Page 1 of 2
hi pit

I was wondering if anyone could explain to me why air over hot objects seems to look 'floaty' and distorted is there a name for this?

thx
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Yamaha self customized EG012
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
(I think) its because its has a higher carbon content? But don't quote me on it.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ProphetToJables
(I think) its because its has a higher carbon content? But don't quote me on it.

I believe the scientific terminology is "floaty air".
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
I thought the term was heatwave?

Apparently not, I always thought the heatwave was the prolonged period of hot weather as well as the wave above heat.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
I thought the term was heatwave?

no, a heat wave is about weather, or a layman's term... it's refraction.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
The technical term is : Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Refraction, since light is changing speeds it is bending. Look up mirage.
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
I'm sure its just that the ground is hot and then the little heat particles go like "Man, **** this shit!" and then they leave this dimension via lots of small portals that we, humans, see as wavy air.
br00talz air distortion.
Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Yeah, I use a Squier Strat.
anybody wanna make an aircore band?

we'll use lots of refraction shit
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by Kumanji
That's heat haze. Turbulence when the air heated up by a hot object rises upwards and meets the cooler air around it.

Very good, but turbulence is a result of convection. Not sure if that's what you meant, but if you did, good work!

Heat haze is caused by the refraction of light as it passes through zones of different air temperatures.

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through two different media with different refractive indexes.

These refractive indexes are a function of temperature.

Now, air near hot objects is heated and mixes with cold air through convection, etc. This gives rise to turbulence - gas currents moving in varying directions at various speeds.

As light passes through these turbulent regions, it is refracted, and due to the changing and unsteady nature of turbulence, it appears to be refracted in an unsteady and turbulent way. This is the phenomena you observe as heat haze.
Last edited by LordBishek at May 25, 2011,
it be demons, mah boi.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
rebellious gravity
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
thats just persons bad breath you see

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Quote by LordBishek
Very good, but turbulence is a result of convection. Not sure if that's what you meant, but if you did, good work!

Heat haze is caused by the refraction of light as it passes through zones of different air temperatures.

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through two different media with different refractive indexes.

Now, air near hot objects is heated and mixes with cold air through convection, etc. This gives rise to turbulence - gas currents moving in varying directions at various speeds.

As light passes through these turbulent regions, it is refracted, and due to the changing and unsteady nature of turbulence, it appears to be refracted in an unsteady and turbulent way. This is the phenomena you observe as heat haze.

This virgin knows what he is talking about.
Quote by DecaPodge
br00talz air distortion.

Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by Doobergn

Like you'd know anything about sex. Your penis has a steering wheel, four wheels and a gas mileage of about 17mpg.

The thing I don't understand is this - you keep whining about being "too cool" to "read whole threads" and taking every opportunity to try to convince me about your awesome life, yet you seem to devote a disproportionate time to try to annoy me.

If you really had an awesome life, why are you sat on the net trying to annoy me? I don't follow your threads and then see your post and think "I'll make fun of him! This will be so cool!" - frankly, I really do have better things to do. If you have such an awesome life - then why don't you?

Now fuck off and stop trying to annoy me. This was funny initially, it was like being chased by a dog with downs syndrome. But the more and more you try to follow me around, the more annoying you are. Stop trying to troll me. I can't make this any clearer - go live your awesome life, fuck off, and leave me alone.
Quote by Doobergn

You're a twat.

Anyway, Bishek wins this thread.
- - - - - - - -
When I think of the perpetual journey through life
When it always feels like autumn
The wind moves slowly to the north
And the flowers die
Rain falls in my dreams

- - - - - - - -
Hot air is similar to a fluid in the sense that it will have a different specific weight when heated. The rippling is yhe cooler air replacing the the heated air on the surface that is heated.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by laid-to-waste
anybody wanna make an aircore band?

we'll use lots of refraction shit

I'm so down for this.
Fucking magic, mate.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
Quote by G.Krizzel
I think it has something to do with you not knowing how to use google.

up yours
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Yamaha self customized EG012
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
Quote by LordBishek

Yay, now I don't have to write it out Physics ftw!
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

It's not air. That's the new Marshall MG. It's got crushing air distortion. It's only $700 for the 50 watt halfstack, but it's all Marshall. Just like an MG.

On topic, I watched it all day yesterday. I started wondering that. Shit gets boring when you're planting beans at 7 mph in a field allllllll day.

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
Quote by Dirge Humani
The only thing Ash forgot is the reason hot air and cold air have different refractive indices is that hot air is less dense.

No, I didn't, but good work on catching it - I said proportional to temperature for a reason.

The reason is thus: you are technically right, refractive index is proportional to density.

Density is also proportional to temperature, but this is small compared to the contribution from the pressure and the gas constant

Specifically:

rho = P / (RT)

rho=density
P=Pressure
R=Gas Constant
T= Temperature.

However, the magnitude of density is ~ 1. Whereas the magnitude of the pressure is ~100,000. So the density is inversely proportional to temperature by a ratio of about 300

So changes of a few degrees result in very, very small density changes - in fact, air is assumed to be a generally incompressible fluid up to a Mach number of 0.3 - itself a function of temperature.

BUT

Refractive index is proportional to the wavelength, wavespeed and temperature

n=c*T/lambda

Where

n=refractive index
c=wave speed
lambda=wave length

Now, for visibile length,

c= 3* 10^8
lambda= 400 to about 700 nm = 4*10^-7 to about 7*10^-7

rewrite

n ~ (c/lambda) T

but c/lambda ~ 10^14

Contrast that to the mere 300 for the density/temperature relation, and it's clear that temperature affects refractive MUCH more than density.

Quote by Kivarenn82
Hot air is similar to a fluid in the sense that it will have a different specific weight when heated. The rippling is yhe cooler air replacing the the heated air on the surface that is heated.

Specific weight? Do you mean specific gravity?

Cos weight = m*g and specific means per unit mass, so specific weight is m/m * g = g

Which is gravitational acceleration
Quote by LordBishek

Like you'd know anything about sex. Your penis has a steering wheel, four wheels and a gas mileage of about 17mpg.

The thing I don't understand is this - you keep whining about being "too cool" to "read whole threads" and taking every opportunity to try to convince me about your awesome life, yet you seem to devote a disproportionate time to try to annoy me.

If you really had an awesome life, why are you sat on the net trying to annoy me? I don't follow your threads and then see your post and think "I'll make fun of him! This will be so cool!" - frankly, I really do have better things to do. If you have such an awesome life - then why don't you?

Now fuck off and stop trying to annoy me. This was funny initially, it was like being chased by a dog with downs syndrome. But the more and more you try to follow me around, the more annoying you are. Stop trying to troll me. I can't make this any clearer - go live your awesome life, fuck off, and leave me alone.

Ash-1
That other guy- 0
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by LordBishek
No, I didn't, but good work on catching it - I said proportional to temperature for a reason.

The reason is thus: you are technically right, refractive index is proportional to density.

Density is also proportional to temperature, but this is small compared to the contribution from the pressure and the gas constant

Specifically:

mathmathmathmath

I don't get paid to read, man >_< I just skimmed through everything and didn't see temperature or density
Quote by Dirge Humani
I don't get paid to read, man >_< I just skimmed through everything and didn't see temperature or density

Oh Tyler
Page 1 of 2