Hello UG acoustic!

the father of a friend of mine once got a guitar as a gift. Nobody in his family plays guitar, or even knows how to properly hold one. It's collecting dust in my friend's chamber, and the last time it was ever played, was when I gave it a gentle strum, just for the hell of it.

Now my friend offered me to buy it from them. It is in a not so good state, but it is not too late to save it. I think I can get it for about 50-100 euro's actually. So it's really cheap but it might require some work.

It is a Bloomfield BL208 guitar, looks a bit like this:

So, acoustixperts: What do I need to do to save the guitar if I buy it? I'll need some new strings, that's for sure. But what else do I need to do to it? It sounds fine to me, but I dont know what other kind of work I might be looking at?
Quote by poopsmith666
thats pretty epic actually.

-Cheap classical guitar
-Cheap western
-Ibanez GRX70 jumpstart package
-Shine bass + Eden Nemesis en8jr 25W
Is the neck straight? and is the body in good condition (i.e. not warped, cracked)?

If ^^^ are good then it may (without knowing more details) just need a cleanup and some strings... maybe some tuners unless they are working well? I don't know much about Bloomfield guitars though... first I had actually heard of them....
Quote by swilcox26
Is the neck straight? and is the body in good condition (i.e. not warped, cracked)?

If ^^^ are good then it may (without knowing more details) just need a cleanup and some strings... maybe some tuners unless they are working well? I don't know much about Bloomfield guitars though... first I had actually heard of them....

If I recall correctly, the body is uncracked and everything seemed to be straight.

What do I use to clean it up? Special kind of oil, water, (damp) microfibre cloth, soap, flamethrowers, sponge, gasoline...?
Quote by poopsmith666
thats pretty epic actually.

-Cheap classical guitar
-Cheap western
-Ibanez GRX70 jumpstart package
-Shine bass + Eden Nemesis en8jr 25W
Not much on the web... A couple of question sites from the Netherlands if you read Dutch....
A couple of inquiries similar to yours. You'll likely have to judge the instrument on it's merits.
Quote by yottaMax
If I recall correctly, the body is uncracked and everything seemed to be straight.

What do I use to clean it up? Special kind of oil, water, (damp) microfibre cloth, soap, flamethrowers, sponge, gasoline...?

Just search for "how to clean an acoustic guitar" and start reading. You can order cloths, polishes, etc... online.

Good Luck, hopefully it works out.
Put a post and pic over at Vintaxe Forums under the European Unknowns. They may be able to help.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Last edited by Auriemma at May 26, 2011,