Sorry if there is already a thread for this, but I couldn't really find anything asking the question I need answered. I have an ESP/LTD MH-400 (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH400-Electric-Guitar?sku=516684) With the 81/85 EMG combo. This is a stupid question I know but I'm a new guitarist still. Whats the best height to set my pickups? How close should the neck and bridge pickups be to the strings themselves? I greatly appreciate the help folks..

And side question, I have an Ibanez RG420, which has I think just normal open coil humbucker pickups, and I'd like to know the same thing about which height to adjust them to. I don't know if it matters, but I like playing really bluesy stuff on both guitars, but have a deep love for death metal and all its chugs and squeals that go along with that. So what height should I adjust them to?

Thanks again.
Dylan.
Both pickups should be as close to the strings as possible, as active pickups don't have such a powerful magnet.

What I do is set them really close to the strings, then fret the highest fret, and if the string touches the pickups, lower each until they don't touch.

hope this helped.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
no problem man.

But be sure not to do the same thing with your ibanez, which i'm sure has passives. The magnet is more powerful, meaning they would have to be adjusted lower.
Its more of a preference type deal. if they're too close, you'll have more chance the string will be pulled out of tune. if they're too low, you'll lose sustain and gain.
you might wanna meet in between, and have solid gain with no loss in sustain.

Id say set between 1/8” and 1/16” from the strings (when they are pressed down at the highest fret on the neck)
Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 at May 25, 2011,
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Both pickups should be as close to the strings as possible, as active pickups don't have such a powerful magnet.

What I do is set them really close to the strings, then fret the highest fret, and if the string touches the pickups, lower each until they don't touch.

hope this helped.

Not true. I don't mean to piss on your bonfire Chaz...

You don't want the pickups to be too close to the strings or else you will get a muddy tone. The reason why you can adjust the height of the pickups is so the volume of each pickup is the same. The signal going to the neck pickup is stronger since the string vibrates more in that area, that pickup is lowered to compensate for the fact that the signal going to the bridge pickup is weaker as there is less vibration in that area.

There is no rule as to how you set up the pickup height. But generally the reason why the neck pickup is lower is for the above reason. Play with the adjustment screws, TS. You want a tone that is clean, but doesn't fade out too quickly as the magnetic pull of the pickups being too close to the strings can reduce sustain. You also want each pickup to be the same volume as one another.

Also, the fact that active pickups use weaker magnets doesn't mean you should raise the pickup height. Reason being is that the signal is boosted anyway when the signal leaves the pickups. If anything, the signal is stronger most of the time compared to most passives.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 25, 2011,
^ got this straight from the EMG site. I do this and everything sounds great.
The pickups actually start sounding muddy when lowered too much.

Quote by EMGPICKUPS.COM
EMG Active Pickups have very little magnetism compared to
passive pickups. We recommend you adjust the pickups as
close to the strings as possible. Sustain and string movement
will not be inhibited by close adjustment.

though I agree with you that there's no rule set in stone. And TS should play around with the adjustments. I mean, just cause I like the pups real close doesn't mean another guitar player is gonna like it the same way.
Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 at May 25, 2011,
Put it at the height that sounds best to you

But the bridge should be higher than the neck, unless you prefer it the other way around.
Oh well. I tried. I thought it would make sense to not have the pickups being too close to the strings. Especially on passive pickups, since the magnets being too close to the strings would deaden sustain. But nevermind
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
closer to the strings = brightness and clarity

further from the strings = muddy and smooth

find somehwere inbetween that u like
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED