I bought this Kay Vanguard Vibrato 704 amp at a garage sale for $15, it sounds good when the volume is at between 1-4 but after that it distorts really bad. I'm needing to know if this is normal or if there is something wrong with the amp. I am playin' on a Fender Mex. Strat through it. At volume 1-4 the vibrato sounds amazing, and I would like to clean it up and keep it. At first I thought it might have been my guitar but I plugged back in to my Teisco Checkmate 22 and it was as clean as can be. I'm not very knowledgeable about teching and I could really use some advice.
The amp may need servicing, or just a fresh set of tubes. Or it may just not be voiced in such a way that it distorts nicely. I'm not familiar with the circuit of that amp, but there are preamp designs used in the '50s and later that do not lend themselves to being overdriven.
Bruce Clement
BC Audio Hand Crafted Performance
Problem is its not a tube amp its all circuit. I thought that it might have been something wrong with the pots but Im not sure.
My bad. In that case I certainly would not expect it to have good sounding distortion.
Bruce Clement
BC Audio Hand Crafted Performance