Page 1 of 3
been hearing alot of half decent things about 7-strings but have never even tried one out, have played alot of 6 strings but still haven't found 'the one' yet, anyone have any suggestions? NO HARDCORE FANBOYS PLEASE, im trying to make my decision based upon what i am suggested, just dont want to be persuaded into a specific guitar. any and all advice welcomed, been checking ebay and it seems that alot of good guitars go from $100-1000, so if anyone has any they like around that range or for a little more, with specs NO TELES OR STRATS, ETC. it would be appreciated.

i am located in Newfoundland, Canada, i mainly play 80's/some 90's metallica, 80's GnR/a little MegaDeth, and Slayer. ive seen some Ibanez guitars there that look amazing, but im not sure if i want an ibanez, anyone have any particular brand/type that would be alright for me? EX: BC Rich, Kramer, Jackson, ETC.
Last edited by codymrc at May 25, 2011,
It all depends on how and what you want to play I play a six-stringer, haven't tried a seven-string tho I want to but I know the six strings are for me. Just my preference, less strings yet only 5 tones difference hah.
Quote by codymrc
i mainly play 80's/some 90's metallica, 80's GnR/a little MegaDeth, and Slayer. ive seen some Ibanez guitars there that look amazing, but im not sure if i want an ibanez, anyone have any particular brand/type that would be alright for me? EX: BC Rich, Kramer, Jackson, ETC.

6 string.
go with the 6 string

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
For the type of music you listen it seems six strings would be more fitting. I'm almost positive thats what all those band you listed use.
Quote by Dopemgs
It all depends on how and what you want to play I play a six-stringer, haven't tried a seven-string tho I want to but I know the six strings are for me. Just my preference, less strings yet only 5 tones difference hah.

+1

By the looks of your playing stylistically, I would suggest a 6 string..

Personally, I think you should have a good hold on playing 6 strings before you move to a 7.. I'm sure some would disagree and in their cases it's probably all about playing the lowest notes you can play in a breakdown but if you can't play a 6 string well, you honestly don't need a 7..
You only need a 7 string if you want to play lower tuned stuff. All the bands you mentioned play in Standard or E flat so a 7 string would be kind of pointless.
2009 Ibanez RG3EXFM1
2003 Ibanez RG220B
Line 6 Spider III 75
7 strings are cool if you like to tune down way low and get to those extra octaves, if you want that really heavy sound, like a lot of Dream Theater stuff. Or if you just want to mess around.

6 strings are good for everything else, you can't tune as low, but it still works.
It really just depends on if you have a problem with the extra string and the width of the neck.

I've played a few 7s and I don't have a problem with that so I would say go with a 7 if you like it since you already use it as a 6 but have the option to go up to the low B (or you could use it for a high A if you want)

Its up to you. Try some out and see if you like it.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
what you need is 6 strings since you groove on 80s mostly it seems...

a bc rich assassin would do you well I think. of course hamer, kramer, Ibanez and jackson make some fine choices too.

Really I think you should try em all on since they each have their own neck contours and such. and honestly, thats way more important that the way it sounds "out of the box". you can change the sound easy, but fit and feel, not so much.
i gotta say something here so i dont end up having a bunch more '6-string' comments, what would be a few different genres of metal to increase my chops? i can downpick master, i can go about 75% battery rhythm, a little bit of Damage, inc, most of sandman. i really need some songs to increase my solo's, i'm looking for a guitar to learn to shred and never look back, i currently own an ibanez Rg320, an Epi LP Special, and a Washburn v and neither of them are any good for my needs, i personally like the shape of explorers/SG's but im not sure which i like more yet.
Quote by stonyman65

, you can't tune as low, but it still works.

yes you can. It's the scale of the neck and the string gauge that counts. A 27 inch 6-string with heavy strings would handle low frequencies way better than a 25,5 inch 7 with light strings.

For those bands TS, I'd go with a nice 6.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
get a seven string bro, you can cash in on the current movement and play DJENTDJENTDJENTDJENTDJENTDJENTDJENTDJENTDJENTDJENTDJENTDJENTDJENT
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
i think you should go for a six string. if you don't listen to music that features seven string guitars, and aren't really interested in writing songs with a seven string...why?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Well, if you're in to Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer, getting an ESP might be a logical choice, as Metallica and Slayer mainly use them, and I think Dave Mustaine used to, but I'm not %100 sure.
As for whether to go for 6 or 7 strings, based on the bands you've listed, I'd say 6 without a doubt. But it's hard to make a choice if you haven't played both types.
Hey dude, **** yeah Newfoundland!

For the music you listed, I'd say six strings is all you need. However, if you wanted to get into a much lower end to your rhythm playing, or encorporating the bassier notes into classical influenced styles or huge arpeggios, then seven string. Believe me as a 7-string owner, you'll know when you need a seven string.

Also, I'm moving to St. John's in four weeks. My aunt lives out in Paradise, you're welcome to try my seven is you want
Quote by codymrc
i gotta say something here so i dont end up having a bunch more '6-string' comments, what would be a few different genres of metal to increase my chops? i can downpick master, i can go about 75% battery rhythm, a little bit of Damage, inc, most of sandman. i really need some songs to increase my solo's, i'm looking for a guitar to learn to shred and never look back, i currently own an ibanez Rg320, an Epi LP Special, and a Washburn v and neither of them are any good for my needs, i personally like the shape of explorers/SG's but im not sure which i like more yet.

Ok, all the info you provided doesnt change the fact that you dont "need" a certain guitar for metal. All the guitars you listed would work fine and now your talking about songs to increase your chops. Its seems to me your just here wasting everybodys time because you know what you want yet would rather ask for peoples opinions only to turn them away...
It depends on what you are looking for. Do you need the deeper low end or a lower tuning that can be obtained more easily through the extra string? I know I personally do love the string spacing on a 7 and had one at one point out of laziness. For some odd reason all the music I wanted to play at the time was either in E or B. It was so nice to not have to switch tunings, I ended up selling it because it didn't work well for me and I ended up hating the guitar itself. I would say what you play a standard 6 is about all you need. Though if you want to learn new techniques, expand what you do can do and everything else try out a few 7s they are very nice.
Quote by Pat_s1t
Hey dude, **** yeah Newfoundland!

For the music you listed, I'd say six strings is all you need. However, if you wanted to get into a much lower end to your rhythm playing, or encorporating the bassier notes into classical influenced styles or huge arpeggios, then seven string. Believe me as a 7-string owner, you'll know when you need a seven string.

Also, I'm moving to St. John's in four weeks. My aunt lives out in Paradise, you're welcome to try my seven is you want

Fuk yer dek b'y

- PEI

I jest, I jest

anyways, OP. I'd say go with a six, for every reason stated before.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Try one out if at all possible. Thats really the only way to know for sure if you're going to want one. Just by looking at the stuff you like to play though, it doesnt seem like you'd have much use for the extra string. The only people who really use it are chuggaholics and jazz fags. So if you can justify a use for it, then go for it. More range never hurt anyone.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Pat_s1t
^ I wish I knew what that meant

you must at least know the "b'y" reference
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Pat_s1t
^ Oh yeah, I know that. But what could Fuk yer Dek possibly mean?

I think he wants to do you.

Possibly in the penis.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

It really depends how you play. Do you just play along to other people's riffs all day or do you create your own music? You can use a 7 or 8-string however you want. It's not just a metal thing for people trying to sound as heavy as they can. You determine how to use the guitar. It all comes down to preference.
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
6 string...i've always considered 7 strings (and 8 strings) to be waste of money

You are wrong. That is all I have to say.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by bjoern_swe
yes you can. It's the scale of the neck and the string gauge that counts. A 27 inch 6-string with heavy strings would handle low frequencies way better than a 25,5 inch 7 with light strings.

For those bands TS, I'd go with a nice 6.

Really? I can't even imagine tuning down to G# or G on a 6 string..
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by Swannie
get a seven string bro, you can cash in on the current movement and play DJENTDJENTDJENTDJENTDJENTDJENTDJENTDJENTDJENTDJENTDJENTDJENTDJENT

Lol I used to play Djent on a 6 string tuned to G standard, with the 6th string somtimes dropped to octave E. Brootal.
METAL!
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
6 string...i've always considered 7 strings (and 8 strings) to be waste of money

You are wrong. Oh so very wrong.

OT: It sounds like a good 6 string would suit you better than a 7 at this point in your musical endeavor. Unless you really, really crave the lower end and extended range a 7 offers. Then I'd say go for the seven.

As far as brands, there are a million brands out there. If you can, try a bunch out. Go down to a local music store and spend the day there, playing every guitar in sight. Look mostly for feel/comfort, because with a pickup swap, you can change it's tone to virtually anything you need/want it to sound like. Of course, I'm not saying that a good out of the box tone isn't desired, I'm just saying it's not the only factor when looking into a new guitar.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Quote by codymrc

Practise some scales :P Also, don't downpick Master Of Puppets. Just alternate/econmy pick it, it's much smarter like that.

I don't shred but I've heard Jacksons shred :P Like explorers? Oh, get a Kelly. They Ke-3 is a damn good guitar too.
Quote by codymrc

If you want to get better at solo's, try learning some scales and then try playing anything old-skool. That could be Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin, but Black Sabbath, Judas Priest or Iron Maiden as well.

For the guitar, if you want a 7-string I'd suggest you pick one with a 27" scale. The standard ones make the 7th string too floppy, especially if you drop tune it.

But whether you take a 7-string or a 6-string, TRY BEFORE YOU BUY !
Quote by Lord_Doku
For the guitar, if you want a 7-string I'd suggest you pick one with a 27" scale. The standard ones make the 7th string too floppy, especially if you drop tune it.

My 7 string is 25.5" scale in drop G some of the time and I have no problems with string tension, you just need a large enough string.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
My 7 string is 25.5" scale in drop G some of the time and I have no problems with string tension, you just need a large enough string.

Could be, I was just saying that because I've played many 7-strings with that scale length on my hunt for a new guitar and most if not all of them had a floppy 7th string in drop G.

I guess to each guitar his own
Quote by Lord_Doku
Could be, I was just saying that because I've played many 7-strings with that scale length on my hunt for a new guitar and most if not all of them had a floppy 7th string in drop G.

I guess to each guitar his own

Stock 7 string sets are pretty bad, not going to lie. I wouldn't use any of the standard sets that they sell, I always get a 6 string set and then buy an extra single to get the tension on the 7th to my taste.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Aren't there so, so many threads with this topic already?

Quote by stonyman65
Really? I can't even imagine tuning down to G# or G on a 6 string..
well... it's just an extra string you know. put the same string-gauge on a sixer and you're good to go.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You are wrong. That is all I have to say.

Listen to this man. He's probably older and wiser than all of you.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
@ valennic
Gear Fund for Carvin V3: 0$/1200$
Gear Fund for Krappy 12 string: 0$/800$
Gear Fund for Agile 8 string: 0$/800$

I swear all those numbers have stayed the same for a couple of months man. Can't you save or something
TS, have you gone to Long and McQuade over on Kenmount yet to see if they have any 7 strings? I doubt they do, but you can try anyway. Music City downtown sells Ibanez and Schecter as well, they might have an ERG somewhere.
Judging by your music taste i'd go for a 6 string original poster.
Nothing you currently want to play would utilise a 7 string mate.
Quote by Pat_s1t
TS, have you gone to Long and McQuade over on Kenmount yet to see if they have any 7 strings? I doubt they do, but you can try anyway. Music City downtown sells Ibanez and Schecter as well, they might have an ERG somewhere.

only good guitars they sell there are gibsons and fenders (no 7 strings there that have seen, i live in mt pearl so long isnt that far for me XD), anything good for metal has to be ordered in... 1 month wait ffs. i'm definetly going to check out Music city, see what they have in terms of shred demons, looking for an explorer/V/Warlock/Anything that looks good and has good access, trem/String thru body.
^ Really? When I was there in August they had a good few Jacksons and Ibanez guitars in there, they even had a super fancy JEM. It's a shame they don't deal ESP or Schecter, you know?

Also, out of curiosity, what high school did you go to? Your profile says 1991 so you might have been graduated for a while, but I have friends that go to O'Donel so I just wanted to know. It's not very often you get a fellow Newf on UG, since our whole province has less people than most cities.

Oh and if you're interested, I might sell my ESP LTD EC-1000 when I move out in a month. If you wanted it we could work something out.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at May 26, 2011,
Page 1 of 3