Poll: Is Buddhism a religion?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is Buddhism a religion?
Yes it is
156 69%
No it isn't
71 31%
Voters: 227.
Page 1 of 3
So I am currently having an intellectually immature argument on the legitimacy of Buddhism being a religion.

My friend argues that since Buddhism does not follow any sort of deity, doesn't follow a specific set of rules, and doesn't tell you what to do, it is not a religion. I think the general idea that this person is getting at is that Buddhism is more of a way of life or something. I also read on arguments that Buddhism was never meant to be a religion, but transformed that way to appeal to people or to be categorizable by the Western society.

Looking at Buddhism from a general point of view, I believe that it is a religion, as well as an intellectual philosophy. Contrary to what my friend believes, it does follow a general guideline(Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path)

So is it a religion,or not?
Well, if you asked the Buddhists I'm sure they'd say it's irrelevant.

I would say it is, but it boils down to your definition of a religion.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Dictionary
Search Results
re·li·gion
noun /riˈlijən/ 
religions, plural
The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods
- ideas about the relationship between science and religion

Details of belief as taught or discussed
- when the school first opened they taught only religion, Italian, and mathematics

A particular system of faith and worship
- the world's great religions

A pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance
- consumerism is the new religion

From my 3 second search on google, it does not seem like it is a religion.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
i am a Buddhist and what is this.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I think it's a religion-ish thing.

EDIT: I accidentally clicked the wrong option on the poll. I think of it as more of a philosophical doctrine, as no deities are being worshiped.
Last edited by due 07 at May 25, 2011,
Buddism's a religion. It involves reincarnation and it's own form of salvation AND it's based on the teaching a man pressumed as the "enlightened one".
no
Quote by DaFizzle
Periods are only a myth made up by woman to have more things to cry about, its the same with birth pains. Because i imagine its like having a shite and i quite enjoy turding.

Quote by SoftParade1967
subway?
Quote by Exo M7
he needs a ride not a sandwich ****ing retard
Quote by rock.freak667
Dictionary
Search Results
re·li·gion
noun /riˈlijən/ 
religions, plural
The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods
- ideas about the relationship between science and religion

Details of belief as taught or discussed
- when the school first opened they taught only religion, Italian, and mathematics

A particular system of faith and worship
- the world's great religions

A pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance
- consumerism is the new religion

From my 3 second search on google, it does not seem like it is a religion.

my three second search led me to believe that it is a religion (well, according to wiki).
For the most part. However, many people practice it as a philosophical position.

Quote by danielh123.
I asked my dad's Buddhist girlfriend, she said it's not a religion.

"way of life etc etc etc"

Move along.

Sounds like the claim some Christians make, "It's not a religion, it's a relationship..."
Last edited by nincompoop at May 25, 2011,
they don't follow a deity, but they follow a man. they follow the buddha, and that man isn't supernatural, sure, and they don't worship him per se, but they have faith in him and they follow his ways. it's a religion in my eyes, that is without putting it into context of wikipedia's definition^

it's also a damn good 'religion' if you ask me.

Quote by nincompoop
For the most part. However, many people practice it as a philosophical position.

Sounds like the claim some Christians make, "It's not a religion, it's a relationship..."

except it's actually a valid objective explanation in buddhism
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Last edited by laid-to-waste at May 25, 2011,
Quote by laid-to-waste
they don't follow a deity, but they follow a man. they follow the buddha, and that man isn't supernatural, sure, and they don't worship him per se, but they have faith in him and they follow his ways. it's a religion in my eyes, that is without putting it into context of wikipedia's definition^

Agreed. The only one worth a damn, if you ask me. It's not for me, but... it's tangible.
Quote by nincompoop
Agreed. The only one worth a damn, if you ask me. It's not for me, but... it's tangible.

i know if i fuck up my life, i am giving away all my shit and going full on buddhist monk to reach enlightenment.

i probably won't f
uck up my life though, so i'm golden.
Nope, its a sandwich.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
That's not what your mother said.

That's right. You aint the only one working with cows.

DOUBLE MOM JOKE!

It's like Y being a vowel. Sometimes it can be, but sometimes it's not depending on the context.
Check out my band Disturbed
it can be if you want. I don't consider myself a buddhist in the religious sense, but I embrace buddhism as it is culturally relevent to me and my race.

Funny story, one day i went out without wearing my beads bracelet, and me and my friend get arrested for marijuana possession

not a day has gone by without my beads around my wrist since then
Quote by laid-to-waste

except it's actually a valid objective explanation in buddhism
But in that case, you could say I am a Schwarzenbachist or Camusist or something, and it'd be a valid religion. Subscribing to ideas of a philosophy isn't necessarily religion.

And iirc, Buddha was somewhat supernatural. Not in that he had superpowers, but he battles Mara and all that stuff.
Quote by due 07
But in that case, you could say I am a Schwarzenbachist or Camusist or something, and it'd be a valid religion. Subscribing to ideas of a philosophy isn't necessarily religion.

yeah, i see what you mean. buddhism just seems to be an exception for me for some reason. i guess it's because i studied it in parallel to the other religions.

And iirc, Buddha was somewhat supernatural. Not in that he had superpowers, but he battles Mara and all that stuff.

by 'he's not supernatural', i meant he doesn't work in parallel with the traditional god/allah. that's a stupid way of putting it, though. it's 1.30 am here, i need sleep.
Last edited by laid-to-waste at May 25, 2011,
Quote by laid-to-waste
yeah, i see what you mean. buddhism just seems to be an exception for me for some reason. i guess it's because i studied it in parallel to the other religions.
I know what you mean, and I did the same. I studied as many religions as I could (still do intermittently) when I first started to really question Christianity. Actually, I went through a little Zen Buddhist stage, but ultimately decided it's not for me, at least at this point in my life.

If it is a religion, it is definitely the most plausible.
I would say Buddhism is more of a way of life and a mindset, rather than a strict religion.
Quote by due 07
I know what you mean, and I did the same. I studied as many religions as I could (still do intermittently) when I first started to really question Christianity. Actually, I went through a little Zen Buddhist stage, but ultimately decided it's not for me, at least at this point in my life.

If it is a religion, it is definitely the most plausible.

did you study them in a school/college/uni or on your own?
Quote by TheBurningFish
Well, if you asked the Buddhists I'm sure they'd say it's irrelevant.

I would say it is, but it boils down to your definition of a religion.

^^ This.
I call it a religion, but I've argued that it is more of a way of living.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
It's funny, I've never really cared to read the definition of religion.

But it most certainly is. If school teaches it that way, then I don't have a reason to doubt it is. Taoism, Confucianism, and the like are more ways of life than religions as they don't necessarily relate to some spiritual power.
I think Scientology is the same as Buddhism (no god etc) but people still class that as a religion.

I don't really think it matters either way.
Quote by theogonia777
i am a Buddhist and what is this.

A forum. People talk to each other here.
Quote by laid-to-waste
did you study them in a school/college/uni or on your own?
On my own. I'm still in high school, and they don't teach that shit in public school
It depends on how you define 'religion'. To simplify it, think of religion as a set of beliefs that one follows and practises. In that case, yes it's a religion, but could also be considered a way of life. Either way, it doesn't really matter.
I know Buddhist people who are Christian at the same time, where Buddhism is just a way of life. When I asked them, they told me Buddhism allows you to follow another religion apart. So it is not. Don't quote me that though.

As far as I know, it isn't considered one, and they don't believe in a god.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Quote by cxrlxscr
I know Buddhist people who are Christian at the same time, where Buddhism is just a way of life. When I asked them, they told me Buddhism allows you to follow another religion apart.

yeah, this is true. My dad is an example.

As i said before though, i havent gone deep into buddhism at all myself, its mostly a culture thing for me.
Quote by Eastwinn
What is a religion, but a way of life?

Exactly.

OT: makes no difference if it is or isn't.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by laid-to-waste
i know if i fuck up my life, i am giving away all my shit and going full on buddhist monk to reach enlightenment.

i probably won't f
uck up my life though, so i'm golden.

I'm an atheist, but I wouldn't rule that out. It sounds pretty amazing. I'm all for spirituality and meditation and all that.
I'm a buddhist, and it's irrelevant. Religion is a way of living life anyway, so either way you look at it I suppose it could be a religion and a philosophy.

Some buddhists worship gods but 'The Buddha' never claimed to be one, so any worshipping of such things is based on the individual or perhaps the culture of where the individual lives.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Fifteen minutes on the internet or 15 minutes with a Buddhist will inform you that Buddhism is a religion. I guess the subject is good for generating replys, but that seems to be all it is good for.
Smile when you say that.
Page 1 of 3