I have a Gibson les paul studio and i love it. The pick ups are just not quite what i like/want. i want something really rocky, fat and ballsie. just basically your classic rock 80's sound. right now my guitar has the 490R and 498T Alnico II Gibson stock pickups. They are both high output. I'm thinking about placing the seymour duncan SH-4 in at bridge position and the seymour duncan slash alnico II at neck position. i know i know the ones i have in there now are Alnico II type pick ups but i love the sound of the neck seymour duncan one alot better (not just because it's slash...). would this be a good set up? if not please suggest something else
What amp are you playing through?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

Ha damn you beat me to that one.
Sorry i'm late, but my walk has got terribly silly today
Quote by Offworld92

Peavey windsor all tube. its cheap but get's the job done and its affordable for a high school student haha. i use the MXR custom bad ass 78 distortion or MXR wylde overdrive to overdrive it depending on what i want
Quote by Offworld92

also when i play at church i cannot play through an amp because i do not have enough room. i go directly into the snake. i have an eq pedal to be the amp part of my rig. also when i play at school (christian school) we all go into a single amp.
Quote by nickdohle
Super Distortion. Im pretty sure its the 80s metal pickup

i dont really want a lot of distortion. not really metal. more just a good thick tone
Ok, so basically a JCM800. The Windsor is a really great amp, worth far more than it costs if you mod it, btw. Just something to think about for the future.

For the bridge, I'd recommend either the SD Custom 5, or the JB. The JB will obviously have a lot more output, and I honestly don't even like that pickup, but I'm not really sure what you mean by "rock". That's a really broad term.

For the neck, you can never go wrong with a '59. The Alnico II might also be good, if paired with a Custom. Something not too high output that would unbalance them.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Ok, so basically a JCM800. The Windsor is a really great amp, worth far more than it costs if you mod it, btw. Just something to think about for the future.

For the bridge, I'd recommend either the SD Custom 5, or the JB. The JB will obviously have a lot more output, and I honestly don't even like that pickup, but I'm not really sure what you mean by "rock". That's a really broad term.

For the neck, you can never go wrong with a '59. The Alnico II might also be good, if paired with a Custom. Something not too high output that would unbalance them.

thank you alot! you seem to know your stuff! that was the concept i was thinking. having a high output bridge pickup and then a moderate neck for warmer tones.
how can you mod the amp? can you post a link?

um by rock i meant your generic raw distorted tone. not fizzy or fuzzy and not too grungy or muddy. but just a good raw rock tone. a marshall tone basically
At your price point (assumed from your choices) I'd go with a regular Alnico II Pro in the neck and a Pearly Gates bridge, or just the PG set.

The Slash neck is only slightly different from the 490R you have now.

The 59 is nice, but it's not as thick as an Alnico 2 pickup.

Avoid the JB. It's rubbish without a magnet swap.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at May 25, 2011,
Quote by bubb_tubbs
At your price point (assumed from your choices) I'd go with a regular Alnico II Pro in the neck and a Pearly Gates bridge, or just the PG set.

The Slash neck is only slightly different from the 490R you have now.

The 59 is nice, but it's not as thick as an Alnico 2 pickup.

Avoid the JB. It's rubbish without a magnet swap.

I've heard alot of good things about the pearly gates pick ups. What do they sound like? What style are they mainly used for?
Quote by alexmarsh22

how can you mod the amp? can you post a link?

This is the most popular modder I know of, known for modding Peavey amps. These are the Windsor mods in particular: http://www.fjamods.com/Windsor.html

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X