ok so right now i have an epi les paul special 2...its a decent guitar...but since my band is getting serious and all...its time for an upgrade...im left handed so i dont have many options...and ive narrowed it down to 2 guitars...epiphone dot or les paul standard...i asked a question similar to this but like...i found out the lp standard is the same price as the dot
i play pop punk/alternative stuff...i go from bands like green day to blink 182 to angels and airwaves...i know billie joe (green day) plays a les paul..and tom delonge (blink ava etc) plays a es335...so that doesnt really help lol
i use a lot of gain...and i heard the dot gets feedback with a lot of gain...and i like that...but do u think itd be better for me than the lp...i love the look of the dot...so ya...idk help me decide please
Les Paul Standard is the way to go! I own one and it hasn't let me down in 2 years it has a lot more care and craftsmanship then the dot, might I tell you that the Les Paul Standard is handcrafted!
I'd go with the LP for sure, hollowbodies have pretty intense feedback issues and are usually only good for cleans and low gain (think jazz). Since you're American, you might want to look into Agile. While I don't think that they're better than Gibson LP Standards like some people believe, they are definitely better than an Epiphone, and cheaper too. They're only sold at the link below, and are super cheap because of no advertising and no retail markup.
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss14.html

If that link ever 404's, just go right to Rondomusic.

EDIT: ^ To above, the Epiphone LP Standard is NOT handcrafted. It's cut my machines, and the only man-powered assembly in the process is all the electronics, hardware and probably the tuners. I don't even think the necks are glued in by hand.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at May 25, 2011,
If possible I'd say to try it. I know this is the advice everyone will give, but it is the best. If possible use your amp and distortion pedal, that is the only way you can know. Also check the features of both and see which one works better for you feature wise just in case.
I have a Dot, the Worn Cherry Studio one, i like it, works fine, but you would really have to try them both out. i have a gibson Les Paul Classic, that one beats my Dot out of the water, but try both out. My Dot seems fine with distortion and stuff. But try them both, listen to everyones advice, then try them out, and then you can truly know
^ You're an idiot. Since when does China produce anything of high quality? Never. Ever. Handcrafted does not mean they took chunks of wood, hand cut, routed, glued, sanded, arch-topped, slotted the fretboard, filed the frets and made everything from scratch. They took body blanks and necks, glued them together, then installed nickel hardware and some intermediate level electronics.

punk is pretty distorted, the more distorted, the less you can hear the subtle differences between guitars, especially these 2.

just go play some and see which you prefer.

I had both at 1 point. both were good, quite similar but different. ES335 was a bit smoother.
I always went for my les paul, so I ended up selling the ES335, because they were so similar that I didn't need both of them....
---
A new Epi STD is $399 these days after the recent price reduction. It would be better suited for your needs at this time IMO. Some higher end Agiles are reported to be nicer, but you won't get to play one before buying, and the by the time you add shipping and any taxes you'd be hard out to get in under the $400 mark. (unless you're buying a <$300 model which isn't going to better than the EPi.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
A new Epi STD is $399 these days after the recent price reduction. It would be better suited for your needs at this time IMO. Some higher end Agiles are reported to be nicer, but you won't get to play one before buying, and the by the time you add shipping and any taxes you'd be hard out to get in under the $400 mark. (unless you're buying a <$300 model which isn't going to better than the EPi.
That'd be true if he was Canadian like us, we have to pay out the ass for Agiles. But since he's American, taxes and shipping is literally like $30. Pay $450 with taxes and shipping for an AL-3100, and he's set. Not to undersell Epi Standards, they're still decent. Just not as good as the 3100, probably closer to the 2000.
as much as the LP is the obvious choice, I think the DOT is the better choice. you aren't going to be using super-high gain, so feedback shouldn't be unmanageable on the SEMI-hollowbodied dot.

i think the dot will give your clean/barely dirty tones a bit more life without really sacrificing your gainier tones
My dot plays great clean and dirty. Haven't ran into any feedback problems either.
2010 Epiphone Dot
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
2009 Taylor 110 acoustic
MORE DOTS!

The cheaper LPs generally sound kind of flat and murky. No life to them at all.

Sounds like you really prefer the Dot, but just feel like you ought to get the Les Paul because it's a Les Paul. Note: Don't get the Les Paul just because it's a Les Paul. It's not a superior instrument by any stretch of the imagination.

You might like the Epiphone Tom DeLonge model. It's basically a Dot, but voiced for high-gain pop-punk.

You won't get much feedback on a Dot at all. It's semi-hollow, not full hollow. Semi-hollows in my experience only feed back when you want them to (and even then, I can't get any feedback on my Gibson without leaning in front of the amp and cranking the volume all the way up).

If you want something a bit better-made, get an Ibanez Artcore semi-hollow. Same price as the Dot, similar specs, but it plays a lot better. Schecter make some good semi-hollows too.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Last edited by sonic_777111 at May 26, 2011,
Quote by sonic_777111

If you want something a bit better-made, get an Ibanez Artcore semi-hollow. Same price as the Dot, similar specs, but it plays a lot better. Schecter make some good semi-hollows too.

Or save some cash and get a used MIK Sheraton II (or other MIK Epi semi-hollow). Better than what you'll get new from China today.
Quote by sonic_777111
MORE DOTS!

The cheaper LPs generally sound kind of flat and murky. No life to them at all.

Sounds like you really prefer the Dot, but just feel like you ought to get the Les Paul because it's a Les Paul. Note: Don't get the Les Paul just because it's a Les Paul. It's not a superior instrument by any stretch of the imagination.

You might like the Epiphone Tom DeLonge model. It's basically a Dot, but voiced for high-gain pop-punk.

You won't get much feedback on a Dot at all. It's semi-hollow, not full hollow. Semi-hollows in my experience only feed back when you want them to (and even then, I can't get any feedback on my Gibson without leaning in front of the amp and cranking the volume all the way up).

Totally disagree that the ibanez are better made.
2010 Epiphone Dot
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
2009 Taylor 110 acoustic
Quote by dragoro
Totally disagree that the ibanez are better made.

Depends on the model. The higher-end models tend to be REALLY GOOD (like what you'd get if you were paying Epiphone prices), but the sub-$400 stuff is, well, sub-$400 stuff and plays as such. An AS93 will play better than an AS73, in my experience.

Though, the same could be said for Sheraton vs. Dot.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
the tom delonge es 333 blows my lp std outta the water, the pup in the 333 sounds sick and feedback isnt too bad. but it sounded so much better than my lp that i went and got a new pup for the lp so i wouldnt have 1 amazing sounding guitar and a crap sounding one.
The feedback on the DOT is not that bad! Just don't stand next right next to your amp and you'll be fine.

I own the LP Standard and play in a punk rock band too. It'll definitely handle what you're looking for in terms of sound and feel. The Dot will be able to handle it also, and you'll get slightly better cleans out of it too. Really it all depends on feel. Go to your local store and play them both. See with one feels better in your hands and sounds better to your ears. Then pick the winner, its that easy.
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
omg dont do it! he can hack your amp get the b00tiful t00b t0anz