So I work for a small company as an electronic technician. I make decent pay, work with amazing people, I know my job well, and its a steady 730 to 400 pm mon through friday job. Its pretty much the best job I've ever had.....but I find myself in a dilema...

I was recently offered a field service job that's a little better pay but a lot of driving and sporadic working hours. But there's a good chance it will turn into a management position and there's the potential to make tons of money. Its not heavy electronic work like im used to, but instead its basic hospital lab equipment and such.

I want to go to this new job, but im afraid its not going to be what I hope it is. I know ill meet other cool people and such, but its such a huge change from what im used to...

Im not necessarily asking for advice as to whether to switch or not, but instead im wondering if any of you folks have been through something like this and how you decided...just looking for moral support I guess. Its a decision that will change where I live and how I live my life. Im scared shitless haha
i play drums and guitar :
Just got to weigh up the odds. Does the driving etc mean you'll actually be receiving better pay and how likely is it you could go into management?
Check out my fitness blog here
If there's lots of driving involved, you'll most likely be spending a lot of money on petrol, unless you're driving a company car and they're paying for petrol. If you love doing what you're currently doing, then stick with it. You might not enjoy the new job, and nobody wants to work full time doing something they hate, waking up each morning dreading it. Don't let the money turn you into a greedy bastard. If you seem to be living fine with the money you're earning at the moment, stick with it.
Quote by Will Swanson
Pull your scrotum out, and smear it over your walls.

Vast turbulence of meteors and galactic dust..
Parallel undefined measurements..
Time has new form, life has new form..
i don't have experience with jobs, but if i was in your position i probably wouldn't change jobs because you seem happy with it, and you might not like the environment at the other job.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
I'd go where the best potential earnings lie but that's just me. I'll be working some 60 hour weeks come September in a part of the country I am not at all familiar with
Quote by laid-to-waste
i don't have experience with jobs, but if i was in your position i probably wouldn't change jobs because you seem happy with it, and you might not like the environment at the other job.

You have to take risks in order to move forward. A good career should be the most fulfilling aspect of your life.
Quote by Death_switch
You have to take risks in order to move forward. A good career should be the most fulfilling aspect of your life.

Work to live, don't live to work!
Check out my fitness blog here
Quote by Death_switch

A career you are satisfied with should be the most fulfilling aspect of your life not necessarily a good career. so my advice is to weigh up the odds and choose the job that you feel will be most pleasurable to do as working fulltime in a job or in a way you do not like regardless of the money or promotion prospects is one horrible experience (believe me i am doing it right now and wish i could get out)
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Laney Lc15110 230 G Tube Combo 15W
Presonus Audiobox USB

check out http://soundcloud.com/
eddiechance
Quote by maiden_man_666
Work to live, don't live to work!

Tell this to my father.

Anyway I'd say weigh the options, the job you work at now sounds pretty good but if the other one could come with better pay and management then that's definitely a plus... Maybe you should find out more about the potential new job (unless you already know a lot about it) and then figure it out.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Quote by Death_switch

i would rather settle at a job i am happy with than chase a never ending fantasy tbh. i'd work for promotions to get ahead.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Are you guys for real? As an adult you will spend most of your time in the workplace. 'Settling' is fine but how long would you be contempt with the same thing? Personally I intend to get as far ahead as I can as quickly as I can. There is no way I want to go day by day following the same routine, it'd drive me crazy.

Being happy is important though because if you are unhappy you will come to resent work and be miserable so it really depends on your character and approach to work. I am comfortable with change and added pressure but some people aren't. If you don't think you'll be comfortable in a new environment don't move but remember, if you're ambitious and want to progress in your career then you will have to take a step into the unknown at some point. Don't let nerves hold you back.
No one ever got anywhere good without taking a few risks. I'd say go with the new one.
Remember when you were in 5th grade and you loved all the kids you went to school with? But then your parents wanted to move to a different city and you'd have to go to a different school. Sure you were skeptical and nervous about switching, but everything turned out all right, didn't it?

...didn't it?
1998 Ibanez Prestige S2540
2005 Ibanez RG570
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
Quote by YngwieLi
Remember when you were in 5th grade and you loved all the kids you went to school with? But then your parents wanted to move to a different city and you'd have to go to a different school. Sure you were skeptical and nervous about switching, but everything turned out all right, didn't it?

...didn't it?

If only working was like being at school though
Just don't burn any bridges at your current job. Let them know up front that you want to try something different and are looking at a new opportunity. If you have been a decent employee and the new gig doesn't work out you may still have the option of returning to your previous employer. I can't tell you to take the new job or not. That's a decision only you can make. What I can tell you is if you don't take it don't dwell upon the what ifs? that will set in and nag at you for the rest of your life.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Ask yourself this: if you didn't have to work for money, what would you do?

If you'd do the job your doing now, then stay there.

If you'd do the other, then take the job.

"Do something you love and you will never work a day in your life." -Confucius

Remember, money is a means to an end. You make it, you spend it, and in the end, you leave it behind.
Quote by bluehawk15620
I was recently offered a field service job that's a little better pay but a lot of driving and sporadic working hours. But there's a good chance it will turn into a management position and there's the potential to make tons of money. Its not heavy electronic work like im used to, but instead its basic hospital lab equipment and such.

More driving means more fuel, replacing tires/brakes,etc = your cost of working is more. Unless the company provides you this separately of course through an auto allowance or company vehicle. Management is not all its cracked up to be. Usually it means more responsibility and hours which equals more stress. Some people can do it, some people can't. I've seen many come and go in my industry. Sporadic hours could mean less hours which equals less pay unless you are on fixed salary.

There are some good responses in this thread and I used to be gung ho too. After you age a little bit you realize that as long as you are just working for someone else they are going to exploit the hell out of you to make profit. No job you take is in your best interest, unless you own your own company. I'm to the point where its like, F it, I'm not chasing that carrot anymore. I'm doing what I want to do. If it makes a little less money who cares, I have to make me and my family happy. Getting $500 an hour isn't worth being stressed to the max all the time and not having any time to do the things you want like play guitar or be with your family... ESPECIALLY when that time is spent slaving for someone else. Think about it.
Last edited by samhell at May 26, 2011,
If you're fine with your job now, stay with it. If you want to work for a bigger prize, then go for the new job. Rarely people just land jobs in big places - they work real freaking hard for it. Provided the company pays for the petrol/repairs (like a trucker for example) and the changes of getting on the career ladder are better, i'd go for the new job.
Thanks for the replies guys...

The new job is a small company that doesn't have a dedicated field service dept. So that's where I come in...the plan is to train me and then ill be" field service manager" and then hire new folks to work under me. They also give me a car allowance each month which is to helpwith gas etc....

The management part is what I want. Im pretty much as far as I can go position wise where im at now so there isn't much to look forward to here. Advancement and more money is what I want.
i play drums and guitar :
if you're on good terms wish the job you're at now, give good times notice you're leaving and reasons why, coudln't you potentially return if all does not go according to plan?
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Are you bored of being an electronics technician? I know I am and I've only done it for 5 months.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen