Page 1 of 3
When I get older I might move to Canada from America because Canada overall seems a lot better then America. How easy is it to applying for citizenship in Canada?
I dunno but I heard they're all scared of the dark, man.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

please elaborate why you think canada is so great. also, have you considered that the weather is awful for many months of the year
Quote by TurboPubx16
please elaborate why you think canada is so great. also, have you considered that the weather is awful for many months of the year

Better healthcare, lower crime rate, less conservatives.
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Well...I'm assuming your white and speak English, so be prepared to be randomly forced out of the country, beaten, molested, or arrested for no apparentl reason. Now, if you have brown skin or are Asian, the country and everyone in it is your bitch. Really all you need to know.

Well, I speak English and I'm Chinese by heritage.
I may be wrong, but from what I've been told by friends who live in Canada, it is like America with less to do and more cheese and hockey. Also, every celebrity from Canada I know - music and movies - moved out of Canada at their earliest convenience.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I'm pretty sure California > Canada..

This. Also any major metropolitan area will have similar crime rates, and trust me, there are still alot of conservatives here. We just elected a conservative majority government.

EDIT: Health care is a plus though. The weather is ultra shitty 5 months of the year though.

Quote by bass-boy-garith
Well...I'm assuming your white and speak English, so be prepared to be randomly forced out of the country, beaten, molested, or arrested for no apparentl reason. Now, if you have brown skin or are Asian, the country and everyone in it is your bitch. Really all you need to know.

No...Just no
Last edited by Lost Dog at May 25, 2011,
Quote by Lost Dog
This. Also any major metropolitan area will have similar crime rates, and trust me, there are still alot of conservatives here. We just elected a conservative majority government.

Yeah but your Conservatives seem a lot less retarded then out Conservatives.
Quote by bass-boy-garith

Nope.
Last.fm

"Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time."

Quote by katalyzt13
I may be wrong, but from what I've been told by friends who live in Canada, it is like America with less to do and more cheese and hockey. Also, every celebrity from Canada I know - music and movies - moved out of Canada at their earliest convenience.
It also has a ton of good bands and a rational healthcare system.
If you can get over the cold weather Canada is one of the greatest countries in the world. There are high taxes but its also for good reason. Much more liberal than the states.

In terms of applying for citizenship I wouldn't personally know since I was born here but I believe it isn't too difficult of a process. You will probably need to take a test regarding our history and stuff but for the most part I wouldn't expect it to be too hard.
[Insert something clever here]
Quote by due 07
It also has a ton of good bands and a rational healthcare system.

So if someone started up a Metal band in Canada and someone started up a Metal band in America who would have a better chance?
Canada > Rest of the world.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Don't make these decisions when your young, Wait till your a lot older and can actually make a knowledgeable decision. Actually do research, youtubing stuff for an hour isn't enough to make a right choice.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
i dont know what the rest of you are talking about but Canada is awesome i live here, the weather really isn't an issue, yes it snows in the winter and late fall but the summers are amazing and get quite warm (not just by Canadian standards) the free health care thing is great and we have better education for the most part. so i say do it depending on the city you want to move to.
Flip a coin, heads US, tails Canada, off chance it lands on its side, you can read peoples mind (hoping 1 person gets that reference)
Quote by Trowzaa
I dunno but I heard they're all scared of the dark, man.

It's true, we've seen like 9 black people and we don't want any trouble.
he average temperature here is 1.4C, yes it is cold. considering some places can hit +40C in the summer.
::type i'm here to stir the $h!t

Quote by Cyngus
we have better education for the most part.

Are you talking about higher education? Because I am going to have to call bullshit on that one.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Quote by WaterGod
Hating your own country is a phase you'll grow out of it eventually.

I'll be honest, I can't imagine life without living in California, its just that there's a lot of things in America that are just bullshit. It would be great if California somehow became a Canadian province.
Quote by CannedBullets
So if someone started up a Metal band in Canada and someone started up a Metal band in America who would have a better chance?

The Canadian one would be 10x better.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Quote by rox355
I think Im the only person actually answering his question but it is fairly easy to get citizenship.It is based on a point system with points given for age, knowledge of language(both french & english) formal education and vocational training etc.

So you have to learn French to be a Canadian citizen? If so I'm screwed.
Quote by hawk5211
This, and where is snow lake?

It's in Manitoba. A bit up north. About 350ish km from Thompson.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Quote by CannedBullets
Better healthcare, lower crime rate, less conservatives.

I thought the conservatives outnumbered the liberals in the last canadian election?
Quote by CannedBullets
So you have to learn French to be a Canadian citizen? If so I'm screwed.

Wow that's kind of unfair. Neither me nor anyone I know can speak french, and I LIVE in Canada
Quote by wyldething
Are you talking about higher education? Because I am going to have to call bullshit on that one.

Some of the top Canadian universities stack up fine against most American colleges (with a more manageable tuition). Don't undersell McGill, U of T, UBC, etc. He's probably talking about the public education which is considerably better than the American variety though.

The weather isn't a big deal. It'll hit -25 and lower in the winter and 40+ in the summer, but that's why they invented air conditioning, coats, and tuques. It's not really that different than northern America in most areas, and if you move to the GTA area you'll get slightly better weather than Buffalo, for example.

I honestly don't know the specifics about immigration here. I'd imagine if you have marketable skills/a job lined up (like, a legitimate one, not flipping burgers), you won't have very much trouble. I know we are easier to immigrate to than a fair few western nations.

That being said, it's a big life decision. Think about it carefully and in depth, learn a hell of a lot about Canada, and see if it is the right fit for you. You shouldn't move on a whim or because we are 'more liberal'.
since when do you need to learn french to be a canadian citizen.

when i got mine there were some chanks who could barely speak english.
Quote by WaterGod
I thought the conservatives outnumbered the liberals in the last canadian election?

That's because the left vote is split brohemian.

You need to learn french in school here, it is compulsory to have grade 9 french to get a high school diploma. We start french in grade 4 or 5 normally (I can't remember which one, it's been a while lol) and you can choose whether to drop it or not after you pass grade 9 french. If you immigrate here, you won't need to learn french unless you want to take a trip to Trois Rivieres or somewhere else outside of the Montreal area in Quebec.
Quote by bass-boy-garith
No you don't. The country is filled with several million people that cant speak a single word of English or french. Go to Richmond BC, half of the bloody signs are in Chinese!

truth is spoken here
^ I started French in the first grade, dropped it at the end of grade 9 like a hot pan (I even counted the number of classes left ). You don't have to learn a word of French if you don't want to TS. Montreal is more than accommodating for Anglophones (save for the signs, **** Quebec and it's pro-culturalist bullshit), and really other than Quebec City for a bit of sight seeing you don't want to go outside those two cities. Quebec people generally just are not nice and have really overinflated egos as far as I can tell. Obviously there are loads of exceptions, I'm just saying I don't like them a whole lot collectively.
I'd advise against coming to Vancouver if you're from Cali lol (not sure where you actually wanna go). We don't get snow in the winter and we don't get sun in the summer.
It's just clouds...clouds and rain. It's extremely depressing.
Page 1 of 3