can someone give me a quick summary how to equalize to get different sounds. everything i try sounds a little dull. i want to give my tone that extra kick to it.

any advice is appreciated!
Ok firstly is this the right section? I dunno

Anyway

Tone is a subjective. I can tell you what i use an whilst i love you may think its excrement.
You really have to find it yourself as its a personal thing.
Secondandly what amp are you using? An encore shitbox will not yield the best tones.
Lastly what tone are you after, which band or guitarist are you wanting to be voiced similar to? Cause i cant offer anything untill that one is answered

EDIT: do you mean eq on your amp or pedal or post recording or what?
Sorry i'm late, but my walk has got terribly silly today
Last edited by stig354 at May 25, 2011,
If you want Metal, you want to scoop your mids, so start with a smiley (high bass and treble) and adjust. For leads you generally want to boost your mids and add a little treble, so start with a shape like this ~ and adjust.
Quote by darkwolf291
Wrong.
You NEVER scoop your mids.

You can if your at home, but your right in a band you will not be heard
Sorry i'm late, but my walk has got terribly silly today
metal sounds better with mids
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by darkwolf291

You NEVER scoop your mids.

a comment has never been so wrong.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
a comment has never been so wrong.

My tone is all about mids, so its hard for me to say, but I think I see where he's coming from. If you scoop your mids in a band rehearsal or whatever, your tone will just be lost unless you turn way, way up.

But really, why would you want to scoop your mids anyway?
Quote by guy_tebache
My tone is all about mids, so its hard for me to say, but I think I see where he's coming from. If you scoop your mids in a band rehearsal or whatever, your tone will just be lost unless you turn way, way up.

But really, why would you want to scoop your mids anyway?

Cause it sounds so Br00t4lz
I'm running a fender Stagemaster HSS with a swapped out bridge HB, to a boss me-70 into an line 6 spider 75w. I'm trying to get a blues tones, but every time i try something new i play cat-and-mouse with the knobs and just can't figure it out. should i set the EQ on my amp to half and play with it on the me-70 or combine them? i can't get a full, punchy, creamy, tone. certain notes come out flat.

I'm also working on a progressive/melodic/thrash hardcore (as much as "true" metalheads might hate the term). I've heard to scoop mids, never scoop mids, i don't play gigs often so would it be different at a gig?
Talk about two ends of a spectrum... Not only that, using a multi-fx into a modeling amp?

Blues tone...

Guitar > amp

Lower the gain, use the neck pick up, roll off the volume on the guitar to 6, roll off the tone to about 6-7...

Use a lower gain type overdrive type setting on the amp.

As for the rest, I have no clue....
Quote by irnmadn88
Talk about two ends of a spectrum... Not only that, using a multi-fx into a modeling amp?

Blues tone...

Guitar > amp

Lower the gain, use the neck pick up, roll off the volume on the guitar to 6, roll off the tone to about 6-7...

Use a lower gain type overdrive type setting on the amp.

As for the rest, I have no clue....

I keep the amp on the clean channel with everything down. i model everything on the me-70
i plan on upgrading my amp soon. what would you recommend that's NOT a modeling amp?
I always go by next rules.
- don't scoop mids
- don't put too much treble on it
- use lower gain
- get the acceptable amount of volume for volume to come
+ right ratio of master and volume or what is it called on your amp
I guess that goes for a tube amp ...
"Rise and rise again until lambs become lions!"
Quote by Kalo Hanaka
No, you shouldn't pour beer on your guitar.
Last edited by msoban at May 26, 2011,
Quote by danieliwasko
I keep the amp on the clean channel with everything down. i model everything on the me-70
i plan on upgrading my amp soon. what would you recommend that's NOT a modeling amp?

How much will you have in the bank to upgrade with?

If you can, take a look at the 6505+ combo?

If you scoop your mids when playing alone, it sound fuller, like you're filling up the space. If you bump your mids up, the tone gets snarly on your ears.

For gigs, you'd want to bump your mids up, otherwise you'll end up fighting with your bassist for space in the tone spectrum, and end up getting lost in the midst. Mids help you stand out when in a band situation.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by jimihendrix6699
metal sounds better with mids

+infinity

Scooping mids sounds horrible and harsh.
A slight scoop, like B/M/T 5/4/5 is ok.
Any more, no thanks.

But loads of mids and treble on a modern sounding amp like a 6505.....say B/M/T 3/6/9......is EPIC.
There are lots of awesome blues amps out there. 18W Marshall clones, JTM45 clones (has to be played REAL loud, so band amp really), and just oh so many amps. There are several types of blues tones too, there's the brit blues sound which I prefer ( hence the two I mentioned), Beano, Gary Moore, that sorta thing. Then there's the SRV type of sound. As well as that there's the completely clean type of blues sound like BB King. Your amp is one of the last amps I'd pick for blues regardless.
When you're ready, start another thread and answer the questions here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I meant what is not a modeling amp? For instance, what makes a modeling amp a modeling amp. I have a $250-300 budget for a new amp
Quote by danieliwasko
I meant what is not a modeling amp? For instance, what makes a modeling amp a modeling amp. I have a $250-300 budget for a new amp
A modeling amp is pretty much any of the lines 6 amps as well as the Vyper's etc. They all have a ton of simulated amps, effects, cabs etc built into the amp. They are usually simulated reproductions or modeled after some of the better well known gear. It is going to be hard to get a good blues tone from a solid state amp, not impossible but hard. I think part of the flatness you are getting in your sound is the spider its self also if you are not using a real multiband eq like a boss or mxr etc. you are going to miss some of the key freqs. I ran a Flextone II for several years and never was really happy with it until I added the eq pedal.
Jackson DK2M w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez ARZ 800 w/EMG 81/60
B52 AT-100
Marshall 4x12 cab
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss DD7 Delay
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Polytune
I picked up my Haze 40 for about 399 used its all tube it has a three effects built in (chorus, vibe, and echo) as well as reverb, but the effects can be completely bypassed. It has a wide range of tones. Just a suggestion.
Jackson DK2M w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez ARZ 800 w/EMG 81/60
B52 AT-100
Marshall 4x12 cab
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss DD7 Delay
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Polytune