so does anyone know how to make a really durable stage box? the ones you see bands stomping on and whatnot?

ive made them before but we always seem to smash through them really quickly. so if anyone has some advice it would really be helpful.
(btw were not using cheap particle board or anything)
I made some a few years back in wood shop. I actually used particle board for the sides and for the tops it was (I think) nearly an inch thick plywood. But I really worked on them. I pre-drilled holes then used screws not nails to hold them together and I also had a piece of 2x4 inside screwed in in between two sides for even more support. They've lasted these past 3 years and my band jumps on them, jumps off of them and always uses them.
-------------------------------------------------
facebook.com/thesedrowningtides
youtube.com/thesedrowningtides
am i an idiot if i don't know what you're referring to when you say 'bands stomping on and whatnot'?

am i missing a new genre?

...stompcore?
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by laid-to-waste
am i an idiot if i don't know what you're referring to when you say 'bands stomping on and whatnot'?

am i missing a new genre?

...stompcore?

Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Yeah, I use a Squier Strat.
Man that picture was so big I could see the guys tastebuds.
Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Semi-related. Back in my angsty days when I went to see Avenged Sevenfold they set up these tables at the front of the stage to pose on. It was the gayest.
@gerard not a lot of small bands get the luxury of monitors at shows lol
facebook.com/thesedrowningtides
youtube.com/thesedrowningtides
Quote by Gerard_xD
Oh right, can't he put his foot on the monitor?

It's best not to. That actually damages them. Besides, you can fully stand up on those boxes and it looks cool as shit when both guitarists are up on them doing harmonized leads.

Edit: TS, don't forget to put some sort of rubber patches on the bottom to keep them from sliding around if you decide to make them.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at May 25, 2011,
I would imagine a good way to do it would be to just make a box out of 5 pieces of wood, and then put a cross of wood in the middle so that the weight is going onto the cross also. And that way there isnt much weight going onto the actual panels and breaking the glue/nails/w/e. Maybe that's obvious, but I'm not sure. Sorry if it is.
Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Stage boxes? I didn't know that was even a thing. Can't you put your foot on the monitor or something?

I imagine it's just a plwood box that probably has some sort of bracing on the inside of the top to keep it from bending under the weight of the person standing on it. Having said that, 13mm plywood is pretty darn strong on its own
Last edited by sashki at May 25, 2011,
Quote by danimalhxc
@gerard not a lot of small bands get the luxury of monitors at shows lol

Depends on the venue I guess, my band plays pretty small shows and the venue usually has always had one
I would be really paranoid about falling through the top of the box, don't forget to strengthen it somehow if you use plywood or something similar.

Quote by sashki
Wait, so is it like a percussion instrument, or is it just a box you stand on?

its basically a podium for lead singers with a superiority complex to stand on at the front of the stage
Quote by westley23j
its basically a podium for lead singers with a superiority complex to stand on at the front of the stage

Right because stage prop that allows any member, save for the drummer, to move around on = superiority complex.
That's why it's a good thing one of my guitarists is an architect.
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
Quote by Silveroon009
That's why it's a good thing one of my guitarists is an architect.

but can he work a saw!?
Quote by hightension01
ugh.. that crate looks gross to me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lfB6k0krgU

at about 3:03 onward the vocalist does the stomps im talking about.
my entire band does that

Oh wow, I've never cringed at anything more in my life. I actually felt really awkward watching that.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

If you've got a big cab you can stand on that and feel the vibrations from your playing

Then again, i've got a 2x15 bass cab. Problem, guitarists?
pinga
Quote by hightension01
but can he work a saw!?

My other guitarist is a lumberjack.
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
Do you mean to tell me that you're actually going to put the time, effort, money, transportation, and. . . .effort again, into bringing homemade stage boxes to your shows? If someone in my band suggested this, the rest of us would eat him. And piss on the carcass. I understand, I've done hard rock and prog-metal, it looks cool for members of a band to be elevated while doing neato things. But if your not using provided monitors or boxes built around in-house monitors. . .it seems like you're trying too hard to look cool. You're doing it wrong. Oh, and the guy who said placing your foot on monitors damages them. . . .what? I've gone through some pretty chunky stages and stepped on some cheap monitors. Not a one broke. Several of them thanked me for doing it. So f*ck yourself. If you're good enough to need stage boxes, your music will be so excellent that it will inspire fans to get on all fours and allow your band to stand on them. Until that day comes, the boxes can probably wait.
I wonder how many people here are actually in a band playing gigs. It's extra hassle to bring on a big stupid box to stand on, you'll look like a complete tool for even wanting to do that in the first place and a lot of the stages are only just big enough to get your pedals and amps and the drum kit on in the first place without some massive box cluttering the place up.
Quote by Trowzaa
Oh wow, I've never cringed at anything more in my life. I actually felt really awkward watching that.

same here explains why everyone is looking in the opposite direction....
Quote by Zeppelin71
Do you mean to tell me that you're actually going to put the time, effort, money, transportation, and. . . .effort again, into bringing homemade stage boxes to your shows? If someone in my band suggested this, the rest of us would eat him. And piss on the carcass. I understand, I've done hard rock and prog-metal, it looks cool for members of a band to be elevated while doing neato things. But if your not using provided monitors or boxes built around in-house monitors. . .it seems like you're trying too hard to look cool. You're doing it wrong. Oh, and the guy who said placing your foot on monitors damages them. . . .what? I've gone through some pretty chunky stages and stepped on some cheap monitors. Not a one broke. Several of them thanked me for doing it. So f*ck yourself. If you're good enough to need stage boxes, your music will be so excellent that it will inspire fans to get on all fours and allow your band to stand on them. Until that day comes, the boxes can probably wait.

Dude.

It's a box.

Chill.

Quote by Zoot Allures
I wonder how many people here are actually in a band playing gigs. It's extra hassle to bring on a big stupid box to stand on, you'll look like a complete tool for even wanting to do that in the first place and a lot of the stages are only just big enough to get your pedals and amps and the drum kit on in the first place without some massive box cluttering the place up.

I'm in a band. I've played many gigs. When one band brought one, they left it on stage. It's fun just to headbang or do whatever on, and it makes a nice place to leg-up while sweeping. You won't look like a complete tool, you'll look like a band that wanted to bring...a box.
Quote by blake1221
I'm in a band. I've played many gigs. When one band brought one, they left it on stage. It's fun just to headbang or do whatever on, and it makes a nice place to leg-up while sweeping. You won't look like a complete tool, you'll look like a band that wanted to bring...a box.

Seems silly. It's up there with steve vai bringing a fan on stage.
You guys need boxes to make you appear bigger for the crowd? Overcompensate much?
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by blake1221
Dude.

It's a box.

Chill.

I

to

act

out

for

attention.

and I hate boxes. They really get to me.
Fúcking boxes...

HOW DO THEY WORK!?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
No offense, but it doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult to build.

it looks like 5 pieces of 1/2" plywood, (probably pressure treated or something to resist changes in temp, etc.). I'd also imagine there are probably pieces of 2 x 4 inside to frame it, adding stregth and support.

That said, I've not yet built one of my own, so I could be way off....

What did you use to build build yours, that you were able to destroy them so fast?