Poll: Should math and music be considered associated with each other?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should math and music be considered associated with each other?
Yes
62 37%
No
40 24%
My penis lenght exceeds 15'' therefore rendering me ineligible from voting in this poll.
64 39%
Voters: 166.
Page 1 of 2
Alright guys, i'm sure you've all heard somewhere or somehow that in the family of subjects, music and math are like cousins. It makes sense because, well, you need to know how to count rhythms and time (which is expressed as a fraction) and a whole other bunch of concepts that relate to math in a way. Question is, do you agree with this?

Personally, im 50/50 on the subject. I can obviously see why math and music correlate to each other, but at the same time, it's not like there's a formula to music . The reason I bring this up is because my math teacher once told me she couldn't believe how I could be so terrible at math but I was very musically skilled. I told her it's not really the same thing, but I can somewhat see where she's coming from (although she admitted to me she was terrible at music and thought music was a hell of a lot harder to understand than math).

Funny thing though, I mostly listen to really technical polyrhythmic shit and I love it when math is heavily applied to the music. You know, to the point where you can barely even headbang. It's just so cool and I love breaking down the rhythms. But sometimes I wonder, how the hell am I so terrible at math? I wish it was a joke, but I literally do not understand 8 out of 10 math section in school. Im horrible in algebra, and I barely pass it in school.

To sum it up, you'd think that by understanding music the way I do, i'd be able to do algebra or other math in school with ease, but that's not the case. So pit, do you agree that math go hand in hand? Are you good at one but bad at the other? Discuss.

TL;DR: My friend is starting up a brothel. Offered me $400 a night to bump uglies with strangers. Take it or leave it?
pinga
Take it TS.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Well I'm working at an A* for music and just about a C for mathematics...so no.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Oh God I lol'ed

Quote by Ēzio

Would you like to see my Soundcloud?
I love Padgea7x
Well you said yourself that you're 50/50 on the subject yet you didn't put a 50/50 choice in the poll, wut?

Oh I mean, take it TS, take it like a bitch.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

There's obviously a lot of maths in music but a lot of music is instinctive - you don't sit there thinking oh, that note is whatever ratio of the frequency of the last note and I like that. So there's no need to appreciate the maths side of it unless you really want to. But then if you want to get into that side of it you can compose some interesting sounding stuff. Dunno what else to say really.
Music is applied maths - so is everything. You can explain music with maths; but unless you're really really good at the maths it doesn't mean anything.

ANALOGY TIME
- you can describe a shakespeare play as a sequence of the 26 letters of the alphabet arranged to give a meaning, but that doesn't help. Same with music you can say it's an arrangement of frequencies and overtones but it doesn't help understand what a song is.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Same here... I love those technical rhythms, but I suck at math too...

A funny thing happened recently... A couple of days ago I told my math teacher I'm gonna play with a couple of mates for a school project (she didn't know I play the guitar), and I was surprised because she got very interested about it.
Run towards the light exposing your soul.
First, to be good at something you have to like it. It's way easier this way. I think school related things are hard to appreciate simply because they are school related. It's all in the head. Think about it, when you were young, I don't think you enjoyed sitting all day long and reading while you had the energy to jump around and have fun with your friends. That's just how kids are. So you grow with the idea that school isn't enjoyable. Mathematics can be enjoyable when you think about it. It can be pretty interesting. And it's easy to put a lot of time and effort in something interesting. That's what happens with music.

I think they are related because at some point, when music is so complicated that it's hard to understand or even like, as when you hear a complicated song the first time. You just can't understand what's going on. It becomes mathematic music. Such as a lot of prog bands (Protest the Hero, Between the Buried and me, Animals as Leaders, Scale the Summit, etc...)
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Last edited by shelovemyguitar at May 25, 2011,
Quote by Marius_08

A funny thing happened recently... A couple of days ago I told my math teacher I'm gonna play with a couple of mates for a school project (she didn't know I play the guitar), and I was surprised because she got very interested about it.

She obviously wants to fuck you.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Oh God I lol'ed

Quote by Ēzio

Would you like to see my Soundcloud?
I love Padgea7x
Quote by smb
There's obviously a lot of maths in music but a lot of music is instinctive - you don't sit there thinking oh, that note is whatever ratio of the frequency of the last note and I like that. So there's no need to appreciate the maths side of it unless you really want to. But then if you want to get into that side of it you can compose some interesting sounding stuff. Dunno what else to say really.

I'd argue that maths is also instinctive.
You don't sit there questioning whether 7 strings are more than 6. The majority of maths that you do day to day is based on instinct and more importantly memory. You remember that 2+2=4 in the same way you remember that C E G is a C major chord.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by Lollage123
Its maths you ****ing idiot

In my beast-ass country we call it math. No need for the extra S.

And crap, I forgot to add in the 50/50 option to my poll
pinga
My friend and I had this discussion a few weeks ago. I'm kinda on the fence saying there is no correlation. The thing with music is that it doesn't take polynomial equations to create a 12/8 time signature. Polyrhythms do take an effort to count out but it's only relative to the space in time each rhythm falls into place of the beat. I encourage you to read this article though: http://www.vai.com/LittleBlackDots/tempomental.html

I've only ever been good at Algebra and have most likely failed PreCalculus my Senior year, but I'm very decent at rhythms. My friend who I had the discussion with is an excellent, excellent drummer/teacher - an expert on rhythm no doubt! He believed math and music were correlated but when I asked him if he was good at math (and I already knew the answer), he said he wasn't. I mean there was no doubt in the ballpark that it's hard to find a correlation of.

Also, mathematics are more of an analytic skill on the Left side of your brain. Music is a creative skill on your Right side of the brain. I'm not saying the Right and Left cannot intermesh, because counting rhythms do, but it's just hard to really say. Pythagoras, being a mathematic and musical genius, would beg to differ but hey, it really depends upon person to person and I think that there's no real correlation.

Again, unless you're really just trying to be cool and create serialist music, having to use polynomial equations or the Law of Sines barely has anything to do with counting sixteenth notes.
We're all alright!
Quote by doive
You don't sit there questioning whether 7 strings are more than 6. The majority of maths that you do day to day is based on instinct and more importantly memory. You remember that 2+2=4 in the same way you remember that C E G is a C major chord.

To your sig: That's only 5 words...
Slappa tha bass
Guitar + Wall --> GuitarWall --> Smothered guitar + slightly damaged wall.

Oh wait... that was guitar + chemistry :p

Well, music has a close link to physics, with wavelengths and shit, and physics is linked with mathematics. Yeah, perhaps.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at May 25, 2011,
Quote by doive
Yeah but if I played you some complicated music with a few wrong notes in you could pick them out instinctively. If I showed you a complicated integration or an accounting balance sheet or a matrix transformation or whatever you'd need to do some processing to figure out where the mistakes were.
Quote by Mathedes
My friend and I had this discussion a few weeks ago. I'm kinda on the fence saying there is no correlation. The thing with music is that it doesn't take polynomial equations to create a 12/8 time signature. Polyrhythms do take an effort to count out but it's only relative to the space in time each rhythm falls into place of the beat. I encourage you to read this article though: http://www.vai.com/LittleBlackDots/tempomental.html...

I have found Vai's Martian Love Secrets articles in his Little Black Dots section to be very inspirational as well.

Also... is it just British people that say "maths"?
fear is the mindkiller

CANUCKS
Quote by TheEducatedFool
I have found Vai's Martian Love Secrets articles in his Little Black Dots section to be very inspirational as well.

Also... is it just British people that say "maths"?

'maths' is the grammatically correct short version of mathematics, it makes no sense to miss the 's'.
Music Is Math
Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
Quote by Zoot Allures
'maths' is the grammatically correct short version of mathematics, it makes no sense to miss the 's'.

That makes sense, though a trip to Wikipedia seemed to confirm my suspicion. I've certainly never heard "maths" outside of my experience on forums, and I've never been corrected when using "math" in speech.
fear is the mindkiller

CANUCKS
Last edited by TheEducatedFool at May 25, 2011,
Anything can be analogized with math.

Quote by Zoot Allures

language evolves. 'do the math' is a popular ad lib.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Last edited by laid-to-waste at May 25, 2011,
Quote by Hakoon1
Quote by Marius_08

She obviously wants to fuck you.

O L
Run towards the light exposing your soul.
i hate math with every fiber in my being
i love music with every fiber in my being
Whenever the Will to Power, in no matter what form, begins to decline, a physiological retrogression, decadence always supervenes.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Quote by tortilla
i hate math with every fiber in my being
i love music with every fiber in my being

you're high right now, aren't you?

btw they would make great lyrics
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Math is my favorite, and best subject at school, and I'm fairly good with music (my guitar teacher says that I pick up things quicker).
Skip the username, call me Billy
I'm pretty good with both, but I don't think they really have too much of a relation.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
Are they similar? Sure. But does that mean that being good at one makes you good at the other? Hell no. I get confused in math the second a letter or fraction gets involved, but I can break a song down into beats and phrases and such like there's no tomorrow. And for your side question, take it. Why would you turn down $400 a night to be a professional asshole?
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
You can apply maths to music, but then you can also apply maths to pretty much anything.
Music is much more subjective than maths. There are no fundamental axioms or proofs. You could say that music theory is sort of like this, but even that is not universal and does not need to be followed strictly.

I would not say that they have any transferrable skills between them.
In some places it's called "Maths."

In some places it's called "Math."

They mean the same thing, anyone with two brain cells knows what each one refers to and there is no point in saying one is better than the other.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Music has as much math as working on a potato field. It's all just simple addition and sometimes if you feel freaky a bit of subtraction.

In every band rehearsal around the world you hear stuff like "Ok dude, so you play this part 4 times, then the other 8 times, then comes this da-nana-naaa part and then we're back to the first part".
Not that hard, really.
Page 1 of 2