Page 1 of 2
Simple question. I want to know who's death has had the greatest impact on you, hear their story and why they meant so much. A personal death rather than that of a celebrity is preferred, but obviously not necessary if a famous person's death was your most emotional loss.

I ask this because it's been a year today since my guitar teacher Gordon, the man who put the gift of music in my hands, died suddenly at the age of fifty-six. I would sit in his shed on Monday nights, at 7 o'clock sharp, for up to an hour and half every single week for almost two years. He understood that teaching songs to kids wasn't the way to truly inspire dedicated players. He only showed me technique, exercises and skill building, along with some maintenance and audio basics, to really get me to become independent and develop at my own pace.
The first question he asked me when I met him was "Do you want to learn how to use a guitar, or do you want to know how to play a guitar?" I answered,
"Play."
He smiled and said "I thought so."
If you didn't want to truly practice and learn how to play songs, improvise and make your own music, then he didn't care whether you showed up or not. But the dozen people or so (me being the last before his death) that stuck with it week after week, disciplining ourselves to become a better player, Gord was always an inspiration and a mentor, and for that I am glad to have known him.

Now that I've told my story, I'd like to hear yours.
My grandfather. He was across the world in Syria, and I was listening while my dad was screaming over the phone, telling my grandmother numerous things to try and keep him alive while he was passing from heart failure. I couldn't even go to his funeral. I feel like I just avoided his death.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Not a single one... that is, until Clint Eastwood dies >.> seriously, I'm pretty impassive.

I enjoyed that story.
POST RAWK
My dog. We got him when I was a little baby. As I was growing up, I would sleep on him, ride him like a horse, and let him chase me around when I had food in my hand. He wouldn't let anybody touch us. If my mother was going to spank me and siblings, he would growl and try to bite her. He'd wipe his dirty paws on the mat when he came inside. He died late last year of cancer.
Quote by Ville Valo
Hurting Linde is like hurting Bambi. You just can't do it.

You should click on those, I think.

I like My Little Pony. Come at me, bro.
My friend Cameron. Known him since i was about 6, he got cancer aged 11 and then died aged 14. That was ****ing difficult.

Edit: I now realize this is a serious thread. I feel bad now.
Last edited by Silent Murder at May 25, 2011,
The Rev.
He was one of the world's best drummers and was taken way to soon.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
My Dad's sister. She actually died before I was born in a train accident- the crossing, which is in full view of the family house, was partially obscured by trees, so you couldn't see if a train was coming. It also didn't have barriers. Unfortunately the signals failed, and she crossed in the car just as a freight train did.

My Dad has taught me a lot from his stories about my Auntie. It's amazing how much someone can affect your upbringing without even meeting them.
deaths dont get to me much. im not gonna pick a celeb. i guess i can my friends death because it made a few of my friends always mad.
Quote by Nirvana_rocks73
My dad

Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
my sister.
she had special needs, but she lived to the fullest. not a person she hated, and not a person that hated her. spent her whole life battling just about everything from asthma to skulliosis.
december 21, 2009. four days before christmas. shed been in the hospital for two weeks with heart problems, she was supposed to be good to come home for christmas. she went into cardiac arrest, and the doctors had to do an emergency heart valve replacement.
they got it in, but it was just too much stress on her heart. she stuck it out for 12 hours through two cardiac arrests, bloodloss, and one last surgery.
she was the strongest person ive known; needless to say, im not too big a fan of the holidays now.
My bestfriend Mark who died of cancer when i was 14. Hard thing to go through after seeing each other every single day and then he's just gone.
Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
My dog had a seizure this morning and died in my and my dad's arms. I've had her since kindergarten, and can barely remember life without her.
Quote by the_hoodster
My friend Cameron. Known him since i was about 6, he got cancer aged 11 and then died aged 14. That was ****ing difficult.
Quote by Conor360
My bestfriend Mark who died of cancer when i was 14. Hard thing to go through after seeing each other every single day and then he's just gone.
Christ, that's horrible guys . I can't even imagine what it would be like to lose my best friend. He was in a serious cabin fire last year and only just made it out into -30C with nothing but boxers on before the fire flashed and the propane/gasoline exploded. He still has nerve damage from having to ride snowmobile for several kilometers to a neighbouring cabin for help, mostly from the wind and his feet freezing to the steel footboards. That was the most worried I've ever been for someone when I heard his cabin exploded but didn't know if he survived or not.

I know what losing a pet is like too. My dog that I had since 1997 died last year. She was rescued from drowning on a native reserve by my father, after her mother and all her siblings had already died from neglect and abuse. She was so malnourished that he brought her home in his coat pocket. She died last January on my dad's birthday, the only time I've seen him sadder was when his mother died in 2006 (his father died of cancer when he was four).
Last edited by Pat_s1t at May 25, 2011,
My girl

the day before valentines day

F
M
L

RIP Noelle
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at May 25, 2011,
all my grandparents have died, didn't bother me much, I wasn't very close to anything of them, and most of them spent their last days in the hospital or a home, so it was almost a good thing.

However, I cried like a baby when Gandalf fell in Moria...
my father killed himself on thanksgiving night in 2006 when i was 16.
it changed my life 100%, and was by far the most intense learning experience i have ever had.
it also f*cked me up in the head real bad.

when you lose a loved one, it drives the saying "you dont know what you got until its gone" into your head so bad.
life goes on though.

EDIT: i look back now, and i know that if he hadnt done it, i might not be into music at all (which is a huuuuuge part of my life), and i might not still be with my girlfriend (technically fiance) of 5 years.

like i said, life goes on.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Last edited by musicTHEORYnerd at May 25, 2011,
^ Shit man, that must've been horrible. I never knew how much goes on in people's lives as kids and teenagers. In comparison, I've had it pretty easy.

But I realized that too after Gord died, that you shouldn't take people for granted I mean. I used to believe he'd always be around to help fix my guitars, to teach me about sound engineering, and to bring me out for coffees in exchange for a bit of snow shovelling. Such a chill dude. The day he died, I was in school out on lunch break, and came back to school to see my father's truck parked outside. He's not too good with sensitivity, so he just told me straight up "Gord died last night." It was the most powerful sentence I've ever heard. I spent the next three days talking to his family and other former students, attending his wake, and finally his funeral. I felt worse during that ceremony than I did at my grandmother's and my uncle's funerals, and the only time I've ever felt equally at a loss for words was when I came home from school last January to find that my dog was going to have to be put down before she died painfully.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at May 25, 2011,
I'm not going to lie, it took me longer to accept Ronnie James Dio's death than those of any of my relatives or pets. But of all the relatives that have died so far, I've only really been close with one, and he was dying in the hospital for a week or two before he actually went and followed through with it. I remember the day my mom came home and said, "Big Ed died today." I said "OK." And that was that. Sudden deaths are harder, I think. There's no time to prepare. It scares me to think about what I'd feel if one of my parents, siblings, or good friends just up and died on me. I
Dimebag. I didn't think I cared about rockstars, especially having never met him, but I was a huge fan and loved to try and play his stuff on guitar. Literally made me sad, which rarely happens. Shocked me (the death and being sad about it)
Leslie Nielson. I know I never met him, but watching his movies when I felt like shit all the time really made some sort of faux connection with him.

My grandfather as well, due to his death being on my birthday when I was going to see him.
Quote by Pat_s1t
^ Shit man, that must've been horrible. I never knew how much goes on in people's lives as kids and teenagers. In comparison, I've had it pretty easy.

But I realized that too after Gord died, that you shouldn't take people for granted I mean. I used to believe he'd always be around to help fix my guitars, to teach me about sound engineering, and to bring me out for coffees in exchange for a bit of snow shovelling. Such a chill dude. The day he died, I was in school out on lunch break, and came back to school to see my father's truck parked outside. He's not too good with sensitivity, so he just told me straight up "Gord died last night." It was the most powerful sentence I've ever heard. I spent the next three days talking to his family and other former students, attending his wake, and finally his funeral. I felt worse during that ceremony than I did at my grandmother's and my uncle's funerals, and the only time I've ever felt equally at a loss for words was when I came home from school last January to find that my dog was going to have to be put down before she died painfully.

yeah i was in denial for atleast a year, i didnt cry once.

but then after a while i thought to myself, wait my dad is dead.
the guy who taught me how to tie my shoes is dead and i will never see him again.
the guys who (attempted) to teach me how to talk to girls is gone forever and ill never hear his voice again.
THAT is when it got hard to deal with.

but it affects people differently, and some people have it harder than others. a couple years ago my cousins father died, and then 5 months later his mother died.
i know how it is to lose a father, but to lose my mother too, holy shit i cant even imagine what that kid is dealing with.

i think every death is very hard if you know the person well enough.
a guitar teacher, and friend from what you tell me, an uncle, anything.
death is hard to deal with.

its not even the whole, "oh the person is dead" thats hard.
its just the fact that you will never EVER see the person again, youll never have a conversation again, youll never hug them again. thats the hard part.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
^ I never knew my relatives too well, since I've lived way up north for fourteen years and they all live in Newfoundland. It's so expensive to see them, I only see my grandparents, aunts and uncles once every 2-4 years.
Quote by Pat_s1t
^ I never knew my relatives too well, since I've lived way up north for fourteen years and they all live in Newfoundland. It's so expensive to see them, I only see my grandparents, aunts and uncles once every 2-4 years.

Yeah, my parents can't afford tickets every year to visit. It sucks though, I feel like I'm missing out on being with my family no matter how bad things can be over there.
My dad died when I was a little kid. I remember I cried almost non-stop for nearly the entire day, I don't really understand why though because I was too young to understand what death was because a few days after he died I asked my mom if he was going to come back in a few years.
When I did get old enough to understand what death was there was a day that I was sitting in my room looking at an old photo album which had a bunch of pictures of him and I couldn't help it, I got insanely depressed and cried harder than ever.

Jeez I shouldn't have clicked on this thread.
My uncle Den, not to sound cliche but he was a big guy with a bigger heart, he was just about the most hilarious person I've known in my life and he was always a big part of making my family as crazy as it is now (in a good way). When I was born he wrote an article about me in our local paper (he was a Satirist) because my mom had previously had 2 miscarriages and she was told there was no way she could ever have another child.. but here I am.

Either way, he had Diabetes (like I said, big guy) and he had already had a kidney transplant a few years before, he was going in for a fairly routine surgery and he made it through fine. When he woke up he was in great condition, sometime during his stay a nurse came in and he was just not alive, no immediate explanation (I still don't know what the cause of death was). He either died the day before or on my 15th birthday, but I found out on my birthday nonetheless. I was at camp at the time and the staff and campers had just finished singing happy birthday at dinner. I don't really remember who or how but somebody told me that he had died and I was absolutely devastated, I left that night.

About a year after his death the local paper set up a bench and tree in his honor at a local park.

Needless to say, my birthday has never been quite as nice as before then.

EDIT:

Also my dog, he's still the only dog I've had and he died I guess about a year and a half ago. He was possibly the least healthy dog I'd ever seen, the day we got him I could see that his hind knees faced inward, but he was so damn cute. We took him to the vet and they told us he had a huge heart murmur and a slew of other problems and they suggested putting him down, we never did. He lived with us for about 8 years, he was never able to walk down the stairs and every year he would get angrier and angrier (although until just before we had to finally put him down he showed no signs of pain). He started biting my friends and family, but he never once bit me, I always felt like I was the only one he cared for. One day about a month after my Sister, Brother In-Law and Nieces moved in he bit one of my nieces and my mom told me he needed to be put down. I must have sat with him and cried for an hour, but I could never say goodbye. :'(
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
Last edited by monkeysintheday at May 25, 2011,
My girlfriend and best friend was killed by a drunk driver. Completely changed the entire course of my life, and I still don't know how to cope, what I want to do, or even how I feel anymore.
My cat. I was very surprised how saddened his (very unexpected) death made me. It totally sucked walking around the house by each of his little "spots" where he would sleep, eat, etc.

Especially because every morning for school I'd open the garage door and he'd come out awake from his nap ready for his morning food. That first morning of no cat running out of the door was very upsetting to say the least.
Last edited by The Madcap at May 25, 2011,
The Rev

when I found out he died, I was in shock. He was my inspiration. One of the best musicians I've ever heard, a great singer, and he really put life into the drums. That guy was also ****ing hilarious. Mike Portnoy can never replace him, epic though he may be. Jimmy just had more spirit.

Rest in Peace, Jimmy.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

I've had close family members die and friends, but none of them affected me whatsoever. The only death I've mourned was my old dog's when I was 6. I'm not repressing anything or becoming cold, I just have a unique view of death.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
My dog, maybe. He was a central part of my childhood, and at the time he died, I had spent literally every day of my life with him, and it was weird for me to suddenly have that ripped away from me. I miss that guy Plus this was at a very difficult time for my family, and this just added to the ongoing list of problems arising. It left me really confused at the time, but looking back now I can see how much I changed from going into that year and a half or so and coming out.

My grandma also died around that time period. This wasn't quite as emotionally crushing for me, since I only saw her maybe once every month or two. She had Alzheimer's, though I was unaware of it at the time, and this was also a huge factor in the rift that came about from that time period. Apparently she would manage to get out of the retirement home and tried togo see my aunt in a town about an hour away, and just a whole bunch of things that would stress my family out. Again, I was not totally aware of what was going on, just that a whole lot was changing. This death was more important, I think, but my dog was more emotional.
My grandfather. He was the first death of someone I knew, and thankfully is the only death of someone I know. And apparently I'm very similar to him.
No one personally in my life, other than maybe my dog... (my grandma died but we weren't that close ).

Although, I would say the biggest one loss was probably Michael Jackson... I've always been a fan, but even if you're not, he was a massive talent--it was like Mozart died. He was an insanely good writer, lyricist, singer, dancer and all-around entertainer. More popular than Jesus, known the world-over. A damn good guy, too.
Quote by Masamune
I'm actually interested in this. Could you elaborate a bit?

I don't mourn it. I don't view it as worse than life. Everything you've done in your life has led up to that point whether it be cancer from smoking, or being in a certain place and time when a car came by to run you down, so there is no reason to point blame at anything. Death is not the opposite of life, it is the opposite of birth. Life is eternal and existence caries on without you. You can only fear death when you are alive, so why fear it at all? People let their emotions overwhelm them in these situations, because they haven't bothered to rationalize it and thus don't know how else to react. You are not losing someone, they simply ended, just as you will end at some point. You cannot miss someone, because they are not missing. They left precisely as they should have. It's never premature, it's all relative to circumstance.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Page 1 of 2