Im thinking about getting the special 6 ultra head/cab or combo. can someone give me a little advice about them? the combo is $330 and the head/cab is $469.98 from this place http://www.bananasmusic.com/productdetail.asp/pid_17907/productname_VHT-Special-6-Ultra-Head-and-Special-6-Closed-Back-Cabinet which im not to sure about buying from because Ive never heard of them. Im thinking Ill probably get the combo because its more affordable. but what are the main the differences between the two? will it mainly be volume, tone or both?
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
ESP: H-1001
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Digitech DT Whammy
Ibanez Sweeping Demon
Earthquake Bit Commander
Tone Mob Model 001 Fuzz Generator
DOD Bone Shaker
Stomp Under Foot Sonic Warfare
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
i haven't tried the ultra, but the bog standard one is pretty nice for the money. Mine was faulty, though (LOL), but aside from that the tone was pretty good for such a cheap amp.

if it's anything like the non-ultra version, the combo might be mdf whereas the cab will likely be ply... that's gonna sound better, though the combo is cheaper and (if it's anything like the normal version) it'll have speaker outs, so you could always get a separate cab later when you have more cash.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i haven't tried the ultra, but the bog standard one is pretty nice for the money. Mine was faulty, though (LOL), but aside from that the tone was pretty good for such a cheap amp.

if it's anything like the non-ultra version, the combo might be mdf whereas the cab will likely be ply... that's gonna sound better, though the combo is cheaper and (if it's anything like the normal version) it'll have speaker outs, so you could always get a separate cab later when you have more cash.

so are you saying I could get a separate cab for the combo later on?
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
ESP: H-1001
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Digitech DT Whammy
Ibanez Sweeping Demon
Earthquake Bit Commander
Tone Mob Model 001 Fuzz Generator
DOD Bone Shaker
Stomp Under Foot Sonic Warfare
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
Last edited by NIN1993 at May 25, 2011,
yeah, if it has the speaker outs which the head does
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i have the special 6 ultra combo and it is an amazing amp. it is my first tube amp i've owned and i love it. super happy with my purchase. accepts pedals very well. cleans are bright and pristine. the ultra channel has a real nice crunch wen the volume is cranked. and damn, this thing is loud. i play mostly metal core so have an mxr fullbore and crybaby 535q wah in front of it and they just sound great thru this amp. i would HIGHLY suggest getting one. it is truly a great investment
no, they arent made with the gain built in, but yes, they are asolutely loud enough to play small gigs with. i can play over my drummer and other guitarist at less than 1/4 volume. to get the higher gain u will need a pedal, but turning the level/volume on the pedal all the way, u can get a more amp like distortion and it won't sound as thin. just don't get a BOSS distortion pedal and u'll be all set
The difference will be largely tonal between the two. Half-stacks respond differently from combos because of the construction (closed back vs. open back). And yes, you can get high-gain sounds out of the Ultra without a pedal. It has a separate channel for heavy distortion. For NIN you're still probably going to want a pedal, because they use fuzz tones so much and those are hard to get out of ANY amp.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by sonic_777111
The difference will be largely tonal between the two. Half-stacks respond differently from combos because of the construction (closed back vs. open back). And yes, you can get high-gain sounds out of the Ultra without a pedal. It has a separate channel for heavy distortion. For NIN you're still probably going to want a pedal, because they use fuzz tones so much and those are hard to get out of ANY amp.

the ultra channel isnt "high gain". its more of a crunch channel. in order to get something like a metallica tone or more, u'll need a OD or distortion to accompany it. i prefer my distortion over the clean with the level on the pedal cranked. i like the OD over the ultra channel supplementing the amp overdrive with the pedal overdrive half and half for a nice classic crunch
Quote by andrerist
the ultra channel isnt "high gain". its more of a crunch channel. in order to get something like a metallica tone or more, u'll need a OD or distortion to accompany it. i prefer my distortion over the clean with the level on the pedal cranked. i like the OD over the ultra channel supplementing the amp overdrive with the pedal overdrive half and half for a nice classic crunch

I listened to some demos and the Ultra channel sounded pretty heavy...not necessarily Metallica though, more along the lines of 80's hard rock, kind of a JCM voicing.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass