style! I like that old folk rock stuff. Where are you from? The music sounds very English. Sounds like you're influenced by Fairport Convention or the likes. If not you should look em up. Richard Thompson is their singer who has been going solo since, he's great too.

As for crit, I think you need to practice more your singing. You've got the ability, but I feel like you could sound a lot more confident. Dynamics too, some parts need soft-singing, but if you don't belt it out at some point the song will get a bit boring. But that's my only crit.

Arrangement is cool, subject matter is cool, melody and guitar part, its all cool.

C4C? Click the link in my sig, cheers!

EDIT: due to the slowness of my PC I just got past the 1:30 mark, well done on the dynamic change in vocals, it got me interested in the song again, its just what it needed.
Last edited by Icarus Lives at May 25, 2011,
I love it. Sounds so folksy and chill. I love the guitar playing and the light percussion. The vocals fit the song so perfectly and because I'm used to repetition in songs, I feel like this had just the right amount of it (some people would disagree and say it was too repetitive).

Overall, it sounds great man. Keep it up!
Nice calm melody, I enjoyed it, though usually I don't listen to such style of music. As for the the buzzing it wasn't so annoying, actually I couldn't hear it for most of the song, but maybe you could use some noise gate and also do some high pass between 8k-12k and low pass somewhere around 150 Hz, is should make it less hearable, unless you've already done it. Nonetheless keep it up

Cheers and if you have some time:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1445342
Quote by Michael87
maybe you could use some noise gate and also do some high pass between 8k-12k and low pass somewhere around 150 Hz, is should make it less hearable, unless you've already done it.

thanks for the tip, i tried a gate, it didnt help much, and i dunno what's a high or low pass.

ill go look at your link now
Quote by semus
thanks for the tip, i tried a gate, it didnt help much, and i dunno what's a high or low pass.

ill go look at your link now

Low pass means that you have to cut all frequencies under 150 Hz and high pass means that you have to cut all frequencies above 8000-12000 Hz (at first you can cut everything above 12 kHz and then go lower to check if it will be better). It may also be good to lower 400 Hz frequency a little bit, but basically there is no pattern, so you have to check different setups. To do it you just need to use equalizer in your recording program, e.g. I use Cubase SX3. Moreover you should equalize all tracks in the song, it really helps. To clean your song you can also check MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 17, it's Movie Editing Software, though you can import just a sound file, and when you do it click on it, and chose "audio cleaning", than use such options like denoiser and dehisser. This program helped me a lot to clean this song I left you link for, though I also used Cubase at the beginning. I used Movie Edit Pro only to mix audio and video and that final audio cleaning. But the most of that cleaning I did exactly with Movie Edit Pro, thanks to this denoiser. I hope it will help you.
Last edited by Michael87 at May 27, 2011,
I like the song, i think it's got a cool unique vibe. The guitars are nice. You have a nice tone to your voice and it sounds good (the buzz isn't really that bad anyway), though there are a few pitching issues here and there. The bass sounds nice and integrated too. The drums work if you intended for them to be very subtle, but they don't have the presence that this sort of song would normally really thrive off (maybe try doubling on some kicks and snares, a bit more reverb on the drums and just bring them a few db higher in the mix?). The structure is a nice folky one, but I do feel that if you added a bit more of a hook or chorus is could make it more memorable too (but that's coming from a pop perspective which you certainly don't have to ad hear to). I really like the low harmonies, they work really well. I like the lyrics too, they really suit the vibe of the song. Good work, keep it up!
It's gotta nice twitch. It made my brain go squiggle. Gotta love that.

Plus, it's nice hearing someone actually sing on this site, instead of a jealous metal man screaming, because he can't.
(C4C) Here's the thread for my loopy loop, "We Began." It's kooky... CLICK
Micheal87:
Im gonna experiment with what you said, try and get it right. Thx alot

Hellz:
im not sure if i want the drums higher, because i was going for something subtle, but i didn't really listen to it with the drums higher so im gonna try it out and see how i like it best.
Im pretty happy with the structure, but i am gonna change a bit of the dynamics - im going to make the backing vocals (aaah's) higher and lower at different places to make the different parts of the song more distinguishable from one another, and i think that's gonna get the feel you were talking about, what do you think?

Hydra:
I do all that, except my drums are programmed, am I The Hydra?

And thanks alot for the good criticism!
Quote by semus
Micheal87:
Im gonna experiment with what you said, try and get it right. Thx alot

Hellz:
im not sure if i want the drums higher, because i was going for something subtle, but i didn't really listen to it with the drums higher so im gonna try it out and see how i like it best.
Im pretty happy with the structure, but i am gonna change a bit of the dynamics - im going to make the backing vocals (aaah's) higher and lower at different places to make the different parts of the song more distinguishable from one another, and i think that's gonna get the feel you were talking about, what do you think?

Hydra:
I do all that, except my drums are programmed, am I The Hydra?

And thanks alot for the good criticism!

Yeah I reckon you might be right, perhaps it is more a dynamics thing than structure. Dude go for it give it a try and do what you think is best, at the end of the day it's your song and that's the toughest thing to remember when you put it out there for criticism, especially in front of a bunch of guitarists like us :P