I've had my Fender Stratocaster since June. A lot of the time I've kept the trem bar in the gig bag, because I have no idea how to use it. Not in the sense that I don't know to push down after screwing it in, but what the hell do I do with a vintage-style trem? I've tried to use it here and there in the same way I'd use some string-bending vibrato, but it's impossible for me to get the bar up that fast and still pick without having my next notes be out of tune. I've tried watching some of Hendrix's stuff, but it just seems to be divebombs that break up into feedback (which is his thing, but not what I was looking for).

Is part of the problem that my term doesn't hang right? In pictures, both of actual Strats and other tremolos, the bar seems to stop right around the volume knobs instead of falling all the way down. Mine, when screwed in all the way, stops a little past the jack, so when I let it hang it ends up resting on the cable itself. Is that normal?
more or less, yes. if you want it to hang closer to your hand, wrap the threads with teflon tape. this will give a tighter fit so it wont move around as freely and will stay in position.

secondarily, you can only lower the pitch with it. it doesnt pull up.
Best uses I've heard for it are those surfer-style sounds where you vibrato a chord. Other than that, it's good for divebombs and such. I don't use mine I just tighten the springs a lot so I get max sustain
Quote by horser4dish
Is part of the problem that my term doesn't hang right? In pictures, both of actual Strats and other tremolos, the bar seems to stop right around the volume knobs instead of falling all the way down. Mine, when screwed in all the way, stops a little past the jack, so when I let it hang it ends up resting on the cable itself. Is that normal?

It is normal, however, that does not mean that it isn't a problem. It's just one of those things that happens.

+1 to the "wrap the tremolo bar threads with tape" guy.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
well first you have to learn to hold it with differnt fingers to get the most out of it. use your 4th and pinky and leave the rest for your normal picking. takes some time and practice but you will get more use from the bar. watch recent jeff beck vids for tips from a true master. hammer-ons and pull-offs are also a good way to get the notes and use the bar at the same time. just work on hiting the notes cleanly and working the bar at the same time (no picking needed).