Page 1 of 2
so today i got some guitar picks in the mail and i decided to try out some pretty thick ones (5.85mm) so what are the thickest picks you play with?
Usually Dunlop Tortex Yellow (.73) or Green (.88). Occasionally a thumb pick which is a bit thicker, but I don't use it that often.

5.85mm seems a bit overkill...
it actually improves your playing it makes your hand more relaxed and also gives a great tone, it does take a bit of getting used to. eventually i will buy the 11.85mm pick
Dunlop Tortex 1.0mm.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at May 25, 2011,
Although I love thick picks I think 1 cm thick picks are a little too much, I think that's even more than the space between the strings, and even with a pointed tip it would probably slow me down and make jumping between strings harder. 5 mm sounds pretty cool though.

For me the thickest pick I've used where the 3mm small stubby picks that jim dunlop makes, the perfect pick shape imo, but I hate the material. Now I regularly use 1.14mm thick jazz tortexs.
Quote by sashki
My thumb is, like, 10mm

Oh, well look at you.

Anyway, .94, those are mai James Hetfield Black Fang picks.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
You mean the V-Pick 5.85mm?

Anything thicker and you're playing with a 2x4. How are they working out for you?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
over 5mm? What is it, like plexiglass chunks or something?

No more than .6mm for me. I used to use thick jazz picks but then just kind of grew away from them...
the biggest i go is a Big Stubby 3.0mm

it pretty much does anything i would want a thicker pick to do
1.14mm
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
I usually use .73mm, but I just ordered some 2.0 big stubbies. can't wait to try them

Edit: This v-pick insanity is.....insane.

Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by InanezGuitars44 at May 26, 2011,
I use Ultex Jazz III's but to be honest I'm not exactly sure what gauge they are. Somewhere between 1 and 1.5 mm.

Agreed. Anybody using that monstrosity in the pic might as well save some money and just get a bag of marbles from a toy store and use those.
Quote by InanezGuitars44
I usually use .73mm, but I just ordered some 2.0 big stubbies. can't wait to try them

oh ya i got one of those around here somewhere.

damn clear picks. never find them when you want and then they turn up like 2 weeks later.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by InanezGuitars44
This v-pick insanity is.....insane.

That's not a pick. It's an ashtray shaped like a pick.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I used to use Jim Dunlop Jazz III's. Then went to the Jazz III Tortex, which are AWESOME. And now I'm using them and the Jazz III XL's.
V-Picks Dimension 4.1mm are teh awesomes. I'll get some of the thicker ones next time I order, though. The thinnest i go are the standard V-Picks, 2.7mm iirc.
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.

Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?

Medium.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
I tried playing with a thick bass pick once,i dont remember its thickness but it was THICK it made my playing sound scratchy while riffing never used them again i used to use jazz iii i am using jazz iii and will always keep using it until i find something better
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
3mm is biggest iv used
1mm is my standard these days
Sorry i'm late, but my walk has got terribly silly today
Quote by kutless999
Dunlop Tortex 1.0mm.

Best picks ever, will use these forever.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

V-Picks are ridiculous. Who's brilliant idea was it to make some uber-expensive picks made from a clear material? As if picks don't get lost often enough.

OT: 1.4mm bronze pick. Love it, nice and bright. Great for leads.
Quote by Gord@k
Best picks ever, will use these forever.

+1. I've always got one on hand, they're great.
All you need is love... And chocolate!
Out of curiosity, does anyone know the guage of the Jazz III?
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by kutless999
Dunlop Tortex 1.0mm.

I used those for a long time, but I just recently moved down to the .50 Tortex.
Quote by lfcagger
Out of curiosity, does anyone know the guage of the Jazz III?

They're usually 1.14 mm I believe.
Quote by Seref
V-Picks are ridiculous. Who's brilliant idea was it to make some uber-expensive picks made from a clear material? As if picks don't get lost often enough.

OT: 1.4mm bronze pick. Love it, nice and bright. Great for leads.

mine are black.

Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Dunlop Stubby for me most of the time (Not the Big Stubby) Its about the size of a Jazz III, maybe a tiny bit smaller, 3mm thick. Great pick.
Quote by Grawgos
Big stubby 3.0mm

same plus the dava jazz grips. They seriously help picking technique (especially for me cause I learned by fingerpicking and really didn't understand picks for awhile
Page 1 of 2