No matter how hard I try, my pink just refuses to keep up with my other fingers.

For example, when I play the neo-classical shredding lick near the beginning of I'll see the Light Tonight by Yngwie Malmsteen, it sometimes sounds really good, but sometimes I mess up badly, and it's almost always because of my pinky.

Or perhaps when I try to play Skeleton on your Shoulder by Coroner, there is one part where I go through a major scale backwards on the G and the D string. This may sound really unclear, but bare with me here, I'm not sure how else to describe it.

See, I do exercises to strengthen my pinky, I play with a metronome, I take it slow first, etc. but there is always this one point where my pinky just up and quits.

Let me see if this makes sense.

****, the tab messed up...

Take that for example, that is the tab I was using for Skeleton on Your Shoulder. Right as it starts going backwards on the scale, I execute the first line on the g string fine, then I try and cross over to the D string and it will do one of two things.

It will lock up and mess up my run before it even hits the string

Or it will lock up mid scale messing up my other fingers.

Does this make sense? Basically I just need advice on pinky dexterity, or if I could do something to make it a bit easier?
I used to practice all these (helped majorly with diatonic chords lawl)

--15--13--12--------------|
--------------15--13--12--|
--------------------------|

--15--14--12--------------|
--------------15--13--12--|

--15--14--12--------------|
--------------15--14--12--|

--16--14--12--------------|
--------------16--14--12--|

--16--14--12--------------|
--------------15--14--12--|

--15--13--12--------------|
--------------15--13--11--|

Then I'd do trills (e.g. 12-15 repeatedly)

Then to make sure I was comfortable changing strings with my pinky, I'd practice this exercise
--12-11-9----------------
----------12-10-9--------
------------------11-9-8-
-------------------------

Those were the most basic for me, they helped make my pinky what it is today. Takes time, I started real slow. I can go through any of those ****ers at 180 bpm sixteenth notes due to some serious ass work.
Really paid off for me, when I jumped into harmonic minor and Yngwie stuff I was more then prepared ^_^!

Of course I did more than that, but this was my particular troubled area.
edit
By the way, you should be going up, down, and be able to cycle back and forth with little issue. Take your time broski.
Last edited by TheChosen1One at May 25, 2011,
Quote by Ironic Maiden
See, I do exercises to strengthen my pinky, I play with a metronome, I take it slow first, etc. but there is always this one point where my pinky just up and quits.

You're just trying to do more than you're really ready for. Keep up the practice and don't try and force yourself to play fast because it's not going to work, just keep yourself relaxed and you'll get there eventually.

Again, you can't force yourself to play faster than you're able to.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
when you say it "locks up" I wonder if you have the same problem as me...

I broke every finger on my fretting hand during an American football game back in high school. my first three fingers are fine now, but my pinky, not so much. The way it broke caused a vertical fracture in the middle joint pocket thingy. So now when I play guitar, when I bend it a certain way to fret a note, the joint locks up and I have to use my right hand to un-bend it.

If your problem is like that, then what you might try is tying a small like (2-3 lb) weight to the end of your pinky, then let your fingers hang off the edge of a table, and practice lifting your pinky. Youve been gripping things your whole life, but you dont ever really practice un-gripping things. its sort of like an aligator, he can bite the stew out of you, but he can only barely open his mouth....

It may not be helpful to you like it was for me, but I am now able to unfreeze my pinky without aid from my right hand. So i guess, just sort of make what you will of that.
To the first guy, thanks

To the second guy, maybe that's true, I dunno.

To the third guy, well I've never broken my fingers to be quite honest, but I might try something like that.
I agree that you are probably just attempting to play beyond your abilities at this point.

I would do a wide variety of fret hand exercises as part of your practice routine. By "exercise" don't just mean 1-2-3-4. There are literally thousands of isolations you can practice that will all help develop your fingers more than adequately.

And while it seems everyone is intent on strengthening their pinky... I don't hear as much about something equally important --- finger control and independence. That will eventually become more important to faster playing than finger strength alone.

Freepower has a video which is the best demo / explanation that I've seen on this topic - find it and watch it... you'll understand.

edit: here ya go : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvhZ80OsuTQ
Last edited by cringer at May 26, 2011,
Quote by cringer

And while it seems everyone is intent on strengthening their pinky... I don't hear as much about something MORE important --- finger control and independence. That will eventually become more important to faster playing than finger strength alone.

Fixed.

Control beats strength almost every time...even though both are important. Work on control and independence rather than strength.

OP: it does sound like you are pushing yourself too fast. If you lock up or feel "pressure" or "tension" then you are definitely pushing yourself too far too quickly and risk doing yourself an injury!