I've got a valve king 112 combo and I'm feeling like the distortion/overdrive is lacking for high gain music. The thing is, i absolutely love the overdrive for stuff like AC/DC or Zeppelin, but I'm not getting enough for heavier music like Metallica or Megadeth.

What pedals would be nice to overdrive those tubes and get a real screaming metal sound? I'm not really looking for a distortion pedal, seeing as i already have the EHX metal muff (which is great.) I just want to be able to play heavier music without using a pedal to replace my gain channel. I've heard the bad monkey does a great job of overdriving the amp, with the gain at zero and the level at 10. But the sound clips i've heard from digitech's site- it seems to me like the bad monkey pedal is more for blues?
anyway.

hope you have some suggestions, thanks.
-Gibson SG special - faded brown
-ESP LTD MH400NT w/ EMG 81 - 85
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
Pretty much all of the good overdrive pedals you can buy sound bluesy on their own. But you don't use them for distortion, you're using them to crank up your signal level so it hits the tubes and makes them explode with distortion. (Figuratively of course. If they actually explode you'll want to tone it down a bit.) You aren't really going to be able to use sound clips to figure out which one you want, because it has more to do with the amp than the pedal itself. Just get one with a lot of good reviews that you think sounds like it will work for your purposes. Oh, and try to find one with true-bypass, so it doesn't kill your tone when you want to turn it off.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

...Not getting enough? The valveking has ridiculous amounts of gain on tap. I sold it because I couldn't get a clean enough overdrive. With the gain boost you should easily get all of the gain you'll ever need.

If not however, you can use something like a bad monkey to boost the already hot distortion channel. The clips are probably the pedal boosting a clean amp but it can really make a distorted amp roar.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
ehx lpb-1

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
You were right about the Bad Monkey, or indeed any overdrive pedal, being used as a boost. It tightens your sound up, and makes it sound better for heavier music.

However, as any other Valveking owner will tell you, the stock speaker is horrible. Swap it out for something like a Celestion, or Eminence, and you will notice just how awful it is.

Others may recommend a tube swap, but I've not really seen the need to swap.

What I'd say, is get an OD pedal to tighten it up, swap the speaker out, perhaps purchase an MXR 10 band or 6 band and put it in the loop.
Yeah I've heard lots of people talking about swapping out the speaker, I'll probably end up doing that down the road, but not now. So the trick is using the overdrive pedal to push the amp so that its overdriven more? Wouldnt you just need some type of boosting pedal or something then?
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
Yeah, basically. You can use an overdrive pedal on its own, with the clean channel, but that wouldn't achieve the sound you're looking for. Set the gain to 0 and the level to 10, so it will tighten up the sound.
I have a lot of experience with the VK. I just recently sold mine.

An OD in front + an EQ in the loop = instant modern tone. I personally used an Ibanez TS7, and a Boss GE7.

The Digitech Bad Monkey also works really well, and would probably be better for you. The TS7 has a little more gain, and you probably don't want as modern of a sound as I was using.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I have a lot of experience with the VK. I just recently sold mine.

An OD in front + an EQ in the loop = instant modern tone. I personally used an Ibanez TS7, and a Boss GE7.

The Digitech Bad Monkey also works really well, and would probably be better for you. The TS7 has a little more gain, and you probably don't want as modern of a sound as I was using.

Modern sound like what bands?

I'm looking for versatility really, I play lots of different types of music.
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
Quote by W METALLICA W
Modern sound like what bands?

I'm looking for versatility really, I play lots of different types of music.

like, post 2000 metalcore modern.

You can get a more classic sound though by adjusting the EQ differently.

If you're going for like 80's metal, you might not even need an OD at all with that amp, just an EQ to shape up your tone.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The VK is like a very thick, dark JCM 800, which is why boosts that add treble and cut bass work so well with it.

For vintage crunch, overdriving the clean channel by diming it worked great when I owned the head.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
turn the texture knob to class a/b, use the gain boost. they have plenty of gain for this. emgs will help
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Yeah the guitar I use for heavier music has EMG 81-85 actives.

I'll try the dummy jack thing as well, it can't hurt.

From what I'm seeing it looks like an OD pedal in front of the gain channel would do the trick. So that begs the question- which OD pedal?
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
There are little mods you can do to it to clean up the sound without having to buy a bunch of shit. Honestly its just a matter of tweaking the settings till you get where you want, I can get a damn good djent tone out of mine without a problem. Just play with the EQ a bit.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Make sure that you've got your VK set to class A/B when trying to get a thrashier tone. I use a Bad Monkey with my Valveking and it definitely gets into the modern territory. My band isn't super heavy so I achieve my sound easily. I set the gain to 8 or so then boost it with a Bad Monkey and it starts howling. Feedback is a bitch however. Also, put a patch cable through the send/receive of the effects loop to open up the sound/give it more gain.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP