I sold my amp to help pay for my new one but feel like I might need a backup one if I needed to service my main one or something went wrong.

Its either:

An amp cover for my orange rocker 30 combo

or another Laney I had a few days ago for a backup amp.

I don't know what to do?

Thanks
a cover.

Save the cash for the bets you place on yourself for having the only kick-ass amp at the whole gig!

=)
A backup is kind of unnecessary unless you're gigging quite regularly, and in that situation (and from what I recall of the host of problems you had with your Laney) I'd probably pick up something else instead. Maybe a different model of AOR or a different brand entirely.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Thanks, a cover it is!

The guy who bought my amp said the pre amp tubes were tired and the reverb was wired up wrong. I took it to an amp tech 2times and didn't even spot those MINOR faults. Rubbish.
A backup amp is always worth having even if it's just to have there for guests to use. That's why I have the JCM900. It may not be anywhere near as good as my main amp but if somebody walks in with an MG or a Valvestate I have something better for them to use so I don't have to torture my ears too badly. It is ample as a backup too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I would definitely have a backup amp. It shouldn't really be a choice between a cover and an amp, anyway.
You know, unless you gig regularly, surely you can consider one of them Pods plugged direct into a PA as a backup?

Most of the time, the audience can't tell the difference between a tube amp and a Pod. You'd need an experience guitarist (or sound engineer or mixer) to be listening out for the difference to spot it. However, if they are paying that much attention to your tone, you know they're not there for the music.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
i used to worry about that but i bought a multi fx pedal (zoom g2nu). i can just plug in directly with headphones and it sounds awesome
I never had a backup until I bought a second amp. And now I have 4 back up amps

Quote by ragingkitty
You know, unless you gig regularly, surely you can consider one of them Pods plugged direct into a PA as a backup?

Most of the time, the audience can't tell the difference between a tube amp and a Pod. You'd need an experience guitarist (or sound engineer or mixer) to be listening out for the difference to spot it. However, if they are paying that much attention to your tone, you know they're not there for the music.

In my experience (granted I can tell the difference between a Spider and a nice tube amp) it is quite noticeable...me and my other guitarist spend a few minutes before our set working out our sound everytime we play... although you are 100% correct, at the end of the day there are so many variables when playing live that just ruin tone.

The main thing people will notice is how nice your gear looks...
i dont have one atm but are planning on getting a 6260 to backup my 333xl
Sorry i'm late, but my walk has got terribly silly today
Quote by ChrisBW
I never had a backup until I bought a second amp. And now I have 4 back up amps

i raise your 4 and call 9 (or however they say it in poker )
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup

I see your 4 and raise you 9

thanks... lol
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I see both of your 9's and raise ya'll 20!

Disclaimer: in 30 years.
I don't take my back-up amp to gigs as i trust my main one. I have a Laney GH100L and as a backup i use my old Laney TF700.
I love my amps and I trust that they'll always work, but freak accidents happen so it's good to have a spare. I trust my 2203 and Bassman will last a long long time before they starts to fail, but thinking that nothing bad could possibly happen is a dangerous mindset for a gigging musician.

Part of the advantage of running a 2-amp rig live is that the second one is effectively your backup. If my JCM fails I can whack a couple pedals in front of the Bassman and get close enough to my dirty tone. If my Bassman fails I just suck it up and clean up the JCM as much as I can.
Last edited by Seref at May 25, 2011,
I don't bring a backup to my shows but if you have the extra funds then maybe it's a good idea. Most places that I've played have backup amps if you need em however.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Yarp. My Vypyr is my practice/backup amp.

I think modeling amps are the best kind of backup amps. You never know when you'll need them, or for what, so having a decent sounding modeler will most likely save your ass in any given situation.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I often use a two-amp rig with an ABY box, so there is built-in redundancy. If one amp fails I can continue with just the other one. But I've never had an amp fail at a gig. Not since I've been using BC Audio amps, anyway...
Bruce Clement
BC Audio Hand Crafted Performance
From when I used to help friend's bands...

A back up amp is a really good thing if it actually backs up your tone, not just the need for amplification.

I know of more than guitarist who thought to bring his back up and have to use it only to figure out that he couldn't get the tone he wanted from it... After the sound check, a couple of them just said to hell with it, started getting drunk, and played a crappy show.

One guy I knew used to play SF Twins exclusively and took three on tour with him. I think he might have alternated shows with the first two and kept the third in the van. Granted he'd been in the gigging business for a few years...
Quote by Offworld92
Yarp. My Vypyr is my practice/backup amp.

I think modeling amps are the best kind of backup amps. You never know when you'll need them, or for what, so having a decent sounding modeler will most likely save your ass in any given situation.

I wish my Vypyr was the 75watt...
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
I have an Axe-Fx as my main amp, but I guess whether or not my Single Rec is a backup depends on what I'm playing. If I'm doing a straight up metal show with no fancy effects, I'll probably have the Axe as the backup. But if I'm doing something using a complicated chain and a load of amps and effects that I don't actually own, then the Recto becomes the backup.
Quote by darkwolf291
I see your 4 and raise you 9

Technically you should just say "raise" or "raise 9".

The first action you speak is the action you take (the calling of the current bet) so saying it that way (two actions) might piss off some dealers or players in a live situation if you're at a poker room and not just doing a home game.

Bottom line - one action per sentence. It's a good habit to get into.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at May 26, 2011,
I technically only have one amplifier suitable for gigging (my VK), but the amp I used to use (Flextone II 75watt 1x12) is still lying around even though it is technically my dads. So yes I have a backup but I wouldn't want to use it unless I absolutely had to as the quality in tone from my Peavey to my Line 6 is pretty large.