As a an ally and otherwise strategic military outpost; Turkey has been the 3rd place recipient of American military aid and training since the end of WW2, lagging only behind Israel and Egypt.

In 1984, that aid shot up considerably and would continue to rise untill 1997.

Not because of the Russians who were on their way to collapse, right, but because of the 1984 Kurdish insurgency led by a secennionist revolutionary party. The formation of which is apparently a reaction to years of brutal Turkish repression.

(Kurds, at 15 million, account for 18 percent of the total population).

The turkish launch a massive counter insurgency campaign in the south-eastern provinces assisted by Clintons administration with NATO bombings, resulting in 3 million refugees, the total destruction of over 4000 villages and 30,000 dead Kurds. Basically
one of the worst cases of ethnic cleansing in the 90s.

So my question is, assuming american politicians dont come out of comic books, why were we involved? Who could seriously profit here from oppressing a Turkish minority group located on the other end of the world? **** it, let them have their own mini state.

The soviet union was finished, therefore we didnt really have a reason to maintain our nuclear missile deterrent in Turkey (Turkey was to the US what Cuba was to Russia, incase you didnt know to what degree the cuban missile crisis is twofaced).

Perhaps somebody familiar with the turkish culture could enlighten the pit.

Thoughts?

inb4 conspiracy
Last edited by Rising at May 25, 2011,
Perhaps it was a simple case of helping an ally fight an enemy. I don't understand whats so weird about it...
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by shikkaka
Perhaps it was a simple case of helping an ally fight an enemy. I don't understand whats so weird about it...

Foreign policy isn't that simple usually.
Quote by Rising
As a an ally and otherwise strategic military outpost; Turkey has been the 3rd place recipient of American military aid and training since the end of WW2, lagging only behind Israel and Egypt.

In 1984, that aid shot up considerably and would continue to rise untill 1997.

Not because of the Russians who were on their way to collapse, right, but because of the 1984 Kurdish insurgency led by a secennionist revolutionary party. The formation of which is apparently a reaction to years of brutal Turkish repression.

(Kurds, at 15 million, account for 18 percent of the total population).

The turkish launch a massive counter insurgency campaign in the south-eastern provinces assisted by Clintons administration with NATO bombings, resulting in 3 million refugees, the total destruction of over 4000 villages and 30,000 dead Kurds. Basically
one of the worst cases of ethnic cleansing in the 90s.

So my question is, assuming american politicians dont come out of comic books, why were we involved? Who could seriously profit here from oppressing a Turkish minority group located on the other end of the world? **** it, let them have their own mini state.

The soviet union was finished, therefore we didnt really have a reason to maintain our nuclear missile deterrent in Turkey (Turkey was to the US what Cuba was to Russia, incase you didnt know to what degree the cuban missile crisis is twofaced).

Perhaps somebody familiar with the turkish culture could enlighten the pit.

Thoughts?

inb4 conspiracy

TBH Turkey wasnt Americas Cuba.

But despite that flawed insight of yours, I would say probably something to do with their alliance, the position of NATO towards the end of the cold war, the boost to the US economy that it would grant and if America wanted to keep its nuclear influence in Europe. The fact the Kurds were probably supplied by the USSR might have had an impact on it too.

I dont know alot (anything) about it though so thats all guesses. Maybe you should go get some books on it or something? Sounds very interesting.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Rising

inb4 conspiracy

Well it had to have benefited someone because we were involved. I wish I knew more about the subject, we talked about Turkey briefly in the Middle East class I had last semester but I don't know anything about US-Turkey relations. Maybe it has something to do with the Iraqi Kurdish population? Or maybe it has something to do with Israel. Just speculation on my part, I have no idea.
Having allies is good, espicially in that region of the world

Honestly don't know too much about the subject but am kinda interested to know, i think my dad was stationed there at one point or another

EDIT: What Dirge said. Zoot n Kumanji will have THE best unbiased answers on this subject
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Last edited by vicarious46 at May 25, 2011,
Quote by Tom 1.0
TBH Turkey wasnt Americas Cuba.

The USSR stationed nuclear missiles in Cuba that could strike any target in the US.

The US stationed nuclear missiles in Turkey that could strike any target in the USSR.

Whats wrong with that comparison?
Kurds? No whey.
Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Yeah, I use a Squier Strat.
Quote by Rising
The USSR stationed nuclear missiles in Cuba that could strike any target in the US.

The US stationed nuclear missiles in Turkey that could strike any target in the USSR.

Whats wrong with that comparison?

Same for the US missiles based in Germany.

Turkey received practically obsolete weapons from America to deter further aggression by the Greeks.

The reason people tie the two together is Russia only got bent out of shape over Turkey because they were already pissed about everything else. The removal of the Titan missiles from Turkey was part of the deal with Russia over Cuba, difference was this was done in secret so everybody always saw the Cuban Crisis as an American victory.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Same for the US missiles based in Germany.

Turkey received practically obsolete weapons from America to deter further aggression by the Greeks.

The reason people tie the two together is Russia only got bent out of shape over Turkey because they were already pissed about everything else. The removal of the Titan missiles from Turkey was part of the deal with Russia over Cuba, difference was this was done in secret so everybody always saw the Cuban Crisis as an American victory.

Everybody was taught the missile crisis was some huge senseless soviet act of aggression, because Turkey, and yeah, Berlin are taken out of the overall context.
Read the book "Descent Into Chaos" by Ahmed Rashid. While not a book specifically dealing with that area, time, or scenario, it will most certainly help you to understand the myriad of nuances that went into making that entire region a dynamic situation.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Rising
Everybody was taught the missile crisis was some huge senseless soviet act of aggression, because Turkey, and yeah, Berlin are taken out of the overall context.

I wasn't. but then again my Lecturer was the daughter of a Russian dissident.

Turkey was a particular ally of the Americans during the cold war, it makes sense to me that they would aid the government in trying to stabilise an uprising. Even in 1984, nobody knew the USSR was going to collapse in 7 years time, so having your close ally toppled with your troops and nuclear weapons in country would have been a bad bad thing.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Until very recently (this year), Israel didn't allow teaching about the Kurdish holocaust in schools. I remember my history teacher teaching us about it all hush-hush.

Anyway, it was terrible, and the U.S is a very hypocritical country.