Hello!
I've been playing on a crap guitar in the last year and I'm considering buying a new one.
My budget is around $500 and I have to decide between these two guitars:
-epiphone les paul standard
-fender standard stratocaster

Mainly, I'm gonna play:
Led Zeppelin (les paul)
Guns n Roses (les paul)
Red Hot Chili Peppers (strat)
Pink Floyd (strat)
Jimi Hendrix (strat again... duuh!)
+some clean stuff like folk, fingerstyle etc. (don't know which one suits better)

I played both les pauls and strats and both feel comfortable in my hands.
My problem is the sound. As you can see, I want my new guitar to be rather versatile.
I've seen plenty of people brilliantly covering Zeppelin with stratocasters or Pink Floyd with les pauls so I guess it's personal preferance after all.

Still... which one do you recommend? and why?
if you want a little added versatility, I would check out a schecter C1 standard. its pretty well rounded, like a strat or an LP, but it features coil splitting for the pickups meaning you'll have the humbucker tones and an approximation of single coil tones

otherwise, I would look at either an HSS strat or a humbucker loaded telecaster (Izzy from GNR used one, Stairway was recorded on a regular tele)

just remember, the amp is going to get you alot closer to a particular sound that a guitar will
Choose neither. Go for Fender Blacktop strat. A strat doesn't get more versatile than that. It contains two humbuckers and a coil tap option so you can also get some kind of single coil sounds out of it. It's MIM so it's only about $500. It's kinda like if strat and les paul had a love child. It sure looks like that tho.
ok...well i'm guessing you don't need the obvious 'the fender has a more trebly sound, and the epiphone would have more rounded tone'.....cos thats pretty obvious.

personally i like very similar bands like G'N'R and RHCP and i currently play an epi sg. but my friend had a similar dilema as well and he bought a strat with a view of saving up for a gibson les paul in the next couple of years. Are you thinking of buying a mexican or an american strat?
It comes down to personal taste. Swapping the pickups on an Epi LP opens a world of possibilities to you - but adding a Lace to a Strat might allow you to pull off sounds you'd otherwise not be able to. They're both very versatile guitars, but with a very characteristic sound to them.

It boils down to preference: a Les Paul will typically sound beefier, pack some punch, give you warmth in the cleans and tame high gain the way you'd expect it to. The Strat will be able to give you a bit of warmth out of the neck pickup, but tends to sound more "plucky", and will tend to roughen up distortion the higher it goes. Both have terribly sexy lead tones.

I personally recommend Les Pauls - I got my Epi a couple of SDs and got the tone I was looking for (beautiful, warm, jazzy cleans and a crunchy bridge pup), and it just feels right for me. Shredding might be easier on a Strat, but you don't seem to be aiming for that. I'd suggest you to think about your own tone this time: you know what you want to play, and you know both guitars. The question boils down to: what do you want your guitar to sound like?
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Last edited by Garci at May 25, 2011,
i'd go for a les paul style epiphone with this.
with some tweaking on my amp i can still get brighter sounds while playing my les paul. i find it harder to get the warmer tone with my san dimas(stratocaster style) and this already has humbuckers so considering strats have bright single coils.

do ask yourself the question,
while standing up with guitar strapped on, do you find a stratocaster or a les paul to have more comfort? the strat is likely to be lighter and has the belly cut also higher frets might be easier to acces, however i find my les paul just as easy to reach for the 22th fret. and personally i like the squarish edge of my les paul more than the belly cut and elbow cut on my charvel.
Last edited by wolvenrick at May 25, 2011,
Quote by Garci
It comes down to personal taste. Swapping the pickups on an Epi LP opens a world of possibilities to you - but adding a Lace to a Strat might allow you to pull off sounds you'd otherwise not be able to. They're both very versatile guitars, but with a very characteristic sound to them.

It boils down to preference: a Les Paul will typically sound beefier, pack some punch, give you warmth in the cleans and crunch and tame distortion the way you'd expect it to. The Strat will be able to give you some warmth out of the neck pickup, tends to sound more "plucky", and will roughen up that distortion more into the punk level the higher it goes, whilst having sexy leads on the neck.

I personally recommend Les Pauls - I got my Epi a couple of SDs and got the tone I was looking for (beautiful, warm, jazzy cleans and a crunchy bridge pup), and it just feels right for me. Shredding might be easier on a Strat, but you don't seem to be aiming for that. I'd suggest you to think about your own tone this time: you know what you want to play, and you know both guitars. The question boils down to: what do you want your guitar to sound like?

exactly!!!!
i did the same with my epi sg.......only changed one of the pickups though. you are right though-it opens up a range of options for sound. do you also write your own stuff?

in which case, what style is that because that should also be taken in to consideration.
Quote by rox355
Maybe a hss strat might be what your looking for.

+1 A Fat strat would meet the needs of the TS better than a LP or SSS Strat
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Goto the store. Play both guitars. Whichever feels best, buy.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
Goto the store. Play both guitars. Whichever feels best, buy.

better yet: go to store, play both, ask for more options
Quote by krehzeekid
better yet: go to store, play both, ask for more options

This.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER