I know what an A7 is by itself, but what do the #9 and b13 do? Can someone please give me a tab or chord chart of this chord? Also, would someone be so kind as to explain what you are doing scale-wise to get a #9 and b13?
A 9 is the second degree of a scale, raised by an octave (to create a ninth degree). A #9 is the nine sharpened (half a tone higher). The 13 is the same. It's the sixth scale of a degree, raised by an octave, creating a thirteenth. Then flatten it.

This would be your chord (notic it misses the fifth, the E)

8 B#
6 F
6 C#
5 G
-
5 A

Also, I think this is in the wrong forum, but not sure.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
They're exactly the intervals they say they are, added to the chord.

#9 being enharmonic with a b3 (so for A, that's a C... or possibly a B#, I'm not sure) and a b13 is a #5 enharmonically (in A again that's an F).

In scalar terms... it's not from a scale, at least not one that I know of. It's just a chord that gets the sound of whatever it is the original composer wanted.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
#9 => 7th + sharpened second
b13 => 7th, 9th, (2nd) 11th (4th) and b13th (6th)
Although commonly on the highest of those is played.

so in A a #9 is a B# (enharmonic to C but not actually a C)
b13 = F

=> A7#9b13 = A C# E G B# (D) F
The D is in brackets because it is technically implied but probably not used
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Basically you grab your initial A scale

A - B - C# - D - E - F# - G#

you count along obviously ending at seven
But then start again so that A would be classed as 8

the sharp from number (9) B is you move it up a semi-tone / one note higher
So that the actual note will be infact B# (Which also is the same note as C, this term is known as enharmonic)

the b in front of the (13) means bring that note back a semi-tone so that the F# actually becomes an F

EDIT: **** I'm a slower typer
All of the extra #s and bs are worked out basically by looking at the scale of the chord - In this case, the scale of A major. If 8th is obviously an octave, so 9th is the same as the 2nd, but an octave above. The 2nd in A Major is B, so #9 would be B#, or C.
The same applies to 13, so if you work it out, the 13th is the same as the 6th, which is F, but an octave above the root. F#b is obviously just F.
The chord would also have all of the A7 in, which you already know is A C# E G. So, overall, the chord would be A C# E G C F
I think this is right, but if not, I'm sure I will be quickly corrected

Edit: Good god, what happened here
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Last edited by HeretiK538 at May 25, 2011,
To all people saying the #9 is a C in the key of A, it is not. It's a B# (which is enharmonically the same note).
Quote by RDSElite
To all people saying the #9 is a C in the key of A, it is not. It's a B# (which is enharmonically the same note).

*feels slightly smug*
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
*feels slightly smug*

yeah