Hey guys, Im looking to get a new bass guitar for the summer and would appreciate some input on the Sterling Ray 34 by Ernie Ball.

I know reviews are very favourable on this site but I wanted input from everybody.

Im an intermediate bassist, playing for about 3 years, and this is my second bass next to the Ibanez GSR200

Is it good a good value for what I spend on it or should I check out some other basses when I go to Long and Mcquade tonight?

All suggestions are welcome
Haven't looked at the prices much for overseas but over here at the moment the price difference between a new Ray and an actual used Stringray make the Sterling series pretty pointless unless you're one of those "MUST BUY NEW" kinda guys.
Aside from that they're supposed to be very similar to their bigger brothers. As for any other suggestions, play everything you can get your mits on and decide what you like the best.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Hey! I had the same consideration as you did! For me it was either this Ernie Ball Ray 34 (or 35, for that matter) or a Fender.
I can tell you one thing: I didn't like the Ray at all... There's only one pick-up in the back, which does put out a ton of sound, but it's positioned too close to the bridge. The EQ on that thing rocks, so I was able to get some usable sound out of it but I also didn't like the feel of the neck, so to hell with that thing. You really should try it yourself!
For me, I took a passive Highway One P-bass and fell in love immediately. No actives for me, just a plain P-bass does the job just fine.
My thought. It's too heavy and I loathe active basses. I also think of it as a 1 trick pony compared to the versatile jazz configuration.

But that's my opinion
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Quote by consecutive e
Haven't looked at the prices much for overseas but over here at the moment the price difference between a new Ray and an actual used Stringray make the Sterling series pretty pointless unless you're one of those "MUST BUY NEW" kinda guys.

Here (at least in the US, I assume Canada's prices on these are pretty similar) the Rays are only in the $600-$700 range depending on which model you get. Pretty good when new MM's start at $1400.

TS, the Ray34 is a pretty good bass, and is the best new bass for getting the Stingray tone and feel on a budget. That being said, keep your eyes peeled for a used Music Man SUB, they're a line of discontinued, US-made, stripped down Stingrays that crop up on the used market for less then what the Ray sells for new. Or if you can wait, you can always save up a few hundred more dollars and you'd have enough for a used Stingray.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I did say USED actual Stringray.

I keep forgetting about SUBs even though I want one. Get a SUB if you can't save the extra for a real 'ray.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
I did say USED actual Stringray.

Ahhh, well a used Stingray is still floating around $900 - $1000 give or take. I'd say $300 -$400 is a justifiable difference. Its totally worth saving up for the Stinger but if TS's budget absolutely caps at the price of a Ray34, its not like he's getting a bad deal.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I tried out the Sterling Ray 34 at Long and McQuade today and couldn't be happier with the tone it produced as well as the feel of the instrument. I tried out the Stingray but for whatever reason it didn't do it for me.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for the SUB and a cheap used Stingray.

Thanks for all the input guys, very helpful
[Insert something clever here]