i wanna order a music theory book and i don't know which to get.

all the books i've found are only about how to read music (which i learned in choir). i want one that goes a little more in depth about the practical uses. any suggestions?
I'd suggest Music Theory for Dummies. The title may sound somewhat belittling, but it's a helpful book.

I'm honestly not very dedicated, so it hasn't done me a whole lot of good, but it's still helped me pick up quite a few basic concepts.

There are also some typos here and there which are quite annoying (the first fret of the top E string is an E? Whaaaaaat?), but other than that, it seems to be a helpful and highly recommended book.
My suggestion would be to take advantage of the internet, not order a book, because then you have a wider base to teach yourself from. Saves you the money you would spend on a book to.

This site is pretty interactive, it breaks down its lessons and explains things very well. Its even got some exercises you can practice.

musictheory.net

If you want to tie chords, scales and progressions more to the fretboard, take what you learn there and jump over to this site. It will help you visually apply what you learned previously

all-guitar-chords.com

Hope this helps man, my apologies if you have your head set on a book
Quote by Zeppelin Addict
My suggestion would be to take advantage of the internet, not order a book, because then you have a wider base to teach yourself from. Saves you the money you would spend on a book to.

This site is pretty interactive, it breaks down its lessons and explains things very well. Its even got some exercises you can practice.

musictheory.net

If you want to tie chords, scales and progressions more to the fretboard, take what you learn there and jump over to this site. It will help you visually apply what you learned previously

all-guitar-chords.com

Hope this helps man, my apologies if you have your head set on a book

I was thinking of making a similar thread to this because i want something theory based to read while im traveling for the next 3 months and internetting will be a challenge. So hypothetically?
haha man to be honest if i were travelling, i'd bring a good novel, not a theory book, that's not going to help you unless your also carrying an instrument with you. where are you travelling?
im off to the states and ill have a cheap acoustic so that i can jam with my friends who live over there anyway
There are two really good publishers I would recommend to order from. Hal Leonard and Berklee Press. These two publishers make quality books and I personally use them. There are many different kinds of theory you can also look into. There's basic, jazz, blues, chords ect. Its best to understand chords and scales before you move on to the jazz stuff.
Amon Amarth to Frank Zappa
and everything in between.

The A-Z's of music.
Guitar Grimoires 1,2, and 15. Perfect reference tools for Scales, Chords, and Progressions.

That and "The Elements of Music: Melody, Rhythm, and Harmony" by Jason Martineau. This is honestly the greatest map of music theory around. Far better than Music Theory for Dummies (which I own) and most other bullshit publications.
My Equipment:
Ibanez XPT700
Ibanez A200E
Peavey Vypyr 60 w/Sanpera II
Morpheus Droptune

Tonal Harmony - sixth edition McGraw Hill publishing.

I own a few books and this one, by far, is the best.
My Gear:
JacksonStars KE TN-02
Jackson DK2M
Jackson WRXT
Jackson KSXT
Jackson DXMG
Jackson 7 String soloist

Ovation Celeberity
Personally, I'd recommend "Music Theory for Guitarists" from Hal Leonard, but I'm not sure if it's too basic for someone who already knows how to read music. I found it really useful.

I also recommend "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Composition", and "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Solos and Improvisation". I still refer to those when I'm writing.
thanx guys, i'll check out those websites and look into some of those books

oh and the reason i'd like a book is because i don't have the internet at my house (where my guitar/piano is).
I studied from Alfreds Essentials Music theory
http://www.alfred.com/Products/Essentials-of-Music-Theory-Complete--00-17234.aspx
I believe it's this one.
At first it begins with Clef reading and stuff like that but then moves onto better stuff.
Hope I helped!

Edit

Quote by seymour_jackson
Tonal Harmony - sixth edition McGraw Hill publishing.

I own a few books and this one, by far, is the best.

This one is good too.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Last edited by Metallicuh at May 26, 2011,