About a month ago I noticed a weird crackling in the tone of my amp, similar to that of a faulty cable. It has gradually got worse and now whenever I play on my clean channel, I end up getting distortion without switching to distortion. I've troubleshooted and its definitely the amp. I can wiggle my cable around near the input jack of the amp and it switches back and forth from clean to dirty. The obvious answer is that there is a problem with the input jack.... I don't know enough about amps to assume that.

I have reseated and sprayed the pins of the power tubes, the pre-amp tubes were just changed less than a few months ago, so im pretty sure its something else.

Any idea what might be wrong and what I could do to fix it. Taking it to a guitar tech seems like the best option, but is there anything I could do myself that would be an easy fix?
This might sound pretty stupid, but you've tried a different cable, right?

EDIT: Just saw "I've troubleshooted", so nevermind! But you'd be surprised at how many people overlook something so simple as a cable.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Last edited by JagerSlushy at May 25, 2011,
Making sure none of the tubes are microphonic by tapping each with a pencil eraser and listening for nose through the speaker (the amp must be on obviously). If you hear noise from one tube you will need to replace it. Is the input jack loose at all? Meaning can you wiggle the end of the cable while its in the jack pretty freely and easily? If so you need to have the input jack replaced. You seem like you have troubleshot and found the problem (the jack) so take it to an amp tech and have it replaced.
I had this on an old marshall i use at band practise every now an then. I had to plug in then pull the jack out from the amps input by a couple of mm for it to work
Sorry i'm late, but my walk has got terribly silly today
Just tried tapping the tubes with an eraser and they are fine. At this point im very sure its the input or something else in the amp. As I was doing the eraser thing, right after I turned my amp on, i got this loud, hollow feedback as I wiggled the cable around the input jack. It was even echoing with reverb as I moved it around more. I'm hoping its nothing more than just the input.
Quote by andyhatescrass
Just tried tapping the tubes with an eraser and they are fine. At this point im very sure its the input or something else in the amp. As I was doing the eraser thing, right after I turned my amp on, i got this loud, hollow feedback as I wiggled the cable around the input jack. It was even echoing with reverb as I moved it around more. I'm hoping its nothing more than just the input.

Yeah sounds like input if youve tried different cables, guitars ect. There no shortage of people on here who could walk you through the fix.
Personally i dont trust myself with that sort of stuff an id take mine an happily pay a tech.
Sorry i'm late, but my walk has got terribly silly today