That's pretty cool man!
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
Quote by RockGuitarist09
Dude you should put up a diy video showing us how to do this, its awesome

The supporting circuit is actually fairly involved - I made a pcb with tiny surface mount components on it ...it had to to be this way so I could fit everything on the pcb and still have it fit under the rear humbucker.

Additionally, the circuit uses a PIC microprocessor...which might seem overkill, but going this way allows very precise & careful power management (for example it detects when the guitar isn't being played & then switches sitself off automatically etc), a PIC means no need for power inline switch (when not needed, the PIC shuts down the power to the circuit & then goes off to sleep....the battery last years while it's asleep. Using a PIC also means I can use one tiny momentary tactile switch for everything.

Finally, using a PIC means I can elimate LEDs pops & clicks by careful management of how the LEDS turn on/off....so probably not one for the casual DIY'er!
Last edited by HankMcSpank at May 25, 2011,
Just got around to photographing the board...

...you can now see what I mean - not a simple job!
Pretty much anyone could put flashing lights in a humbucker.......but this is level of workmanship and efficiency is just awe inspiring
i should put a micro-controller in my guitar that flashes different colors depending on the note it hears.
Quote by Pakman43
i should put a micro-controller in my guitar that flashes different colors depending on the note it hears.

Well if you look at that PCB...it's already rammed ..to have all colours availabe requires RGB LEDs ...so would need an extra two legs on each LED - it can be done, but man, that'd be small (& two sided PCB)
That's a really neat mod. Will you be putting up a tutorial?
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by mtshark
That's a really neat mod. Will you be putting up a tutorial?

The PCB is way too complicated for most to make (you need access to some fairly specialized tools).

It's not completely finished...I'm working on the next version which won't even need a hardware switch (just touch say a scratchplate screw & bing....leds come on)

As it goes I've just lost my job in IT, so am exploring this whole area with a view to raising some dosh & thereby keeping my kids in Nike trainers.
Last edited by HankMcSpank at May 28, 2011,
I finally got around to sorting out the discreet 'touch sensor' switching arrangement for my recessed 'under humbucker' leds. (which means no switch needed ...which means no drilling my RG!)....

http://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarLE.../0/h4mxF6dpT1s

...alas for my RG's humbucker recess, there's insufficient space around the board to do 'sound to light' (the pcb board has to be cut like an 'O' to make way for the RG's 'island of wood' immediately under the humbucker...this results in a significant loss of pcb real estate such that I can't cram enough components on to do sound to light - hey ho!

(Installation video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkdYWeqs6Tg )
Last edited by HankMcSpank at Oct 2, 2011,